Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Branagorn
    • By Branagorn 8th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Branagorn
    Insurnace Loss
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    Insurnace Loss 8th Feb 18 at 12:49 PM
    Back in September I was hit by a reversing car, which knocked me from my motorcycle, which was subsequently written off (bent frame). I informed my insurer, who then gave my case to their underwriter/nonfault handler to deal with me further.

The incident has been treated as non-fault (I was fortunate enough to obtain video evidence to prove this). And eventually, I have received full payment for the value of the motorcycle.

However, with the receipt of this payment, and my motorcycle eventually scrapped. I rightly cancelled the insurance policy on the vehicle.

I was told by my insurer that due to the time held on the policy (8 months) and their cancellation fee, I would receive no refund on the remaining time on the policy. I was annoyed by this, as I'm not at fault in this incident, and the equivalent value of the cover that was remaining after the incident is no small sum, 140.

I was told by my insurer that I would have to seek reimbursement of this sum from the third party, again via their underwriter/nonfault handler.

So I gave all my evidence to the handler to forward to the third party, i.e. my insurers cancellation terms, proof of annual premium (which I paid in full upfront), dates of the policy start date, and math to show what proportion of this this premium was left to run on the policy.

The handler has emailed me today with the third parties response to this.

Dear Mr X,

I have received an email from the Third Party Insurers this morning confirming they have no offers to make in respect of your request for reimbursement of your cancelled policy.

We received a rather abrupt response;

Unfortunately we have no offers for this and to be honest I am surprised you expect us to entertain such a claim.

Now you can understand why I stated I did not want to give false hope by leading you to believe that it was definitely recoverable.

Kind Regards,"
    As you can read there, the third party are surprised that I want to claim this reimbursement. Quite why they expect me not to assume entitlement to this, I don't know.
    But I also have my claim handler not wanting to give me 'false hope' of recovering this, so I do not feel they are pulling out all the stops for me either.
    It was my belief that as a 100% non-fault claim, taking it entirely from the third party, I should be able to obtain ALL my losses, this included.
    Has anyone experience with this? Should I just give up?
Page 1
    • OnanTheBarbarian
    • By OnanTheBarbarian 8th Feb 18, 1:31 PM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 841 Thanks
    OnanTheBarbarian
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:31 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:31 PM
    It is not a recoverable loss as it is a separate contractual obligation you have to pay your insurance. I can see your point in that you have derived no benefit from the remaining term of the policy, but these issues would be deemed "too remote" in law.

Put ti this way, if you took out a bank loan to buy the bike originally, would you expect them to clear off the bank loan amount?

Chalk it up and move on is my advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,680Posts Today

7,869Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin