Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sugarplump
    • By Sugarplump 8th Feb 18, 1:16 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 23Thanks
    Sugarplump
    Plans for a Sea View
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:16 PM
    Plans for a Sea View 8th Feb 18 at 1:16 PM
    Hi All,

I've been reading peoples diaries for a while now and thought it was time to start my own, mainly just for my own ramblings.
    I'm in my mid 30's (feeling 21 still even if I don't look it LOL), mum to DD who is 9 and DD who is 3, and been with DH for many many years and married for nearly 6yrs.

Our mortgage is currently at 57363 on a fixed rate of 3.9% but due to expire in Aug so desperately wishing the time away so I can get a better rate.

DH has a car loan which is due to finish next month and he also has around 1500 debt on a 0% credit card, he sorts this himself so not overly concerned. We both have our own bank accounts but pay a set amount into our joint account each month which covers the bills and mortgage, then any left is our own to do with as we wish.

I currently have a loan of around 7k which we used to buy a static caravan by the coast, I'm paying this at the minute but DH has said he will help when his car is paid off, but I aim to chuck any money he gives me at the mortgage as it is my dream to get us mortgage free in less than 10yrs. We'd then be in a good position to help both children either with Uni or houses.

My dream for paying off the mortgage is to be able to get a better caravan with a Sea View. Its the little things in life.

Well that's enough of my rambling for now, feel free to pop by for more ramblings of which I guess there'll be plenty.
Page 1
    • LadyGnome
    • By LadyGnome 8th Feb 18, 1:46 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    LadyGnome
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:46 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:46 PM
    Welcome and best of luck.
    Mortgage
    Start Nov 2012 310,000
    Feb 2018 237,821.60 Reduction 72,178.40
    MFW 2018 #42 788.90/3100
    End Oct Sept 2034 but I have a cunning plan...
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    • 53,939 Posts
    • 213,723 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    Happy shiny new diary
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • therocket
    • By therocket 8th Feb 18, 5:09 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    therocket
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:09 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:09 PM
    Welcome! Subscribed All the best with your goals!
    MFW - diary incoming!
    • Happier Me
    • By Happier Me 8th Feb 18, 5:21 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    Happier Me
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:21 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:21 PM
    I can see the appeal of a caravan with a Seaview. I've never owned a caravan but love having a nosy round the new ones when we go on holiday. We had a glorious week in Devon in a Seaview caravan with a south facing deck a couple of yeara ago and now only a sea view will do! It really was food for the soul

Good luck on your journey.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 8th Feb 18, 5:42 PM
    • 3,015 Posts
    • 14,913 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:42 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:42 PM
    I love your goal. Good luck
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Sugarplump
    • By Sugarplump 9th Feb 18, 10:29 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Sugarplump
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:29 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:29 AM
    Thanks for all your lovely replies, its nice to have company on this meandering journey. Most people I know think we are slightly mad and should just be spending any extra money we have and not worrying about the mortgage . I've never been one of these life for the moment people, I blame my mum as she's a very big saver.

I can see the appeal of a caravan with a Seaview. I've never owned a caravan but love having a nosy round the new ones when we go on holiday. We had a glorious week in Devon in a Seaview caravan with a south facing deck a couple of yeara ago and now only a sea view will do! It really was food for the soul

Good luck on your journey.
    Originally posted by Happier Me
    I totally agree Happier Me, I love the idea of just sitting and watching the sea, maybe with a book and a glass of wine. Need something to keep me entertained as hubby plans to spend his free time golfing.

Anyway best get back to work, wont be paying much of this mortgage if I get sacked.
    • tootallulah
    • By tootallulah 9th Feb 18, 2:17 PM
    • 2,119 Posts
    • 7,393 Thanks
    tootallulah
    • 9th Feb 18, 2:17 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 2:17 PM
    Sounds like a great plan, good luck.
    Mortgage House 45,000, 26 January 2018, 28th April 16,500.
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 10th Feb 18, 9:07 AM
    • 880 Posts
    • 2,765 Thanks
    Crumpets
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:07 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:07 AM
    Good luck sugar plump! A sea view is absolutely one of the best goals. Good luck with your journey. You've got me hankering after a trip to the coast now
    Mortgage March 2011 143,927.6
    Mortgage May 2018 88,571.55
    1759.35/2000
    • Sugarplump
    • By Sugarplump 10th Feb 18, 9:17 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Sugarplump
    Morning all. Trip to IKEA with the kiddies planned for today, boy I do know how to spoil my kids.

In theory it should be money saving in the long run as planning to buy storage so I don't need to buy DD2 a proper bed.

Hope you all have a lovely day.
    • Sugarplump
    • By Sugarplump 19th Feb 18, 4:50 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Sugarplump
    Right need to get my !!! in gear. Started this diary and then did nothing with it, which is obviously not really the point of it all.
    Will try and make time for an action plan tonight and then I'll be cooking on gas.
    First thing is I need to find out how to make overpayments on my mortgage.
    • Sugarplump
    • By Sugarplump 20th Feb 18, 2:03 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Sugarplump
    NSD today, made lunch to bring to work and have no plans for any spending after work.
    Hoping for a NSD tomorrow and Thursday too. Bank account still looks healthy so will hopefully have money to move into a mortgage overpayment account until I find out how to make the overpayment to them.
    • Sugarplump
    • By Sugarplump 20th Feb 18, 9:29 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Sugarplump
    Wahoo 10 win on the postcode lottery! Keeping everything crossed for a winning streak as got a Euromillions ticket.
    • Sugarplump
    • By Sugarplump 27th Apr 18, 12:32 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Sugarplump
    Not been on here for ages. I really am rubbish at keeping up to date with this diary lark.

Finally managed to get on line access to our mortgage and our current balance is 56809, even more exciting is that our mortgage company value our house at 92000 so should be able to get a really good rate when we come to the end of our fix.

Is it sad that I am wishing the time away until we can lock in a new rate???? Our current fix ends on the 31st July so I am hopeful I can get a new rate sorted and locked in place at the end of this month. Hubby thinks we should borrow more and extend! I am soon going to talk him out of that crazy idea as the aim is to pay off the mortgage quicker not take on more. Sure he'll thank me in the end when he has more free money for golf things.

Right back to wishing the days would go faster and this rain would !!!!!! off.
    • Sugarplump
    • By Sugarplump 2nd May 18, 12:30 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Sugarplump
    Finally made it to the beginning of May, seems like it has taken forever to get here.

So I excitedly log onto the Bank Of Ireland website to check out the new rate I can switch to and the website isn't working and I can't view any rates.

Ring them up expecting it to be something really simple only to be told they aren't sure why I can't view the rates but they can read them out over the phone. I explained that i wanted to go through it with my husband so would be easier to see online so was given a new website to try and all the rates are in Euros.

Why is everything so hard?????

On a brighter note at least its stopped raining, well for now anyway.
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 6th May 18, 7:25 AM
    • 16,589 Posts
    • 109,544 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Why is everything so hard?????
    Originally posted by Sugarplump
    It's almost as if they don't want you to get a better rate , Don't give in, show them who's boss .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Sugarplump
    • By Sugarplump 11th May 18, 11:49 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Sugarplump
    Wahoo, finally managed to be able to see my rates online. Have agreed with the hubby, well I say agreed he didn't really bring much to the discussion, just told me to do what I thought was best, have gone for another fix but this time for 5yrs. I wasn't sure at first over the 2yr or 5yr but in payments were hardly any different and I like the idea of knowing the set payments.

The rate we are going to will see our payments drop by 60 per month but I am going to be moving this into a OP savings account and then paying it over to the mortgage company any time this account reaches 500+. As I think that is how best to deal with Bank of Ireland overpayments but if anyone else has a mortgage them and goes about overpayments in a different way could they let me know.

That's all for now. Off to read the mortgage offer and see if I can make any more sense of overpayments.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

405Posts Today

4,201Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin