Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Labtec81
    • By Labtec81 7th Feb 18, 11:49 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Labtec81
    Neighbour turned off gas supply
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:49 PM
    Neighbour turned off gas supply 7th Feb 18 at 11:49 PM
    My neighbour for the last week minimum has been going into my gas meter box and shutting off my gas supply between 7 and 8.30pm and turning it back on at 6am when he leaves for work!! So at night I've had no hot water or central heating and after exhausting every other thing it might be I finally clicked what's been going on and I was right!! When I opened the box that houses the gas meter and checking what position the handle should be with a neighbours gas meter it was obvious mine had been deliberately turned off.

Funnily enough he'd complained about the boiler vibrating after the heating has been on for a few hours and he said he couldn't get a proper nights sleep, well whenever I heard it usually literally 5 minutes after it started making the vibrating noise I turned the tap on which relieved the pressure and stopped the boiler from vibrating!

But for my neighbour to take it upon himself to turn my gas off is surely against the law? Tampering with someone else's gas supply being the offence?

Had I not had a backup form of heating in the form of an electric fan heater I would have been freezing and 1 of the nights before I got the fan heater I was so cold because the temperature was -4 outside that my skin even changed colour to a purply blue colour, this is due to long term illness which has led to poor circulation.

I have emailed the landlord to broach this subject with my neighbour even though I've no actual proof it was definitely him, but the times it goes off and comes back on all coincide with when my neighbour leaves for work (when the gas supply comes back on) and when he comes home from work it mysteriously turns off between 7pm and 8.30pm, I got picked up by a friend of mine tonight at 8.15pm and as we drove off to go to the supermarket I saw my neighbour clear as day come out of the front door and when I checked the gas meter shortly after I'd got back at around 10pm the gas supply had been turned off!

Does anybody else have any further advice I need to be aware of??
Page 3
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 8th Feb 18, 2:11 PM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    House Martin
    I don't doubt it, but that's why I suggested a combination lock. Just a line on the notes rather than a single physical object.

I'm basing this on something House Martin said on the energy board about getting supplier notes when reading meters, although I'd still give it less than 50/50 odds of success.
    Originally posted by Raxiel
    That is true.We get notes for access all the time with some customers which includes things like codes for flats front doors,or where to go to neighbour for a door key .Raxiels idea would work fine. It would need the OP to phone the supplier to give instructions of the coded padlock combination number.
    The meter box itself is the property of the house owner so it is not illegal to drill a hole or two to add a padlock.
    I have been warned by Revenue Protection to inform them of anyone who puts a padlock on an outside meter box so they can check payment history.Most of the time the customer is bypassing or substituting the gas meter but many times its because of fear of vandalism . I ve found quite a few meter boxes over the years where the meter has been nicked completely for use as a substitute meter .
    Over the years I ve come across this sort of thing happening with a vindictive neighbour turning off gas control valve on outside meter boxes. The control valve can be moved to the inside but the customer would probably have to pay for this
    . Tampering with a gas supply is illegal and dangerous. There are plenty of old style gas boilers around with a pilot light when once switched off are difficult to relight.
    Personally If I had filmed evidence I would be going to the police. They would soon put a stop to it and it would be a powerful deterrent to stop it for good
    Last edited by House Martin; 08-02-2018 at 2:14 PM.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Feb 18, 2:23 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    And you dont find that willfully turning off someones gas supply (one that doesnt belong to you) fits in that criteria of harassment, alarm or distress?
    Wow. Alrighty then.
    Originally posted by AylesburyDuck
    My understanding is the law was created to tackle ‘yob culture’ behaviour. I suspect there are other laws which would apply.

Another poster put a link to the 2014 act which suggests that causing nuisance or annoyance to a domicile is an offence in itself- so I suspect that would apply .
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 8th Feb 18, 2:35 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    unrecordings
    . Tampering with a gas supply is illegal and dangerous. There are plenty of old style gas boilers around with a pilot light when once switched off are difficult to relight.
    Personally If I had filmed evidence I would be going to the police. They would soon put a stop to it and it would be a powerful deterrent to stop it for good
    Originally posted by House Martin
    This

Maybe as a first step a call to National Grid might be in order. They may be able to advise prior to a call to the police.

And thinking on, is this neighbour likely to have thought of wearing gloves ? If the National Grid think it's serious enough, and you have reason to believe it's your neighbour (having nearly caught them in the act) then maybe the police will go round and take some dabs. You won't necessarily prove who did it, but will certainly provide a keen deterrent (your neighbour will then move onto some other means of 'punishment')

Edit: Forgot the National Grid link

https://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/safety-and-emergencies/gas-emergencies-and-safety-advice
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 8th Feb 18, 3:17 PM
    • 807 Posts
    • 819 Thanks
    Margot123
    No, it's not anti-social. and the LL does not need to take action unless their tenant has actually been convicted of anti-social behaviour.
    Originally posted by Comms69
    What do you base these 'facts' on?
    In my professional experience, this simply isn't a true statement.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 8th Feb 18, 3:28 PM
    • 1,628 Posts
    • 2,158 Thanks
    badmemory
    If I was the LL & knew about this & had done nothing, I would be asking myself if my insurance will cover me for when the building blows up.

Just shows how little some people think through the consequences of their actions.
    • paddycharlie
    • By paddycharlie 8th Feb 18, 3:29 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    paddycharlie
    Would the common sense action not be to speak to the neighbour about it in te first instance. If the neighbour confesses tell them to stop as it is illegal and if they continue to do it that you will have no choice but to report it to the authorities. And if they denies it as the OP expects then say someone is doing it and you will need to get authorities involved to investigate it as its illegal.
    Then if continues look into involving others if it happens again.

