Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JohnD90
    • By JohnD90 8th Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JohnD90
    Advice on splitting equity of the house.
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    Advice on splitting equity of the house. 8th Feb 18 at 5:01 PM
    Hi,

Ideally after some advice, as I am looking to be bought out of a joint owned house with my ex partner.

On the deeds upon buying the house I am at 25% of ownership as the other half inherited money from a family member.

The value of the house has increased and approx a sum of 70,000 of equity in the house. Due to the deeds am I only entitled to 25% of this sum? I am unsure as obviously after the initial deposit we paid equally on the mortgage. So Is there something I can do legally that I am missing? The initial value was 120,000.

Apologies if this question is a stupid one and Thank You in advance for any advice.

John
Page 1
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 9th Feb 18, 1:11 AM
    • 2,068 Posts
    • 1,392 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:11 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:11 AM
    How was the original 120k paid for ie you/yourpartner/mortgage?

What is the property worth now and how much is the mortgage outstanding.

You should have had a deed of trust which set out how net proceeds of a sale were to be shared in a case like this where there is unequal deposit, but the mortgage shared 50/50. As you have seen its not as simple as saying we own 25%/75%.

You don't have it documented but at least you can work out what your fair share should be and seek to agree that with your ex partner.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

348Posts Today

4,187Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin