Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 8th Feb 18, 1:12 PM
    • 13,933Posts
    • 26,656Thanks
    onlyroz
    0 WOW
    Paying for holiday rental via bank transfer
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:12 PM
    0 WOW
    Paying for holiday rental via bank transfer 8th Feb 18 at 1:12 PM
    I want to book a week in Bournemouth for Easter. I found this property on the holidaylettings site:

https://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/bournemouth/94503

It has good reviews on Tripadvisor over the space of the last few years. The owner doesn't accept payments directly via the website and is asking for a bank transfer. As a private individual I expect that they don't have the facility to accept card payments.

So would you go ahead and pay with a bank transfer as requested? Or is there some alternate more secure way that I could pay instead?

You do read about people paying out large sums for what turns out to be a fictitious holiday rental, but this one does seem legit as far as I can tell...
Page 1
    • essex boy
    • By essex boy 8th Feb 18, 1:52 PM
    • 1,607 Posts
    • 1,592 Thanks
    essex boy
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:52 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:52 PM
    They dont want you paying via the website as they want to use their service but dont want to pay their commission
    Question is are they the real people or scammers and also if they are real is this the sort of people you want to do business with, any problems they will go out of their way to give you money too
    • happyinflorida
    • By happyinflorida 9th Feb 18, 6:05 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 581 Thanks
    happyinflorida
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:05 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:05 PM
    Wouldn't trust it in a month of Sunday's - this sort of thing is often featured on BBC 1's show - "Holiday Rip Off's" and basically it means you risk losing your money and holiday.

I wouldn't do it.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 10th Feb 18, 11:52 PM
    • 5,293 Posts
    • 7,426 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:52 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:52 PM
    Whether its a scam or not, if anything goes wrong, you won't be able to get your money back through the website. Normally they offer some guarantees.

An owner who does not allow payments through the website is at best, unprofessional. At worst a scam. I wouldn't want to be involved in either.
    • Cash-Cows
    • By Cash-Cows 11th Feb 18, 9:01 AM
    • 197 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    Cash-Cows
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:01 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:01 AM
    I!!!8217;ve booked direct before without on line protection and all was fine. If they!!!8217;ve been with the site a while and plenty of reviews then it!!!8217;s fairly reassuring. I wouldn!!!8217;t book this way for a property recently listed but that!!!8217;s not the case here. Any scammers quickly get exposed and details removed so those with history tend to be OK.

You could ask for a draft contract and owners details. If legit they won!!!8217;t have a problem giving you these.
    • vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 11th Feb 18, 9:40 AM
    • 10,385 Posts
    • 13,084 Thanks
    vikingaero
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:40 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:40 AM
    There's even a link on that booking page:

Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer. Learn more about paying safely.

https://blog.holidaylettings.co.uk/travellers-can-ensure-booking-safely-holiday-lettings/

It can still be OK. Does the bank details of the owner match the listing on TripAdvisor. She is called S***y T. Does the bank sort code have a Bournemouth/South Coast branch?
    The man without a signature.
    • Jaymie kate
    • By Jaymie kate 11th Feb 18, 10:35 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    Jaymie kate
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:35 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:35 PM
    I'd say better be cautious about it. Make sure to counter check it's legit. I agree with the other comments that there's little you can do to refund once you made the payment. Cliche as it may sound but better be safe than sorry.
    • isplumm
    • By isplumm 14th Feb 18, 10:33 PM
    • 1,837 Posts
    • 773 Thanks
    isplumm
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:33 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:33 PM
    Its quite fishy that they don't accept any other payment options other than bank transfer in a techy world. What about a draft or something similar?
    Originally posted by Caroline Parker
    Hi

Completely disagree - I have a gite in France that I rent out - normally people pay via direct bank transfer - the point is that the OP needs to do their own research to satisfy themselves that this is a valid rental.

Do they have a website? Do they have reviews on TA? Maybe search for some of the photos online. Can you phone them?

Thanks Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • isplumm
    • By isplumm 14th Feb 18, 10:35 PM
    • 1,837 Posts
    • 773 Thanks
    isplumm
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:35 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:35 PM
    They dont want you paying via the website as they want to use their service but dont want to pay their commission
    Question is are they the real people or scammers and also if they are real is this the sort of people you want to do business with, any problems they will go out of their way to give you money too
    Originally posted by essex boy
    Absolutely - using holidaylettings will cost OP quite a bit more, as well as the owner - BUT the OP will lose the protection if go direct.

For example my gite costs £825 direct, but HL will charge about £905.

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 15th Feb 18, 6:03 PM
    • 4,685 Posts
    • 1,737 Thanks
    knightstyle
    What about PayPal? The owner raises an invoice and the client pays this. So the client is protected.
    Yes some fees but worth it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

1,527Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: Third time lucky? After being delayed twice, tomorrow MPs are due to debate our #RecoverySpace proposals in parliament. @helen_u?

• Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Follow Martin