Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Katie-Jane
    • By Katie-Jane 8th Feb 18, 9:48 AM
    • 33Posts
    • 11Thanks
    Katie-Jane
    Skipton asked my friend for ID, but not me
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:48 AM
    Skipton asked my friend for ID, but not me 8th Feb 18 at 9:48 AM
    Hi All,

Just curious and wondered if anyone knew the answer. Both my husband and I have Skipton Cash Lifetime ISA's , which we opened with no problems. I encouraged my friend, who is also saving for a house deposit to open a LISA too. She says she has tried to open a Skipton LISA but it is asking for her to send off 3 different forms of ID first, before she can transfer any money in.

Any idea why it might ask one person for ID, but not another??

Thanks, Katie
    Paid off 9k of debt & am now saving towards a house deposit
Page 1
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 8th Feb 18, 10:34 AM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 1,186 Thanks
    Ed-1
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:34 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:34 AM
    Hi All,

Just curious and wondered if anyone knew the answer. Both my husband and I have Skipton Cash Lifetime ISA's , which we opened with no problems. I encouraged my friend, who is also saving for a house deposit to open a LISA too. She says she has tried to open a Skipton LISA but it is asking for her to send off 3 different forms of ID first, before she can transfer any money in.

Thanks, Katie
    Originally posted by Katie-Jane
    Is she on the electoral roll and is this correctly showing on Experian (check MSE Credit Club)?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 8th Feb 18, 10:39 AM
    • 92,999 Posts
    • 60,380 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:39 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:39 AM
    Looks like one failed the electronic check and needed a manual check and the other passed the electronic check.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 8th Feb 18, 4:03 PM
    • 21,872 Posts
    • 10,578 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:03 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:03 PM
    They first try to check you electronially.
    If you have enough* electronic information e.g. electoral roll, then they may pass you electronically.
    If you don't have any or enough* information on your credit report then you'll have to prove your ID manually.

* No idea what is enough for any individual organisations criteria.
    My MIL who's had many credit accounts, gets through electronically. My FIL who has never handled money does not pass electronic checks.
    • margaretx9
    • By margaretx9 8th Feb 18, 6:34 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    margaretx9
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:34 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:34 PM
    I have endless problems getting electronically IDd as I live in a flat. The credit references agencies/postcode checkers used on bank and BS websites never get it right e.g. (not my actual address!)

15 Bloggs House, 10 High Street
    15,10 Bloggs House
    15 Bloggs House, High Street
    10, 15 High Street
    and more

I have banked with HSBC for 25 years - yet First Direct/M&S could not electronically ID me despite using essentially the same systems.

If your friend lives in a flat that might also explain it - as well as the obvious electoral roll, lack of credit file, recently moved in to the place, she rents etc etc.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 8th Feb 18, 7:30 PM
    • 92,999 Posts
    • 60,380 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:30 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:30 PM
    15 Bloggs House, 10 High Street
    15,10 Bloggs House
    15 Bloggs House, High Street
    10, 15 High Street
    and more
    Some of those may not be linked and if the person running the check picks the one with little or no info, you get rejected. If they pick the one with high levels of info then it can pass.

Places with unregistered house names or recently changed ones, flats and houses with a letter suffix (.e.g. 2a) are notorious for failing.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Katie-Jane
    • By Katie-Jane 9th Feb 18, 9:16 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Katie-Jane
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:16 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:16 AM
    Thanks for your replies. I have spoken to my friend and she is not on the electoral roll, she also doesn't pay any of the bills; her partner does, so there's probably not a lot on her credit file, or at least nothing that links her to her current address. I'l let her know :-)
    Paid off 9k of debt & am now saving towards a house deposit
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 9th Feb 18, 10:18 AM
    • 7,975 Posts
    • 14,513 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:18 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:18 AM
    she also doesn't pay any of the bills; her partner does, so there's probably not a lot on her credit file, or at least nothing that links her to her current address. I'l let her know :-)
    Originally posted by Katie-Jane
    Filed under 'nice problem to have'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

216Posts Today

1,922Users online

Martin's Twitter