Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • The Bookman
    • By The Bookman 8th Feb 18, 8:45 AM
    • 49Posts
    • 31Thanks
    The Bookman
    Do I need a SkyQ box/subscription?
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:45 AM
    Do I need a SkyQ box/subscription? 8th Feb 18 at 8:45 AM
    My apologies, but I'm losing the will to live trying to find an intelligible answer from someone who isn't trying to sell me something.
    1. I have a 4K/UHD TV.
    2. I have a Sky+HD subscription with everything except Sky Sports.
    3. Before I got the 4K TV, some programs I watch e.g. Blacklist said at the start "Also available in UHD". Now they don't. Is this because I am now watching in 4K/UHD?
    4. If I'm not watching in 4K/UHD - why is that?
    5. I feel it looks a lot better than it used to, but if I'm not watching it in 4K/UHD, then presumably it's just because I have a better TV?

And so to the point of the title; do I have to upgrade my existing package to SkyQ in order to watch any or all 4K/UHD content output by Sky on my 4K/UHD TV?

All replies will be appreciated. I don't need to hear about Amazon & Netflix - I know what they do and offer, I'm only interested in Sky content. Feel free to explain it to me like I'm a 5 year old.
    If in doubt - do something. (With fond memories of Harry Chapin)
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 8th Feb 18, 8:51 AM
    • 32,862 Posts
    • 38,450 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:51 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:51 AM
    You need sky Q for UHD
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Tiexen
    • By Tiexen 8th Feb 18, 9:03 AM
    • 510 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Tiexen
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:03 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:03 AM
    You can only view UHD on a Sky Q box - your existing box is only HD

Most of the UHD content is (apart from sport) not live - its all on demand, so you need to find out if theirs enough UHD of the type you want to watch before deciding to upgrade - Live UHD (mainly sport) will need a good broadband speed but the on demand stuff will download to your box for viewing.

You need the Sky Q 2TB box to view UHD

Hope that helps
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 8th Feb 18, 9:08 AM
    • 2,120 Posts
    • 1,172 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:08 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:08 AM
    You can only view UHD on a Sky Q box - your existing box is only HD

Most of the UHD content is (apart from sport) not live - its all on demand, so you need to find out if theirs enough UHD of the type you want to watch before deciding to upgrade - Live UHD (mainly sport) will need a good broadband speed but the on demand stuff will download to your box for viewing.

You need the Sky Q 2TB box to view UHD

Hope that helps
    Originally posted by Tiexen
    And a multiroom subscription.
    • The Bookman
    • By The Bookman 8th Feb 18, 9:21 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    The Bookman
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:21 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:21 AM
    All,
    Very grateful for the prompt and '"like I'm a 5 year old" replies.

Thank you.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 8th Feb 18, 9:40 AM
    • 4,786 Posts
    • 1,989 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:40 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:40 AM
    Just a comment about the quality of the piccies you are viewing -some of the 4k sets are supposedly good at upscaling the standard HD channels so that might be why you believe they look better. Can't confirm as I'm still on 1080p
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 8th Feb 18, 9:49 AM
    • 1,965 Posts
    • 873 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:49 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:49 AM
    Just to summarise all of the above, to view 4K content on Sky you need:-

a 4K TV
    Sky Q 2TB box & the new LNB on the dish (the 1TB box won't show 4K content)
    a multiroom subscription (extra 12 a month)
    4K content (not a given btw)

Downsides are that recording file sizes go up, so less available space on the hard drive.

The mini box (which is free for the first one) will NOT display 4K content, it's main box only.

4K TV's as mentioned above usually upscale HD content so they can look better than on an HD TV, however generally I believe SD content (and there's still a lot out there) will look terrible as there's just not enough information in the signal to look decent.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 8th Feb 18, 9:55 AM
    • 1,965 Posts
    • 873 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:55 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:55 AM
    I would consider holding off on Q for awhile unless you're out of minimum term and see if you're happy with the better picture from your HD source. If you are out of minimum term and still want to upgrade then try and make sure you get a decent deal off them at least.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 8th Feb 18, 6:52 PM
    • 9,015 Posts
    • 5,368 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:52 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:52 PM
    If you are happy enough with the picture you have, why pay out more ?
    • The Bookman
    • By The Bookman 9th Feb 18, 12:29 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    The Bookman
    Just to summarise all of the above, to view 4K content on Sky you need:-

a 4K TV
    Sky Q 2TB box & the new LNB on the dish (the 1TB box won't show 4K content)
    a multiroom subscription (extra 12 a month)
    4K content (not a given btw)

Downsides are that recording file sizes go up, so less available space on the hard drive.

The mini box (which is free for the first one) will NOT display 4K content, it's main box only.

4K TV's as mentioned above usually upscale HD content so they can look better than on an HD TV, however generally I believe SD content (and there's still a lot out there) will look terrible as there's just not enough information in the signal to look decent.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Thank you for all the above. I think you've probably explained why I believe I'm getting better picture quality - upscaling, etc. I'd still like to know why I no longer see "Also available in UltraHD" at the start of some programs.

SD content may look terrible - I've not heard about that; and it might be an issue for me - BBC local news (BBC South in my area) doesn't broadcast in HD, so after looking at Fiona Bruce on Sky 115, I have to switch to 101 for the lovely Sally Taylor - and you think she may look worse via SkyQ?
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 9th Feb 18, 8:33 AM
    • 4,786 Posts
    • 1,989 Thanks
    brewerdave

SD content may look terrible - I've not heard about that; and it might be an issue for me - BBC local news (BBC South in my area) doesn't broadcast in HD, so after looking at Fiona Bruce on Sky 115, I have to switch to 101 for the lovely Sally Taylor - and you think she may look worse via SkyQ?
    Originally posted by The Bookman
    I find that the SD picture quality on my local BBC channels (Wales) is very poor via Sky HD box on my 51" HD set - the sport content is almost unwatchable
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 9th Feb 18, 9:20 AM
    • 1,965 Posts
    • 873 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Try it yourself by switching between channels 964 & 101 now, we have HD+ & a good Sony 50" HD TV and there's a very noticeable difference while watching Country File. That's probably only going to get worse up-scaled to 4K although this will depend on the content (I did say generally).
    • The Bookman
    • By The Bookman 10th Feb 18, 12:12 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    The Bookman
    Update: I've just been speaking to a Sky (forgive the oxymoron) Expert, and have been advised that if I were to get Sky Q, I would no longer be able to use my Sky+HD boxes in e.g. guest bedroom - I can't have both in the house at the same time. Is this correct?
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 10th Feb 18, 12:28 PM
    • 2,565 Posts
    • 3,553 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Update: I've just been speaking to a Sky (forgive the oxymoron) Expert, and have been advised that if I were to get Sky Q, I would no longer be able to use my Sky+HD boxes in e.g. guest bedroom - I can't have both in the house at the same time. Is this correct?
    Yes - when you get SkyQ they change the dish, which then only links to the SkyQ box. (I'm sure someone else will pop up with the technical details!)

We have our main SkyQ in the lounge, with wireless Q mini boxes in the kitchen and the bedroom. The ipad is also linked.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 10-02-2018 at 1:24 PM.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 11th Feb 18, 9:04 AM
    • 4,786 Posts
    • 1,989 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Not quite true - if they fit a hybrid LNB to the dish, you can still have both Q and "standard" HD feeds -albeit free to air channels only - the BIG advantage of this set up is that if you cancel Q they want their box back -but you can still watch free to air stuff on the HD box
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 11th Feb 18, 10:15 AM
    • 2,565 Posts
    • 3,553 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Not quite true - if they fit a hybrid LNB to the dish, you can still have both Q and "standard" HD feeds -albeit free to air channels only - the BIG advantage of this set up is that if you cancel Q they want their box back -but you can still watch free to air stuff on the HD box
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    Ok, but if the bedroom tv already has freeview than why bother? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you would be able to use the old HD box to record programmes - even freeview - without a Sky subscription.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 11-02-2018 at 3:45 PM.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 12th Feb 18, 9:47 AM
    • 4,786 Posts
    • 1,989 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Ok, but if the bedroom tv already has freeview than why bother? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you would be able to use the old HD box to record programmes - even freeview - without a Sky subscription.
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    Fine if you have an terrestrial aerial feed to the bedroom TV for Freeview - but many people don't. If you already have the Sky cables then why not use them??
    Agreed that you can't record programmes on the old HD box without a + subscription. If you need to record then need to replace Sky box with Freesat+ box eg Humax
    The key issue is the LNB on the dish.If you "allow" the fitter to use a Q only LNB then you are at the mercy of Murdoch's Evil Empire
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 12th Feb 18, 6:55 PM
    • 2,565 Posts
    • 3,553 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Fine if you have an terrestrial aerial feed to the bedroom TV for Freeview - but many people don't.
    Posted by brewerdave
    Our terrestrial aerial is in the attic, and the lead goes through the built in wardrobe. Perhaps we're lucky to live in a good reception area?
    • Froglet
    • By Froglet 28th Feb 18, 9:48 PM
    • 2,533 Posts
    • 3,024 Thanks
    Froglet
    Can I also ask a question about sky Q please.I did try to discuss it with the nice chap from Sky this morning but he might as well have been in a different country.I could hardly understand his broad Scottish language !
    We are having a 2tb Q box in a few months time.Been quoted 12 per month extra.As we do not want a second box(ie the multiroom subscription) but will be given a free mini box,are we going to be charged for something we won't use or is that the only option?.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 28th Feb 18, 10:07 PM
    • 31,465 Posts
    • 19,870 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Can I also ask a question about sky Q please.I did try to discuss it with the nice chap from Sky this morning but he might as well have been in a different country.I could hardly understand his broad Scottish language !
    We are having a 2tb Q box in a few months time.Been quoted 12 per month extra.As we do not want a second box(ie the multiroom subscription) but will be given a free mini box,are we going to be charged for something we won't use or is that the only option?.
    Originally posted by Froglet
    You say a free mini box, did you ask if it was free of a monthly charge (is that what you meant by free ), maybe ring again and ask again.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

697Posts Today

5,848Users online

Martin's Twitter