Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Beans27
    • By Beans27 8th Feb 18, 11:52 AM
    • 89Posts
    • 53Thanks
    Beans27
    Fixed rate or Tracker?
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:52 AM
    Fixed rate or Tracker? 8th Feb 18 at 11:52 AM
    Hi all, any advice from the intelligent people here much appreciated
    I previously created a thread about which mortgage deal to change to, but I'm not sure how to find it. In any case, situation has slightly changed now - spoke to Natwest and they did a desktop valuation which increased the value of the house, so we now have a better LTV figure.

In a nutshell:
    House value - 271k (according to the 'new' valuation, although that is hugely over optimistic in reality).
    Mortgage - 170k
    Current fixed rate deal of 2.28% ends in March.

The best new offers from Natwest are
    2 year fixed rate (plus the product fee 995) @ 2.09% - brings monthly payments down by 12 a month
    2 year tracker rate (plus the product fee 995) @ 2.04% - brings monthly payments down by 16 a month

So not much in it - my question really is whether there would be any point going with a tracker rate? I'd feel a lot more comfortable with the security of fixed, and I wouldn't have thought a tracker would be going down at all, 2.04 sounds low anyway?

I don't really want to start applying to other mortgage providers - situation has changed since we bought the house 4 years previously, my partner now has a poor credit rating and outstanding loans from a failed business.

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 8th Feb 18, 1:11 PM
    • 9,880 Posts
    • 5,315 Thanks
    dimbo61
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:11 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:11 PM
    So why are you looking at only 2 year deals ?
    Will partners Credit rating be better in 2 years ?
    Will interest rates be higher in 2 years ?
    How much extra would a 3/4/5 year deal cost for security ?
    If you plan on moving in 2/3 years then a 2 year deal maybe fine
    • Filo25
    • By Filo25 8th Feb 18, 1:31 PM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 2,127 Thanks
    Filo25
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:31 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:31 PM
    Personally I would be fixing for as long as I could in the current environment.
    • Beans27
    • By Beans27 8th Feb 18, 2:31 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Beans27
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:31 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:31 PM
    There are a couple of 5 year deals, they are higher than the rate they are on now and honestly we can't afford any higher monthly costs, I was hoping to get it down.
    I doubt his credit rating will be any better - he has a large loan that he is paying the minimum on, and I can't see that changing.

Filo, if you would fix for as long as you could in the current environment, presumably that's because you think rates are going to start going up? I don't have enough understanding about the financial market to hazard a guess. I'm hoping that in 2 years we will be in a better position (i.e. partner will have a regular income would be a good start!)
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 8th Feb 18, 3:22 PM
    • 32,037 Posts
    • 19,225 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:22 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:22 PM
    If you can't afford more(either higher rate now or rates going up) then your only option is to fix for 2y now to give time to sort out your finances.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

537Posts Today

5,487Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin