Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 8th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    • 2,294Posts
    • 4,270Thanks
    SamsReturn
    The Hide in Ikea Challenge.
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    The Hide in Ikea Challenge. 8th Feb 18 at 4:06 PM
    An 11-year-old boy sparked a missing person investigation after spending a night hiding in an Ikea store as part of an internet craze.
    Kaden Mirza was reported missing on Tuesday after failing to return from school. He was found the next day after a night in Ikea's Sheffield store.
    Abid Mirza said his son had been taking part in a "Stay in Ikea overnight and not get caught challenge".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-42990341

It got me thinking when i read this story, where have you hidden when you were young, or even as a grown-up. I remember as kids we'd go on the Mersey Ferry and not get off at the other side, we'd hide somewhere, and as soon as the next lot of passengers came on, we could cross the river again.
Page 1
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 8th Feb 18, 6:28 PM
    • 34,292 Posts
    • 127,189 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:28 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:28 PM
    An 11-year-old boy sparked a missing person investigation after spending a night hiding in an Ikea store as part of an internet craze.
    Kaden Mirza was reported missing on Tuesday after failing to return from school. He was found the next day after a night in Ikea's Sheffield store.
    Abid Mirza said his son had been taking part in a "Stay in Ikea overnight and not get caught challenge".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-42990341

Originally posted by SamsReturn
    That sounds like a cracking idea! I wonder who thought of it first?

Trouble is, all IKEAs will be on red alert for kids now.

The only place I've hidden was in a wardrobe when I wanted to be left alone.
    One of the family came looking for me and actually opened the wardrobe door, but didn't see me crouched in the corner behind the clothes.

A bit later, my mother came looking (she was probably getting worried) and I must have moved slightly, because she found me, and then gave me what for!

I doubt I could have hidden anywhere overnight, not if it meant missing my tea!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 8th Feb 18, 6:59 PM
    • 34,292 Posts
    • 127,189 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:59 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:59 PM
    I was yelled at by my babysitter once. She was going on and on about her weight and, being the sort of soul who wants to help everyone, I remembered about diets and suggested she go on one. I didn't realise this wasn't something you were supposed to say. My mum eventually came home from wherever she'd been and found me cowering in my wardrobe.

Weirdly, a few years ago, I took to sitting in my wardrobe when I was having a panic attack. I find small spaces strangely calming.
    Originally posted by Penitent
    Yes, they are. They are womb substitutes.

I used to love crawling into a cardboard box.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 8th Feb 18, 7:10 PM
    • 3,077 Posts
    • 3,330 Thanks
    littleredhen
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:10 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:10 PM
    When I was little I hid in my dad's tallboy (remember those!?) the door was ajar so I got in, unfortunately the secret to opening the door was to press the top right hand corner and it popped open, me and my sister couldn't open the door and I got more and more upset. Eventually she had to run next door where my parents were having a coffee or something and confess that I was locked in the tallboy (or small wardrobe!) Mum was not happy, mind you neither was I, having a panic attack by the time I got out
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 9th Feb 18, 3:29 AM
    • 3,533 Posts
    • 7,272 Thanks
    Murphybear
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:29 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:29 AM
    We haven’t got an Ikea anywhere near to play games in.

But we’re getting one in Exeter in early summer
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 9th Feb 18, 7:04 AM
    • 34,292 Posts
    • 127,189 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:04 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:04 AM
    It was quite amusing before they let people use shortcuts through the departments.

Originally, you had to follow the yellow brick road, tortuously winding your way round all the departments until you got to the one you really wanted.
    Some people used to try to buck the system by finding the unmarked staff doors that let you cut through the different 'worlds'! They didn't like you doing that, so you had to be wily.

Then I think it must have been happening so often, or maybe people kept complaining, that some years ago, they introduced official shortcut routes.
    Thank goodness!

I mean, sometimes you did want to browse through everything, but at other times, you just wanted one specific thing, and you just wanted to get there, get it and get out!

In the 90s, I spent a lot of time and money in Ikea!
    Th first time I went, I didn't get it, and it annoyed me. However, I went again, and started to understand it better, and by the third time I was hooked!

Eventually there came a time when I was all IKEA-ed,out, though! Probably in the early Noughties. I think I've only been twice in the last 10 or 12 years and then they didn't have what I wanted (very cheap long-handled shoe horns and cheap towelling bath slippers to replace ones I'd had for years but had worn out).

I still have quite a bit of their iconic pieces of furniture, some of which they don't do anymore, and loads of lights and picture frames!
    And cutlery. And stuff!
    I dread to think what I'd spent there over the years!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 9th Feb 18, 9:46 AM
    • 2,294 Posts
    • 4,270 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:46 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:46 AM
    Whoever thought of that yellow brick road system, i hope he got paid a big bonus. It was a great way to get customers to view everything in the store and make impulse buys.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 9th Feb 18, 10:17 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 18,107 Thanks
    indesisiv
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:17 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:17 AM
    At 11 you'd have thought that the kid would know better!

Funnily enough I have actually only been into IKEA once, probably in the late 90's, and I don't think I actually bought anything. It turns out that the nearest one to me now is about 55 miles away!
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 9th Feb 18, 10:41 AM
    • 7,962 Posts
    • 12,426 Thanks
    Sleazy
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:41 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:41 AM
    I confess that I have never, ever, been in an IKEA store.
    From what I'm reading, I don't want to either ....
    Time is free, but it's priceless. You can't own it, but you can use it. You can't keep it, but you can spend it. Once you've lost it you can never get it back.

Harvey Mackay
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 9th Feb 18, 11:13 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 18,107 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I confess that I have never, ever, been in an IKEA store.
    From what I'm reading, I don't want to either ....
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    Not worth the effort .. its full of kids hiding and adults trying to navigate a way out apparently
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 9th Feb 18, 7:41 PM
    • 34,292 Posts
    • 127,189 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Not worth the effort .. its full of kids hiding and adults trying to navigate a way out apparently
    Originally posted by indesisiv

And meatballs.

Don't forget the meatballs.

The Daim cake is nice, too.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 9th Feb 18, 7:48 PM
    • 7,962 Posts
    • 12,426 Thanks
    Sleazy

And meatballs.

Don't forget the meatballs.

The Daim cake is nice, too.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    I'll give the meat a miss, but the Daim looks tempting ...

Time is free, but it's priceless. You can't own it, but you can use it. You can't keep it, but you can spend it. Once you've lost it you can never get it back.

Harvey Mackay
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 9th Feb 18, 7:49 PM
    • 34,292 Posts
    • 127,189 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Wait...cake? Made of Daim?
    Yes!

At least, they used to!

Haven't been there for years.

I don't like chocolate, but I do like butterscotch, so I did like that Daim cake!

Now I want a Dime bar.
    But can't have one as I'm on a fast day.

The almond torte is yummy too....

Last edited by Pyxis; 09-02-2018 at 7:55 PM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• vansboy
    • By vansboy 9th Feb 18, 7:51 PM
    • 6,141 Posts
    • 4,446 Thanks
    vansboy
    Whoever thought of that yellow brick road system, i hope he got paid a big bonus. It was a great way to get customers to view everything in the store and make impulse buys.
    Originally posted by SamsReturn
    It was something that Woolworths (remember them??) trialed in Reading, I think, back in 1970's, when they actually tried to change the way customers navigated the stores.

It didnt work for them.

VB
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 9th Feb 18, 7:53 PM
    • 7,962 Posts
    • 12,426 Thanks
    Sleazy
    If it's a fast day, can't you just eat the Daim cake, uh, fast?
    touchÉ .

I should add that I've just been offered some Dorito's and I have refused ...

Harvey Mackay
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 9th Feb 18, 7:59 PM
    • 34,292 Posts
    • 127,189 Thanks
    Pyxis
    If it's a fast day, can't you just eat the Daim cake, uh, fast?

The other problem is that I can't even have one tomorrow, as I'm doing a sugar-free February thing, and have vowed not to have any cakes or biscuits or sweets.

Sleazy's doing it, too, and he's doing very well.
    (Some people are giving up other things, like crisps).
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 9th Feb 18, 8:02 PM
    • 34,292 Posts
    • 127,189 Thanks
    Pyxis
    It was something that Woolworths (remember them??) trialed in Reading, I think, back in 1970's, when they actually tried to change the way customers navigated the stores.

It didnt work for them.

VB
    Originally posted by vansboy
    It always annoys me in M&S that to get from one down escalator to another, you have to walk round to the other side, fighting your way through people shopping!

One department store used to have escalators that went up, but only stairs to come down!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 10th Feb 18, 4:29 PM
    • 10,061 Posts
    • 36,295 Thanks
    luxor4t
    It always annoys me in M&S that to get from one down escalator to another, you have to walk round to the other side, fighting your way through people shopping!

One department store used to have escalators that went up, but only stairs to come down!
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    That's Swansea M&S - it is stairs only from first to ground floor.
    There is a lift, but it can be unreliable - staff will take you down in the goods lift if needed. I don't think anybody would try hiding upstairs in M&S though!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • Kate/Bob
    • By Kate/Bob 10th Feb 18, 6:45 PM
    • 1,626 Posts
    • 5,288 Thanks
    Kate/Bob
    If someone found me hiding in a wardrobe I think I'd come out shouting "I found Narnia"

If you don't fancy a trip to Ikea, Tesco do a frozen Daim Cake.
    Kate short for Bob.

Alphabet thread High Priestess of all things unsavoury

Tesla was a genius.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 10th Feb 18, 6:48 PM
    • 34,292 Posts
    • 127,189 Thanks
    Pyxis
    If someone found me hiding in a wardrobe I think I'd come out shouting "I found Narnia"

If you don't fancy a trip to Ikea, Tesco do a frozen Daim Cake.
    Originally posted by Kate/Bob
    That's a shame, as I refuse to give my money to Tesco. It's one of my 'things'.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,185Posts Today

8,490Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Facebook today admitted in parliament that after it heard of my defamation lawsuit against it for 50 fake scam ads? https://t.co/XttOnyH9sq

• RT @jamiesusskind: After more than 10 years, and with such sadness, I am leaving Labour. I'm doing it for the same reason that I joined: be?

• RT @Deeangelique_: I suggested @MartinSLewis get 'I Don't Do Ads' tattooed to his forehead yesterday. Today he posted this. I gave Martin L?

• Follow Martin