Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieR2
    • By JackieR2 7th Feb 18, 11:53 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 1Thanks
    JackieR2
    Thermostat is confusing me
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:53 PM
    Thermostat is confusing me 7th Feb 18 at 11:53 PM
    Hi - its been a while, I usually only an around here when I want something.... anyhow

My house has a thermostat in it which you rotate and it turns on the heating using an ideal boilet. this is about my level of understanding and I dont feel like I really want to know much more than this but there is an issue I have noticed these last 2 days.

The lowest that the dial will turn is 10 degrees, this is when it is rotated all the way anti clockwise. I was told when it was been seviced that this does mean that the heating will kick in if the temp ever dropped below 10 degrees but I had never seen this happen before.

I have not turned the heating on for the last few days and have noticed it coming on and off a lot. I am usually only home for a week each moth and the rest of the time the house is empty.

Having heating that cannot actually be totally tuned off seems like madness, is this normal?
Page 1
    • stator
    • By stator 8th Feb 18, 12:00 AM
    • 6,153 Posts
    • 4,067 Thanks
    stator
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:00 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:00 AM
    If you turn it off fully the pipes will freeze in this weather.

It may be an internal thermostat is turning the boiler on rather than the room thermostat.

I assume you have a combi boiler and your hot water isn't in a separate tank?
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 8th Feb 18, 7:53 AM
    • 312 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:53 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:53 AM
    We've had the coldest weather this winter, even with the thermostat set at 10C I'm not surprised the C/H has fired.

There may well also be a froststat in the boiler which is triggering to prevent pipes freezing.

The only way to turn boilers properly off is the electrical switch on the front panel.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

770Posts Today

6,071Users online

Martin's Twitter