Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cookie666
    • By cookie666 8th Feb 18, 9:25 AM
    • 229Posts
    • 2,258Thanks
    cookie666
    Help to buy ISA confusion
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:25 AM
    Help to buy ISA confusion 8th Feb 18 at 9:25 AM
    I was speaking to a friend who is due to buy a house shortly and asked him whether he had the HTB ISA in place that gives him the 25% bonus for first-time buyers.

He responded that he would not touch it as "you could end up paying back loads in the future, the government also owns a quarter of the property"

This has confused me as I thought the scheme just meant to give new buyers a boost and that it was not a loan.

I've Googled around but can't see anything that states what he's talking about, other than maybe a Help to buy loan?

https://www.money.co.uk/guides/what-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-the-help-to-buy-scheme.htm
Page 1
    • Britnall7700
    • By Britnall7700 8th Feb 18, 9:29 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Britnall7700
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:29 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:29 AM
    Yeah, two different schemes.
    • whatdoyouthink...
    • By whatdoyouthink... 8th Feb 18, 10:23 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    whatdoyouthink...
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:23 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:23 AM
    He's not talking about the HTB ISA. The ISA basically gives you 25% of the closing balance as a bonus...make sure you close the account and forward the closure document to your solicitor before completion of the house purchase!
    • scottishblondie
    • By scottishblondie 8th Feb 18, 10:48 AM
    • 2,004 Posts
    • 1,295 Thanks
    scottishblondie
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:48 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:48 AM
    Your friend has confused the HTB ISA scheme, where you get a boost on your deposit savings of 25%, and the HTB Equity Loan scheme where they will boost your deposit by up to 20%. Even then he's a bit off - the HTB Equity Loan tops up your deposit so you can get a cheaper mortgage (or afford to buy at all) and of course that comes at a cost. You have to repay the loan as a percentage of your property value rather than a fixed amount or at a fixed interest rate, so in a way they do "own" a percentage of your property and if the value goes up a lot you could end up paying back a lot more than the initial amount you borrowed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2Posts Today

4,325Users online

Martin's Twitter