Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nigecooper
    • By nigecooper 8th Feb 18, 3:06 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    nigecooper
    Premium Bonds
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:06 PM
    Premium Bonds 8th Feb 18 at 3:06 PM
    Martin keeps saying that your chance of winning a prize with Premium Bonds in a year is zero if you only have 1000. I understand his argument about the median win but it is misleading. A more accurate description would be to say that, if you have 1000 of bonds, you should only expect to win once every two years with average luck. Equally, holding 1, you would expect to win once every 2000 years!
    Last edited by nigecooper; 08-02-2018 at 3:07 PM. Reason: error in odds
Page 3
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 25th Feb 18, 11:33 PM
    • 7,975 Posts
    • 8,876 Thanks
    eskbanker
    I think you may have missed the point I was making about semantics, namely that it doesn't really matter what label is given to a product, as this is clearly fairly arbitrary and dependent on the definitions people choose to use - it came across as if you were asserting that only products that fit within your definition of 'savings product' should be recommended to those wishing to save (and that products that you feel are in another category shouldn't), but to be fair you didn't actually spell that out in those terms so perhaps I've misunderstood.
    • concorde1966
    • By concorde1966 28th Apr 18, 10:43 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    concorde1966
    I had 100 in PB!!!8217;s for 10 years and won nothing. I then put 11000 in Oct 2017 and won in Dec 17, Feb 18 and Mar 18 - 25 each time.
    I know someone though who had 100 and won 10,000!!!
    • concorde1966
    • By concorde1966 28th Apr 18, 10:50 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    concorde1966
    I had 100 in PB for 10 years and won nothing. I then put 11000 in Oct 2017 and won in Dec 17, Feb 18 and Mar 18 - 25 each time.
    I know someone though who had 100 and won 10,000!!!
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 28th Apr 18, 11:30 AM
    • 59,767 Posts
    • 53,116 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    I had 100 in PB for 10 years and won nothing. I then put 11000 in Oct 2017 and won in Dec 17, Feb 18 and Mar 18 - 25 each time.
    Originally posted by concorde1966
    Which bonds won?
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • concorde1966
    • By concorde1966 28th Apr 18, 3:33 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    concorde1966
    The 11,000 bond....each time
    • capital0ne
    • By capital0ne 28th Apr 18, 6:48 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    capital0ne
    I've had the same bond win more twice! Only 50 each time and within a couple of years

This month April my partner won 75, I won 0 - we are both maxed out. And before anyone starts I've maxed out both of our ISA's, all the usual high Interest bank accounts maxed out, some P2P and some stocks and shares in non-SA wrapper, its all fashioned to minimise tax and doing very well so much so I'm bordering on higher tax rate on my pensions!
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 28th Apr 18, 8:55 PM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    Does their website check them and notify you if you win?
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 28th Apr 18, 11:02 PM
    • 2,537 Posts
    • 2,509 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    I've had the same bond win more twice! Only 50 each time and within a couple of years

This month April my partner won 75, I won 0 - we are both maxed out. And before anyone starts I've maxed out both of our ISA's, all the usual high Interest bank accounts maxed out, some P2P and some stocks and shares in non-SA wrapper, its all fashioned to minimise tax and doing very well so much so I'm bordering on higher tax rate on my pensions!
    Originally posted by capital0ne
    Oh, do you have lots of money? You should have mentioned so in previous posts!
    • concorde1966
    • By concorde1966 13th Sep 18, 10:46 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    concorde1966
    I have now had 11,600 in Premium bonds for 12 months and won 175 in total.
    Biggest win in one month was 25 x 3 all the rest were 25
    • talexuser
    • By talexuser 14th Sep 18, 3:46 PM
    • 2,464 Posts
    • 1,952 Thanks
    talexuser
    My experience
    5k in 1999, over 198 months prizes were 1125, an AER of 1.36% - this is probably rubbish if you take inflation into account over 16 years?
    Then added a little
    over 4 months prizes = 0.75% of capital
    Then added a little
    over 6 months prizes = 0.75% of capital
    Then added a little
    over 9 months prizes = 0.64% of capital
    Then added a little
    over 6 months prizes = 1.0% of capital
    Then a large increase to max out temporarily while inheritance planning
    over 1 month prizes = 0.35% of capital
    partners maxed out temporarily over 1 month prizes = 0.25% of capital

If you have all other bases covered, and wish to gamble a small fraction of the portfolio it's fair enough, but obviously no good for guaranteed returns.
    • talexuser
    • By talexuser 14th Sep 18, 3:49 PM
    • 2,464 Posts
    • 1,952 Thanks
    talexuser
    Also partner has had one bond since 1957 and won nothing
    • Whitterbod
    • By Whitterbod 14th Sep 18, 6:12 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Whitterbod
    Just a thousand pounds in preimium bonds, have had two twenty five wins ,,its there instead of the lottery, my luck might get better ,
    Thats a good idea thanks muchly..
    • bluefukurou
    • By bluefukurou 15th Sep 18, 8:40 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    bluefukurou
    With Premium Bonds it's a case of horses for courses. I live overseas and cannot access ISAs, the best high street savings accounts, etc, so after maxing out the guaranteed income and growth bonds that NS&I offers, I decided to stick some money in PBs (30k), being someone who likes a flutter.

Although I could have put the money into the Income Bonds that NS&I offers (which pays 1.15% from next month) and received a guaranteed 345 over the year, I opted for PBs knowing full well I may get nowt, but also aware that if I'm a bit lucky I may get back somewhere in the region of 700. There's also the chance, however small, that I could get one of the bigger prizes, somebody has to win them right?

Therefore, as long as people understand that the 1.4% rate advertised on PBs is not a real interest rate, I think PBs are perfectly fine for someone wanting a safe way to save money with a bit of fun involved.
    • Shedman
    • By Shedman 15th Sep 18, 8:51 AM
    • 209 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    Shedman
    Also partner has had one bond since 1957 and won nothing
    Originally posted by talexuser
    Ditto for me. Still.. this time next year Rodney..
    • Alex9
    • By Alex9 15th Sep 18, 10:03 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Alex9
    I've had 2k in sinceMay 2017 and haven't won a penny
    • MisterMotivated
    • By MisterMotivated 15th Sep 18, 4:25 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    MisterMotivated
    I've never done the lottery but have always been interested in what motivates people I know who do. Its nearly always a desire to get rich without having to work for it or make wise decisions with finances.
    Originally posted by dont_use_vistaprint

I have substantial savings, but still play the lottery occasionally, normally when I've had a bad day at work. It's normally due to the desire to get rich without having to work for it, although I'm sure if you offered anyone that option, they'd take it. I'm still working on getting rich, but building a net worth of ~15million by age 40 would be a stretch for me at the moment, so for the occasional 2 the lottery offers an (extremely small) outside chance of that. I think for the majority of people who play the lottery, it's not solely down to a desire to get rich without working for it (read: greed and laziness), but also a realisation that, no matter how hard they work, the lottery is actually the only "realistic" way they'll ever be rich enough to escape the day job of, for example, scanning baked beans in Tesco while worrying about losing their job to someone who only knows two phrases in English; "Beep" and "unexpected item in bagging area". Everyone can have lofty aspirations, but sadly the vast majority will go unfulfilled.

I have Premium Bonds as well. I've filled generally of all the decent interest paying instant access accounts, and can't tie the money up due to a planned large purchase as soon as the opportunity arises, so have parked 10k in PBs for another outside chance of a win. The way I see it, it's costing me about 10 a month in lost interest (offset by 75 winnings since December 2017), which I can live with, and will be the first asset to be called into action in an emergency.
    Last edited by MisterMotivated; 15-09-2018 at 4:54 PM. Reason: minor tweaks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,843Posts Today

8,718Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin