Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fabricfanatic
    • By fabricfanatic 8th Feb 18, 4:31 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    fabricfanatic
    Clueless, please help.
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:31 PM
    Clueless, please help. 8th Feb 18 at 4:31 PM
    Hello,

I'll start by briefly explaining my situation. I'm 20 and because of certain circumstances, i need to take care of our bills (my parents house) I have no idea what's reasonable etc and i'm totally lost, not at all energy-aware unfortunately.

We live in a semi detached 3 bedroom house (or 4 bedroom? the garage was turned into a bedroom). 5 people live in the home, 3 adults, 2 kids. 2 of us are at home most of the day. we use the cooker everyday for couple of hours. heating is never on very high. lots of little gadgets phones, tablets that need charging.

We're with ovo energy atm and when I was signing up, I had no idea how this whole energy thing worked at all I was quoted 60 a month so i thought it was like a phone contact - fixed, so i switched over. (very silly - I know) So now, 60 direct debits is being paid monthly but obviously we're being charged a lot more than i expected:
    Gas:
    Unit rate: 2.97p/kWh
    Standing charge: 27.40p/day

Electric:
    Unit rate: 13.26p/kWh
    Standing charge: 27.40p/day

December:
    Electricity 827kWh
    Electricity 122.26
    Gas 3935kWh
    Gas 129.47
    Total charges 256.75

January:
    Electricity 595kWh
    Electricity 87.39
    Gas 3287kWh
    Gas 106.11
    Total charges 198.07

These were based on estimated readings. I've sent the reading for February and I'll see how much we are billed. But do these two seem reasonable. Could we get much cheaper?

Also, where do I start with understanding the whole energy thing?? It's so confusing.

Thank you very much for your help, much appreciated!!
Page 1
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 8th Feb 18, 5:25 PM
    • 1,477 Posts
    • 63,463 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:25 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:25 PM
    Your BIGGGG problem here is the fact that Ovo have been using estimated readings which could be well in excess of the actual consumption.

Was there much difference between the actual readings you supplied and their estimates as detailed on the bills?

What you need are the meter readings from when Ovo took over the supply and the current readings now.

Using these it should be simple to work out how much you should have paid.

Electricity is starightforward.

Gas - multiply the readings by 11.22 (this figure is not exact but is a good enough estimate) to get to Kwh, then if the meter has M3 for cubic meters on it multply nthe result by your unit rate of 2.97p.

If the gas meter has FT3 on it for cubic feet then multiply the answer above by 2.8 to convert the M3 cost to FT3 cost.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

91Posts Today

1,368Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin