Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Daleclose
    • By Daleclose 8th Feb 18, 6:21 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Daleclose
    I bought goods but apparently I dont have contract
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:21 PM
    I bought goods but apparently I dont have contract 8th Feb 18 at 6:21 PM
    Good evening all.

Back in November 2016 I bought a clutch and flywheel kit on my eBay account using my PayPal account and my debit card. However because I was not going to be in I entered a friend's details in to the" delivery" section.

This clutch later failed within a couple of weeks and caused substantial damage meaning a new clutch and flywheel, gearbox, driveshaft and second lot of labour was then necessary.

I complained to the company (nationwide clutch distributors) and sent them the damaged parts along with a letter from the mechanic describing how the parts had failed catastrophically.

The supplier has :madnot denied that the parts are faulty but have however said that they do not have a contract of sale with me as per the following excerpt from their latest letter:

Dear Mr close
    With regard to your further letter of 1st Feb 2018, regardless of who pays for any goods, my company's contract of sale is with the person we were requested to send those goods to, that person is therefore the receiver of those goods and not anyone else.

Well I find this completely preposterous, and if they are indeed trying to deceive me then I believe that this is also in itself an offence under the consumer protection from unfair trading regulations 2008.

Any advice that anyone could offer would be gratefully received as I am now then a little annoyed since this has now been on going for more than a year.

Many thanks Indeed
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Feb 18, 6:43 PM
    • 19,882 Posts
    • 15,595 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:43 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:43 PM
    They're trying it on, send them a Letter Before Action and if that doesn't work commence a Small Claim.
    • stragglebod
    • By stragglebod 8th Feb 18, 7:06 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    stragglebod
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:06 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:06 PM
    The contract is not with the person they sent the goods to. It's with the person they made the contract with. You.
    • Daleclose
    • By Daleclose 9th Feb 18, 12:51 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Daleclose
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:51 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:51 PM
    Thanks guys. That's basically just what I thought. Can't believe they are trying to mislead consumers about their rights
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 9th Feb 18, 1:26 PM
    • 2,112 Posts
    • 1,168 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:26 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:26 PM
    Good evening all.

Back in November 2016 I bought a clutch and flywheel kit on my eBay account using my PayPal account and my debit card. However because I was not going to be in I entered a friend's details in to the" delivery" section.

This clutch later failed within a couple of weeks and caused substantial damage meaning a new clutch and flywheel, gearbox, driveshaft and second lot of labour was then necessary.

I complained to the company (nationwide clutch distributors) and sent them the damaged parts along with a letter from the mechanic describing how the parts had failed catastrophically.

The supplier has :madnot denied that the parts are faulty but have however said that they do not have a contract of sale with me as per the following excerpt from their latest letter:

Dear Mr close
    With regard to your further letter of 1st Feb 2018, regardless of who pays for any goods, my company's contract of sale is with the person we were requested to send those goods to, that person is therefore the receiver of those goods and not anyone else.

Well I find this completely preposterous, and if they are indeed trying to deceive me then I believe that this is also in itself an offence under the consumer protection from unfair trading regulations 2008.

Any advice that anyone could offer would be gratefully received as I am now then a little annoyed since this has now been on going for more than a year.

Many thanks Indeed
    Originally posted by Daleclose
    You purchased it in November 2016.
    It fails a few weeks later presumably in December 2016
    You wrote another letter in February 2018, thirteen months later. Apart from sending it back some time between December 2016 and January 2018. What happened between December 2016 and January 2018? Why the delay in the subsequent letter?
    Last edited by Inner Zone; 09-02-2018 at 2:29 PM. Reason: Spilling
    • Daleclose
    • By Daleclose 13th Feb 18, 6:58 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Daleclose
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:58 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:58 AM
    There was a lot of to and fro. I laid out what I expected with regards to compensation, they asked me to send the item to them which I did. And eventually there was many letters forward and back when they were saying they couldn't find any record of the purchase.. I sent letters with PayPal and eBay screen shots to prove that I had indeed bought from them. They then told me that it was not my name that was on there but that of the delivery details. I then argued this and sent all screenshots again along with a bank statement to prove it had come from my account. That was when they sent their final letter explaining that the contract wasn't with me. The process has been more drawn out then perhaps it should have been owing to me having moved 3 times during this period because of my job.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 13th Feb 18, 8:26 AM
    • 4,258 Posts
    • 4,301 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:26 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:26 AM
    See post #2.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,780Posts Today

8,242Users online

Martin's Twitter