Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • robgoode
    • By robgoode 8th Feb 18, 9:38 AM
    • 49Posts
    • 32Thanks
    First Time Buyer - Insurance
    • #1
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:38 AM
    First Time Buyer - Insurance 8th Feb 18 at 9:38 AM
    I'm going to be receiving a call in the next few days regarding insurance policies for our new house purchase. Completion is due in May but I'm unsure of what policies we actually need and what are optional.

    Different ones I've read up about include life insurance, building and contents insurance, critical illness cover and others.

    Can anyone give me some advice on what we do need to sign up to and what are the ones we aren't needing to get instantly.
Page 1
    • juniordoc
    • By juniordoc 8th Feb 18, 9:42 AM
    • 364 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    • #2
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:42 AM
    • #2
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:42 AM
    Buildings insurance is needed from exchange.
    Life insurance may be a condition of your mortgage, if it's not then it's up to you, worthwhile if you have dependents.
    Contents insurance is rerecommended from whenever you move your contents in.
    Critical illness cover entirely optional, check what sick pay your employer offers first.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 8th Feb 18, 9:45 AM
    • 16,826 Posts
    • 8,778 Thanks
    • #3
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:45 AM
    • #3
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:45 AM
    The only insurance you must have is Buildings insurance (assuming you have a mortgage).

    Everything else is optional.

    However, that does not mean you should not consider them. I always remember when I worked for another broker. We had a customer who my boss kept trying to get him to take out life insurance and critical illness (probably more for the commission if we are being honest). The bloke put it off for 4 years. After the third time of saying he will review it next year, he came back to us asking to cash in his pension, we asked why.

    He had a heart attack. He had no money put aside and basically had to go to work to pay the bills. He could not cash in his pension as he was not old enough.

    I have no idea what actually happened to him as I left the company not long after, but he was in a difficult position because he had no money and bills to pay.

    Life insurance costs peanuts. I pay £10 a month for my income protection (it only pays £500 a month but I took it out for best doctors rather than actual benefit). Even if you threw £20-30 a month at protection policies, you would probably not notice it massively on a monthly basis but if you ever had to make a claim, it would be a big help.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 8th Feb 18, 9:55 AM
    • 7,642 Posts
    • 7,774 Thanks
    • #4
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:55 AM
    • #4
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:55 AM
    Buildings insurance is needed from exchange.
    Originally posted by juniordoc
    Or from completion if you're buying a newbuild (which the OP appears to be), or if you're buying anything in Scotland.
    • Nicola83
    • By Nicola83 8th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    • #5
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    • #5
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    We're buying a new build and we're in the process of sorting all this out too. We've got buildings and contents insurance set up to start from completion date, which is preliminarily set at 23rd Feb.
    We've also sorted out life assurance, critical illness cover, and income protection, our mortgage advisor has been sorting it all out for us. It's definitely worth doing, as you never know what might happen in the future.
    • robgoode
    • By robgoode 8th Feb 18, 1:56 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    • #6
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:56 PM
    • #6
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:56 PM
    Iím moving into a new build property so I donít need to take out buildings insurance until completion? Iíve been reading everywhere that insurance needs to be ready at exchange.

    Iím taking out both life and critical illness cover for both of us. Rough searches brings up £20-£25 per month combined which looks a good price.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

643Posts Today

5,717Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin