Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kieran2001
    • By Kieran2001 8th Feb 18, 6:03 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Kieran2001
    Moving from Bought House to Long-Term Rented
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:03 PM
    Moving from Bought House to Long-Term Rented 8th Feb 18 at 6:03 PM
    Hello,

Me and my parents currently live in a 3 bed room house in a town on the outskirts of County Durham. We are planning to move to a 3 bed room rented house in the same town, which has a smaller footprint, as my parents donít want to deal with the possibility of anything going wrong in the house as my parent has a low income and has recently split from my other parents permanently after 25+ years.

My parents have had a mortgage on the house for about 20 years, and the mortgage still has a few decades left and the price of the mortgage isnít going down, pretty much just paying the interest. My parent has received a 25% reduction as she is the the only adult living in the house.

My parents concern is that if they move from mortgage to rented, they will have to pay council tax until the mortgaged house sells which could be 3-6 Months. Is there any additional reduction schemes she can use, as she is on low income and divorced? She is unable to pay 2 council taxes, however she also canít afford to pay for repairs if thereís faults in the house, such as a pipe bursting, two breaking etc.

Thanks fo any advice, and let me know if you need any further information to assist me.
Page 4
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,757Posts Today

8,292Users online

Martin's Twitter