All of this getting LL involved, energy company involved, police taking dabs etc. is a it OTT at this stage.

What ever happened to the tea and cake approach
    • pimento
    • By pimento 8th Feb 18, 3:32 PM
    • 5,377 Posts
    • 7,009 Thanks
    pimento

Originally posted by paddycharlie
    I'm assuming that the OP and the neighbour have already had a chat about the vibrating pipes and I expect the neighbour is at the end of their tether being kept awake. It would do my head in if I knew the OP could sort the vibrations out but seemed to be doing nothing and I had to go to work leaving the house at 6am.

Not excusing him, mind you but there is obviously a history not being told in full here.

ETA:
    ...the times it goes off and comes back on all coincide with when my neighbour leaves for work (when the gas supply comes back on) and when he comes home from work it mysteriously turns off between 7pm and 8.30pm,
    So the neighbour does a 14 hour day. No wonder sleep deprivation is making him do strange things.
    Last edited by pimento; 08-02-2018 at 3:35 PM.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 8th Feb 18, 3:51 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    unrecordings
    All of this getting LL involved, energy company involved, police taking dabs etc. is a it OTT at this stage.

Originally posted by paddycharlie
    Fair point, but we don't have the OP's background knowledge of the neighbour. Only they can assess the outcome of tea & cake versus the police. To my mind mucking around with someone's gas supply is past the tea & cake approach, and I reckon if the OP called National Grid they would concur
    • paddycharlie
    • By paddycharlie 8th Feb 18, 3:57 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    paddycharlie
    But the OP hasn't spoke to the neighbour about the gas going off. It will likely end up like Chinese whispers now the LL is involved and increase any bad feeling that existed by approaching the LL first.

If they speak about it then any issues can be discussed and solutions to any issues like adults instead of going behind each others backs.

With the OP being certain that it is being turned off due to the noise issue and they have the same LL then get the neighbour to take it out on the LL about fixing the issues instead of taking it out on the OP.
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 8th Feb 18, 3:58 PM
    • 655 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Raxiel
    Perhaps the Neighbour needs to buy a white noise machine if the sound of the boiler is keeping them awake
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 8th Feb 18, 4:34 PM
    • 15,724 Posts
    • 21,599 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    Why not just paint some UV paint onto the box, then go round all your neighbours houses with some leaflets asking them to contact you if they see anyone tampering with your gas supply.

When handing over the leaflet, just shine a UV light at their hands, and if they glow, you have your evidence.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 8th Feb 18, 4:44 PM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    House Martin
    I'm assuming that the OP and the neighbour have already had a chat about the vibrating pipes and I expect the neighbour is at the end of their tether being kept awake. It would do my head in if I knew the OP could sort the vibrations out but seemed to be doing nothing and I had to go to work leaving the house at 6am.

Not excusing him, mind you but there is obviously a history not being told in full here.

ETA:

So the neighbour does a 14 hour day. No wonder sleep deprivation is making him do strange things.
    Originally posted by pimento
    Ear plugs work well . A bit of rattling central heating pipes/radiators is nothing compared to what I suffered with living next door to a bunch of kids on all night party raves for 6 months until they were evicted.
    .Absolutely no excuse for criminal behaviour like that by the sneaky berk
    The landlord should be concerned if it ends up with a gas cooker pouring out gas all night and blowing the lot up. I doubt the house insurance would cover deliberate gas supply tampering
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 8th Feb 18, 4:49 PM
    • 655 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Raxiel
    Ear plugs work well . A bit of rattling central heating pipes/radiators is nothing compared to what I suffered with living next door to a bunch of kids on all night party raves for 6 months until they were evicted.
    .Absolutely no excuse for criminal behaviour like that by the sneaky berk
    The landlord should be concerned if it ends up with a gas cooker pouring out gas all night and blowing the lot up. I doubt the house insurance would cover deliberate gas supply tampering
    Originally posted by House Martin
    Actualy, that's a point. Take my 'Playing dumb' suggestion in post #34, and add on to the end "Lets hope whoever's messing around stops, if there were a gas explosion we could both be homeless, or worse!" See if they have the nerve to carry on after that!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 9th Feb 18, 11:51 AM
    • 44,114 Posts
    • 52,304 Thanks
    G_M
    [QUOTE=paddycharlie;73850824

What ever happened to the tea and cake approach[/QUOTE]
    Even I suspect it's gone beyond that.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 9th Feb 18, 11:54 AM
    • 12,114 Posts
    • 17,061 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    Why not just paint some UV paint onto the box, then go round all your neighbours houses with some leaflets asking them to contact you if they see anyone tampering with your gas supply.

When handing over the leaflet, just shine a UV light at their hands, and if they glow, you have your evidence.
    Originally posted by pinkshoes

Very CSI
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 9th Feb 18, 2:08 PM
    • 3,304 Posts
    • 3,538 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Would love an update on this.
    • googler
    • By googler 9th Feb 18, 3:56 PM
    • 14,777 Posts
    • 9,692 Thanks
    googler
    Sheet of A4 paper loosely taped over the supply handle inside the meter box, reading something like;

"This is the gas supply for NNNN at No. NN. Please do NOT switch off without prior consultation"

= = =

Battery-operated PIR alarm inside the box, secured with double-sided tape, cable tie or similar.

= = =

Weatherproof adhesive tape over the opening handle on the outside of the box, with, in permanent market on the tape - "This is the gas supply for NNNN at No. NN. Please do NOT switch off without prior consultation"
    • kev25v6
    • By kev25v6 9th Feb 18, 4:08 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    kev25v6
    Just use the smart water the police give out for free. Same as the UV mentioned above. Neighbour won!!!8217;t be able to deny it then if their hands are covered in it as it takes ages to wash off
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

537Posts Today

5,487Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin