Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JaneDoeJohnDoe
    • By JaneDoeJohnDoe 8th Feb 18, 1:44 PM
    • 216Posts
    • 73Thanks
    JaneDoeJohnDoe
    Funeral Expenses Payment
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:44 PM
    Funeral Expenses Payment 8th Feb 18 at 1:44 PM
    Need a bit of advice here. Currently get ESA(income) & sole parent just passed away. Rung DWP who went through a "checklist" & asked about other other siblings who could pay funeral bill. I mentioned half-sister. However, DWP wanted to know all about half-sister even though half-sister has not had any contact with parent for over 25 years & lived in Holland over 40 years. I had form SF200 open on my pc at the time & it only wants to know full details about remaining siblings whose relationship had NOT broken down
    Question 5 just asks for details of names of broken down relationship children & reasons why. Not details of address etc
    The SF200 help notes pt5 (online) clearly states you can not get a payment UNLESS relationship broken down & usually living outside UK.
    In the end I asked for a claim form to be sent to me, as it doesn't ask all details.
    So can someone in the know please advise what the correct situation is.
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 8th Feb 18, 2:36 PM
    • 25,182 Posts
    • 14,832 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:36 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:36 PM
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5180077

Discussed in above.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 8th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    • 11,413 Posts
    • 13,296 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    Need a bit of advice here. Currently get ESA(income) & sole parent just passed away. Rung DWP who went through a "checklist" & asked about other other siblings who could pay funeral bill. I mentioned half-sister. However, DWP wanted to know all about half-sister even though half-sister has not had any contact with parent for over 25 years & lived in Holland over 40 years. I had form SF200 open on my pc at the time & it only wants to know full details about remaining siblings whose relationship had NOT broken down
    Question 5 just asks for details of names of broken down relationship children & reasons why. Not details of address etc
    The SF200 help notes pt5 (online) clearly states you can not get a payment UNLESS relationship broken down & usually living outside UK.
    In the end I asked for a claim form to be sent to me, as it doesn't ask all details.
    So can someone in the know please advise what the correct situation is.
    Originally posted by JaneDoeJohnDoe
    Did your parent leave an 'estate' - i.e any money/property etc etc.

I am presuming 'no'.

I think you have done the correct thing in just asking for the form and completing it. The notes back up what you have said about the criteria.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/586403/sfF200-notes.pdf

Are you aware that a funeral payment does not cover anywhere near the amount of a funeral (hence why I asked the first question) ?
    Last edited by pmlindyloo; 08-02-2018 at 2:52 PM.
    • JaneDoeJohnDoe
    • By JaneDoeJohnDoe 9th Feb 18, 12:28 AM
    • 216 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    JaneDoeJohnDoe
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:28 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:28 AM
    Yes I know, but it'll be a little bit to go towards it & I will borrow the rest. It was either that or ignore wishes & let state do their thing. Long story. Thanks for reply though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,368Posts Today

8,256Users online

Martin's Twitter