Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 8th Feb 18, 12:22 PM
    • 273Posts
    • 151Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    0 WOW
    MSE News:Waitrose unveils its new loyalty scheme
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:22 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News:Waitrose unveils its new loyalty scheme 8th Feb 18 at 12:22 PM
    Waitrose will replace its 'pick your own' offer with a new scheme to send customers vouchers and offers through the post...
    Read the full story:
    'Waitrose unveils its new loyalty scheme'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    MSE
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • redfox
    • By redfox 8th Feb 18, 1:58 PM
    • 13,383 Posts
    • 36,675 Thanks
    redfox
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:58 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:58 PM
    Not a good start. If the vouchers are supposed to be tailored to you based on previous shops then they have a big problem with their system somewhere.

I got two product vouchers in the mail today - one for £2.50 off beef and one for £1 off soup. Neither of which items I have ever bought at Waitrose as I make my own soup and buy beef from our local butcher!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 8th Feb 18, 1:59 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 656 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:59 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:59 PM
    It was good while it lasted. Although for the past year, the offers from pick your own have been a bit hit or miss. Largely miss.
    I'm not a regular shopper at Waitrose so I doubt the new system will be of much use.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 8th Feb 18, 2:08 PM
    • 6,621 Posts
    • 19,490 Thanks
    Doc N
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:08 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:08 PM
    Not a good start. If the vouchers are supposed to be tailored to you based on previous shops then they have a big problem with their system somewhere.

I got two product vouchers in the mail today - one for £2.50 off beef and one for £1 off soup. Neither of which items I have ever bought at Waitrose as I make my own soup and buy beef from our local butcher!
    Originally posted by redfox
    It'll be tailored as much towards what you don't buy as what you do buy. They know they can sell you stuff you've already bought, but vouchers might encourage you to buy things you don't normally buy there.
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 8th Feb 18, 2:12 PM
    • 860 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:12 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:12 PM

Originally posted by redfox
    They want you to buy things you don't usually buy from Waitrose!?

I did get targeted vouchers for £1 off organic milk and £2 off chilled drink (a beer from the chiller? ) and four x £4 off £40 spend which I've done once in 23 years so far and I'm not going to use. Prefer Tesco £3 off £20 spend when it comes up.
    • 2013yearofthehouse
    • By 2013yearofthehouse 8th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 38,509 Thanks
    2013yearofthehouse
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    I only buy about 4 items (all PYO items) from Waitrose and the new vouchers I got are for 2 of them (well not brand specific, just one for Yogurt and one for bread), so it seems some people are getting vouchers for products they do buy and some aren't.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 8th Feb 18, 2:40 PM
    • 1,720 Posts
    • 8,403 Thanks
    NBLondon
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:40 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:40 PM
    It'll be tailored as much towards what you don't buy as what you do buy. They know they can sell you stuff you've already bought, but vouchers might encourage you to buy things you don't normally buy there.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    They want you to buy things you don't usually buy from Waitrose!?
    Originally posted by Yorkshire Pud
    That's how Sainsbury used to be until a few years back - which meant I threw away 2/3 because I had no need for e.g. baby food. Then it changed to being bonus points on items I had bought in the past or different brands of items I had bought - so they must have changed the algorithm. I still throw away one in three though, because the timing is off...

I have also had the £4 of £40 etc form Waitrose - and I've never used them. Sainsbury keep offering me triple Nectar points on £50 which we rarely reach in one shop. After a few months, they drop it to £40 and I might manage that, so the next voucher is £60
    Womble #7 - Running Total £9.56 $1.99 €3.35 S//0.10 (that's supposed to be 10 Ukrainian kopiyki but the site is refusing to display the symbol) Bds$0.10 A$0.05 C$0.88 S$0.20 zl0.02 (Polish grosze) LB0.22 (Bulgarian stotinka) ISKr 5 DKr 0.50 CHF 0.50
    • redfox
    • By redfox 8th Feb 18, 4:28 PM
    • 13,383 Posts
    • 36,675 Thanks
    redfox
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:28 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:28 PM
    Originally posted by Doc N
    the email I received explaining the change says "After listening to our customers, we believe there is a better way of giving you savings on the products you buy most often."

It specifically says that the vouchers will be on the products you buy most often - but I never buy beef or soup. So I still think their system must be inadequate and I can't see these so called personalised vouchers being of any use to me at all.
    Last edited by redfox; 08-02-2018 at 4:31 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 8th Feb 18, 4:32 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    unrecordings
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:32 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:32 PM
    And there's a problem for Waitrose here. If the vouchers are less relevant, you bother to flash the card less. Waitrose get less customers data, the vouchers become even less relevant and a vicious circle develops ending in less customer data for Waitrose and people eventually forget about the whole scheme

Paper vouchers also increase checkout times
    Last edited by unrecordings; 08-02-2018 at 4:35 PM. Reason: I seem to have lost the capacity for English
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 8th Feb 18, 4:49 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Actually thinking about it, there's some canny reasoning behind the change - maybe - although doing it with vouchers is a regression. A generic voucher for 'toilet paper' allows us to deviate from our previous buying habits without losing the reward. Waitrose get enhanced sale data on toilet roll in general, not just the two or three option that PYO had. Question is, will the enhanced data make up for the inevitable reduction in the pool of data ?
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 8th Feb 18, 5:14 PM
    • 13,033 Posts
    • 41,185 Thanks
    sarah1972
    And there's a problem for Waitrose here. If the vouchers are less relevant, you bother to flash the card less. Waitrose get less customers data, the vouchers become even less relevant and a vicious circle develops ending in less customer data for Waitrose and people eventually forget about the whole scheme

Paper vouchers also increase checkout times
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    I certainly won’t flash my card less as it gives you the magazine for free.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 8th Feb 18, 5:20 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    unrecordings
    I certainly won’t flash my card less as it gives you the magazine for free.
    Originally posted by sarah1972
    but only once a month
    • DesertWind
    • By DesertWind 8th Feb 18, 5:49 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 830 Thanks
    DesertWind
    Where i live isn't posh enough to have a Waitrose so we can't benefit from their schemes.

We do have a Sainsburys with nectar points though.

Why these companies have to keep changing their so called deals/rewards ie: Tesco, i don't know.

Change for change sake?
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 8th Feb 18, 5:57 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    unrecordings
    It's called marketing, it's self perpetuating

Edited to add: I'm housebound at the moment, but when I do get out will I be flashing my card also..?

...Probably

I'm a luddite at heart - I hate change too
    Last edited by unrecordings; 08-02-2018 at 6:16 PM.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 8th Feb 18, 6:36 PM
    • 7,623 Posts
    • 13,786 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    That's how Sainsbury used to be until a few years back - which meant I threw away 2/3 because I had no need for e.g. baby food. Then it changed to being bonus points on items I had bought in the past or different brands of items I had bought - so they must have changed the algorithm. I still throw away one in three though, because the timing is off...

I have also had the £4 of £40 etc form Waitrose - and I've never used them. Sainsbury keep offering me triple Nectar points on £50 which we rarely reach in one shop. After a few months, they drop it to £40 and I might manage that, so the next voucher is £60
    Originally posted by NBLondon
    They don't understand the concept of "top up shop". Have some friends that shop there and they spend £50 on weekly shop and another £10-12. Coupons they get are always £60. They did use about 4 before Christmas - when the wine was on offer and buying a little more each week.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 8th Feb 18, 6:43 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Those save £x on £xx are a killer - the only thing you can do is stock up on booze (or buy a toaster)
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 8th Feb 18, 6:52 PM
    • 3,043 Posts
    • 11,037 Thanks
    Frogletina
    I got 4 vouchers today for £9 off a £60 shop.

There is no way I can carry £60 worth of items home on the bus (I don't drive)

I can use them on £100 shop online, but that's my whole month's budget for groceries.

Before Christmas I was able to use a couple of my £8 off a £40 shop, I was hoping for more of those

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64 SPC 10 #441 £1164.13
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 9th Feb 18, 4:05 AM
    • 13,033 Posts
    • 41,185 Thanks
    sarah1972
    but only once a month
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    I only go to waitrose once a month
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 9th Feb 18, 4:06 AM
    • 13,033 Posts
    • 41,185 Thanks
    sarah1972
    I got 4 vouchers today for £9 off a £60 shop.

There is no way I can carry £60 worth of items home on the bus (I don't drive)

I can use them on £100 shop online, but that's my whole month's budget for groceries.

Before Christmas I was able to use a couple of my £8 off a £40 shop, I was hoping for more of those

frogletina
    Originally posted by Frogletina
    I have never received a single voucher from Waitrose and neither has hubby.
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 9th Feb 18, 4:30 AM
    • 12,386 Posts
    • 11,619 Thanks
    jenniewb
    I got two vouchers which I could possibly use, but wont save me any more than if I'd just gone to Asda or Tesco or even M&S when their 20% off is offered on things I actually buy.
    Aside from this I got 4 £4 off a £40 spend. To this day I don't think I've spent more than £20 in one go at Waitrose and as it's not so near me I don't shop there more than once a week and at times once a month so where they get off thinking they can tempt me to shop more for 10% off, sorry Waitrose but your 20% off PYO offers at least had be making the effort, suggesting I spend more and get less (10% not 20%) isn't going to make me visit at all let alone more frequently.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

18Posts Today

3,796Users online

Martin's Twitter