Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tjmcb
    • By tjmcb 8th Feb 18, 11:30 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tjmcb
    Linden Homes advice regarding new builds etc.
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:30 AM
    Linden Homes advice regarding new builds etc. 8th Feb 18 at 11:30 AM
    My wife and I are purchasing a new build off plan with Linden Homes, there seems to be a lot of negative press regarding standards and other Leasehold issues (ours will be freehold thankfully).

Can anyone give us any updated info regarding their experiences with Linden Homes, or any info with regard to dealing with them as a potential buyer?

There's a thread from 2015, but want a current view point. any help is welcome.

Thanks

Tim
Page 1
    • Lornapink
    • By Lornapink 8th Feb 18, 11:36 AM
    • 246 Posts
    • 811 Thanks
    Lornapink
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:36 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:36 AM
    I'm a keen investor and I have found the major developers all much the same. What starts as an ever so friendly cant do enough for you relationship with a site rep, soon deteriorates into a squabble about snags and such like.

Just remain sceptical and expect the worst and you should be ok.

Watch out for them pressuring you into signing-off the property in their presence at handover stage in terms of snags. You need quiet and time to properly check the place over properly before signing to say you accept in terms of snags.
    Restless, somebody pour me a vino.
    • anselld
    • By anselld 8th Feb 18, 4:38 PM
    • 5,764 Posts
    • 5,446 Thanks
    anselld
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:38 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:38 PM
    I'm a keen investor and I have found the major developers all much the same. What starts as an ever so friendly cant do enough for you relationship with a site rep, soon deteriorates into a squabble about snags and such like.
    Originally posted by Lornapink
    I would agree with this. Any service after sale (snagging, faults, warranty) is non-existent. I don't know how the sales staff manage to trot out complete lies with a straight face.

More senior staff when you inevitably have to escalate problems are equally useless.

Maintenance and service for leasehold is very poor (but may not apply to OP).
    • dush_yant
    • By dush_yant 8th Feb 18, 6:05 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    dush_yant
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:05 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:05 PM

Just remain sceptical and expect the worst and you should be ok.

Watch out for them pressuring you into signing-off the property in their presence at handover stage in terms of snags. You need quiet and time to properly check the place over properly before signing to say you accept in terms of snags.
    Originally posted by Lornapink
    If you don't sign-off does this mean there has been no completion yet or is the conveyancing completion outside of this? And also does this mean you can't move-in until sign-off is done?
    • annienewbie
    • By annienewbie 5th Mar 18, 2:45 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    annienewbie
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:45 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:45 PM
    Bought from Linden 5 years ago, and with the benefit of hindsight, would rather still be renting (over-statement granted).

Have about 20 snagging issues, which they were intermittently responsive to. The major issue was the installation of our boiler, where their contractor failed to plug up the carbon monoxide flue, and therefore we have a CO3 leak for 12 months. They said it wasn't their issue, and the issue of the contractor. THEY CHOOSE THE CONTRACTOR!

After 4 months of emails back and forth, I had to seek legal advice, and suggested that maybe they meet me in court. 3 days after that suggestion, the boiler was fixed and they offered some cash compensation.

That said, as others have commented, their "after-care" doesn't really exist.
    • the-sheriff
    • By the-sheriff 26th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    the-sheriff
    • 26th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    • 26th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    We brought one of their new builds a few years ago. The area is lovely but all 15 x houses on the development have had no end of problems unfortunately.

Normal thing for a new build - your promised the earth then find once they have your money its not quite what it seems. We're still having to call them out even now - they show a lot of resistance and fail to amend snagging issues at the first time of asking.

Sadly we have a plethora of unresolved building and legal issues, its left a bitter taste in the mouth. I can appreciate that a home wont be always perfect and there will always be the need to address things after you move in, however many of the snags have just been left half done. We had a bathroom cabinet hanging off the wall for 3 months, patio slabs not installed properly and don't even get me started on the drainage. The later is a real problem with huge ramifacations, we've been lucky in comparison to some of our neighbours.

I wouldn't recommend them, a house is what you make it though and despite all the negativity and hardship with the builder - we're happy where we are. Make no mistake though, they are difficult and not particulary nice to deal with. There doesn't seem to be much of an internal process nor do they have a grasp on what they installed!!

Good luck if you go with them ..... personally I would try and find an alternative. Not a nice company.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 26th Mar 18, 12:50 PM
    • 4,733 Posts
    • 1,758 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 26th Mar 18, 12:50 PM
    • 26th Mar 18, 12:50 PM
    If you buy early in the development the tradespeople will still be on site and prospective purchasers visiting whilst you are there finding the problems.
    This makes it better to get jobs done, if not a notice in the window might bring quick results.
    • CarbonImage
    • By CarbonImage 26th Mar 18, 1:51 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    CarbonImage
    • 26th Mar 18, 1:51 PM
    • 26th Mar 18, 1:51 PM
    Agreed with the above. I ended up pulling out of a new build but a close friend has had issues with Bellway - in the end he put a sign on the front lawn advising people looking round the estate not to buy a house. Problems soon got fixed after that!
    • Celticmuso
    • By Celticmuso 29th Apr 18, 10:08 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Celticmuso
    • 29th Apr 18, 10:08 PM
    Avoid like the plague!
    • 29th Apr 18, 10:08 PM
    You only have to Google 'Linden Homes Negative Press' to find what you need. But if you need more convincing, here's the story of a friend of mine who has been locked in a battle with them for nearly 3 years. All she did was buy a new house. She had to move out 8 months later and hasn't been home since - apart from the 178 'snags' on the house (really!) - the major issue is the whole house has contaminated water supply that is harmful to humans, so of course she can't live there. They've bullied her, defamed her, called her a liar. They have changed the locks to HER home and locked her out. And now they're ignoring her. The poor girl is suicidal - and the sad thing is, they know that. Do not go near this evil company.
    Whilst writing - also be aware the NHBC guarantee they offer is worthless. The NHBC take backhanders from developers (including Linden / and parent company Galliford Try) - as well as many others. The Guardian did an expose on this a while back. Basically it means they don't pursue peoples' claims against the developers. Buy an old property instead.
    Also - check out the most recent case - man bought 700k home and it's built on top of 17 sewers. Google Surrey Homeowners furios with Linden Homes over sewage smell. (Daily Mail). I hope this all helps you make the right decision.
    Last edited by Celticmuso; 30-04-2018 at 9:42 AM.
    • luis1988
    • By luis1988 29th Apr 18, 11:44 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    luis1988
    We bought our Linden Homes new build about 2 years ago now.

To be honest, weíve been pretty impressed with the quality of the house as well as the aftercare they gave us.

Admittedly we had some snags, as do all new builds, but none were major apart from a small leak from the bath that was fixed within 2 days, so canít complain really.

We also found our parking was difficult at times due to the layout. Eventually Linden Homes agreed to move our spaces and even extended our rear patio and provided a shed base as a gesture of good will.

Our neighbours have had a few worse snags than us though so guess some get lucky and others donít.

One thing I will say though is the quality of our home is a lot better than other companies like Taylor Wimpey and Persimmon.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2Posts Today

4,325Users online

Martin's Twitter