Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LHam
    • By LHam 8th Feb 18, 1:13 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    LHam
    Help! Want advice before 2nd viewing :)
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:13 PM
    Help! Want advice before 2nd viewing :) 8th Feb 18 at 1:13 PM
    Hello.
    I am looking for some advice and opinions on a house I am interested in making an offer on as I am not sure if a few issues I noted are concerning.
    I'm not exactly sure of the period of the property but I guess it's a 1930-1950's 3 bedroom semi-detached. I really like the property and have arranged a second viewing this afternoon.

1. The wall between the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms has been moved (to increase the size of the 3rd bedroom) - will this have had effect on structure?

2. Kitchen has been extended (maybe 20 years ago) EA mentioned this is 'single skin' and was noticibly colder in that that part of the kitchen. EA also said that there was no planning permission for this, however this has not been an issue on previous searches etc. Do you think this is a problem? What are the likely issues with this?

3. The loft hatch is in the bathroom and seemed quite small. I have seen a few similar houses but have never seen loft hatch in bathroom before - again is this an issue/ what would the likely problems be? I'm wondering if access to loft would be difficult? Would it be easy to move the loft hatch in the future?

Thank you so much for reading any advice would be great!
Page 1
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 8th Feb 18, 1:30 PM
    • 6,117 Posts
    • 5,904 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:30 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:30 PM
    1. The wall between the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms has been moved (to increase the size of the 3rd bedroom) - will this have had effect on structure?
    Originally posted by LHam
    It depends on whether the wall was load bearing. If it was load bearing, a joist should have been put in to take the load. If it wasn't load bearing, it's probably not a big deal.

2. Kitchen has been extended (maybe 20 years ago) EA mentioned this is 'single skin' and was noticibly colder in that that part of the kitchen. EA also said that there was no planning permission for this, however this has not been an issue on previous searches etc. Do you think this is a problem? What are the likely issues with this?
    No planning enforcement action can be taken on anything done 20 years ago. Your main concern is if it's not structurally sound.

If heat insulation is an issue, there are ways to insulate it which may help - externally or internally.

Also, some mortgage lenders can be a bit fussy if part of a property is single skinned.

3. The loft hatch is in the bathroom and seemed quite small. I have seen a few similar houses but have never seen loft hatch in bathroom before - again is this an issue/ what would the likely problems be? I'm wondering if access to loft would be difficult? Would it be easy to move the loft hatch in the future?
    Enlarging or creating a new loft hatch is not a big job.

Although was the bathroom in an extension? If so, there may be two separate roof spaces, so you might want two hatches.
    Last edited by eddddy; 08-02-2018 at 2:37 PM.
    • LHam
    • By LHam 8th Feb 18, 3:05 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LHam
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:05 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:05 PM
    Thanks eddddy!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 8th Feb 18, 4:21 PM
    • 5,136 Posts
    • 23,526 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:21 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:21 PM
    We took along steps and checked out the loft access (with the vendor's permission) when we were looking at one property. That was in a cupboard off the bathroom would you believe! It was very close to the external wall and access through it was very limited. I think walls had been moved. We'd have moved the loft hatch if we'd have bought the property as the surveyor said the access was so tight he couldn't get up for a proper look.

ETA we did ask via the estate agent in advance if it was OK as the vendor had to clear out the cupboard.
    • LHam
    • By LHam 8th Feb 18, 5:32 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LHam
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:32 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:32 PM
    Thanks eddddy!
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 8th Feb 18, 5:46 PM
    • 5,285 Posts
    • 7,417 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:46 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:46 PM
    if the kitchen has been extension is a single brick wall build, and has a flat roof, see if you can go upstairs and take a picture of the roof, see if the roof needs repairs. Also check the main roof whilst outside, see if you can see any sagging yourself due to bedroom wall being moved.

if you can't see any signs of repair being needed then its worth sending a surveyor in. If you can see suspect things, its only worth pursuing the property/paying for a surveyor, initial solicitor fees if you think the vendor will accept a need to negotiate on the price (but also bear in mind how low or high the given price is with regard to comparables in the street). The price may already have been adjusted.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 8th Feb 18, 5:47 PM
    • 4,099 Posts
    • 5,735 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:47 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:47 PM
    Is the bathroom in the front of the property? I am only asking because all of the houses that I have been in of the typical 1930s design have had the smallest bedroom next to the main one basically over the entrance hall downstairs apart from the ones that have the bathroom in the front in that position.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,519Posts Today

5,725Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin