Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ANV
    • By ANV 8th Feb 18, 1:28 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ANV
    JSA- include debt in savings declaration?
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:28 PM
    JSA- include debt in savings declaration? 8th Feb 18 at 1:28 PM
    Hi,
    Can anyone tell me whether the £16,000 savings limit for a JSA application includes household debt?
    Many thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 8th Feb 18, 1:44 PM
    • 1,502 Posts
    • 3,165 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:44 PM
    No, it does not.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 8th Feb 18, 1:44 PM
    • 5,469 Posts
    • 11,347 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Not usually.

If you have savings and debt, use the savings to clear the debt before you apply.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 8th Feb 18, 1:54 PM
    • 11,407 Posts
    • 13,293 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:54 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:54 PM
    Not usually.

If you have savings and debt, use the savings to clear the debt before you apply.
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    Not a good idea. This may be counted as deprivation of capital.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 8th Feb 18, 2:01 PM
    • 5,469 Posts
    • 11,347 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:01 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:01 PM
    Not a good idea. This may be counted as deprivation of capital.
    Originally posted by pmlindyloo
    Definitely likely if they’re already in a situation of claiming the benefit, though perhaps not if it’s simply a ‘threat of redundancy’

Either way either way they could end up with little money either through depri rules or capital rules. I’d prefer to not have to worry about debt payments in that situation but that could just be me.

Also it depends on what the ratio is we’re talking about. Are we talking 10k debt and 5k savings or 20k debt and 15k savings? I never think straight on these things as I can’t get my head round having both!
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 8th Feb 18, 2:26 PM
    • 11,407 Posts
    • 13,293 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:26 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:26 PM
    Definitely likely if they’re already in a situation of claiming the benefit, though perhaps not if it’s simply a ‘threat of redundancy’

Either way either way they could end up with little money either through depri rules or capital rules. I’d prefer to not have to worry about debt payments in that situation but that could just be me.

Also it depends on what the ratio is we’re talking about. Are we talking 10k debt and 5k savings or 20k debt and 15k savings? I never think straight on these things as I can’t get my head round having both!
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    And of course it depends whether the claimant is entitled to contribution based JSA which is not subject to savings/capital rules!
    • ANV
    • By ANV 8th Feb 18, 3:22 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ANV
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:22 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:22 PM
    Many thanks all. I’m considering appling for JSA tho it looks like a no-no from your responses. The debt is 10k and the savings are 18k, but it’s tricky as the savings are my partner’s and she is about to apply for indefinite leave to remain so wants to keep her bank balance looking as good as possible. I’ll look into contribution based JSA. Thanks again.
    • venison
    • By venison 8th Feb 18, 8:36 PM
    • 1,931 Posts
    • 2,060 Thanks
    venison
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:36 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:36 PM
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/jobseekers-allowance
    I am a BG on loans,credit cards and benefits I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly". Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 8th Feb 18, 8:56 PM
    • 17,139 Posts
    • 30,123 Thanks
    Ames
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:56 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:56 PM
    If you're in a universal credit area then you'd have to apply for that rather than JSA and AIUI, UC does take debt into account.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

1,527Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: Third time lucky? After being delayed twice, tomorrow MPs are due to debate our #RecoverySpace proposals in parliament. @helen_u?

• Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Follow Martin