Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cdturri
    • By cdturri 7th Feb 18, 11:25 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 3Thanks
    cdturri
    Amazon Fresh Tax!
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:25 PM
    Amazon Fresh Tax! 7th Feb 18 at 11:25 PM
    Hi, I recently started using Amazon Fresh for my Groceries shopping but I have noticed a very worrying thing. I searched for an item in Amazon UK and it showed up as an Amazon Fresh item but at a higher price than the Amazon product I was looking for. Why is that? The item is cheaper when I buy it from the official supplier. This is sneaky! I searched for this item "UBIQUITI NETWORKS UBI-UAP-AC-PRO" and I get this link as the first search result:

amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-NETWORKS-UBI-UAP-AC-PRO-5Ghz-1300Mbps/dp/B016XYQ3WK?ppw=fresh

This takes me to the product I want but it's priced at 129.58 and "Dispatched from and sold by AmazonFresh". If I remove the "ppw=fresh" from the URL I get to the proper Amazon Product page:

amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-NETWORKS-UBI-UAP-AC-PRO-5Ghz-1300Mbps/dp/B016XYQ3WK/ref=sr_1_1

This product is priced at 125.11, delivered at no additional cost for Prime Members. Sold by EURO DK and Fulfilled by Amazon. Why is Amazon showing me first the more expensive AmazonFresh alternative? This is crazy. Amazon Fresh is poisoning my Amazon product searches and offering me products at a higher price!
Page 1
    • cdturri
    • By cdturri 7th Feb 18, 11:46 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    cdturri
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:46 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:46 PM
    A bit of searching and I found another product with the same issue:

Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive

Amazon Fresh price: 125.88
    Amazon cheapest price: 119.99

This seems to be happening to products which are offered in the Amazon Fresh store but sold by third parties with the "Fulfilled by Amazon" at a cheaper price in Amazon. Obviously Amazon is choosing to show me the Amazon Fresh price/product page, rather than the cheapest available in Amazon. This is clearly wrong, specially since I am searching the whole Amazon UK site not the Amazon Fresh site section and these are computing products, not grocery products. In any case I should be shown the cheapest product available, regardless on which internal store it is.
    Last edited by cdturri; 07-02-2018 at 11:52 PM.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 8th Feb 18, 9:09 AM
    • 4,399 Posts
    • 4,429 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:09 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:09 AM
    Shock horror - business seeks to maximise revenue and profit!

Their website, their rules unfortunately.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 8th Feb 18, 9:36 AM
    • 807 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    jon81uk
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:36 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:36 AM
    there is often a button to see all prices from all sellers. clicking that should show you the other prices that are possibly lower.
    The regular fulfilled by Amazon price would have free delivery with Prime or over 2p, whereas fresh is delivered differently I assume.
    • miniemma
    • By miniemma 8th Feb 18, 11:04 AM
    • 439 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    miniemma
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:04 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:04 AM
    Your link to the cheaper item shows 'Sold by Euro DK' and 'fulfilled by Amazon' which means the price is set by Euro DK, not Amazon. Amazon just hold it in their warehouse on behalf of Euro DK.
    • cdturri
    • By cdturri 8th Feb 18, 12:57 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    cdturri
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:57 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:57 PM
    Your link to the cheaper item shows 'Sold by Euro DK' and 'fulfilled by Amazon' which means the price is set by Euro DK, not Amazon. Amazon just hold it in their warehouse on behalf of Euro DK.
    Originally posted by miniemma
    That is the whole point here. What Amazon seems to be doing is reselling items they don't sell on Amazon, but third party sellers do, at a higher price on Amazon Fresh. They got them in their warehouses, as these items are "Fulfilled by Amazon", they are merely showing them on Amazon Fresh at a higher price. So I think they are not only screwing up Amazon customers but third party sellers too. In fact they could be violating terms selling licensing deals here. Euro DK is the sole official distributor for Ubiquiti products in Europe. Amazon are basically taking their products and selling them at a higher cost.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 8th Feb 18, 2:02 PM
    • 9,190 Posts
    • 13,329 Thanks
    meer53
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:02 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:02 PM
    If Amazon Fresh is for groceries, why are you looking at non grocery product prices ?
    • cdturri
    • By cdturri 8th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    cdturri
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    If Amazon Fresh is for groceries, why are you looking at non grocery product prices ?
    Originally posted by meer53
    There is only one Amazon site. While there is an Amazon Fresh groceries site section I am searching at the home page for a non grocery product so I shouldn't see Amazon Fresh results. Also the list of electronics on the Amazon Fresh Electronics store is quite large, see this link:

amazon.co.uk/s/ref=UKDBSF70?ie=UTF8&bbn=6723205031&node=560798

So you can't know for sure whether something is offered on Amazon Fresh or not, groceries or not.
    Last edited by cdturri; 08-02-2018 at 2:30 PM.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 8th Feb 18, 5:19 PM
    • 27,218 Posts
    • 10,964 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:19 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:19 PM
    Whenever i find something yes it lists the Amazon sold item first but it always states this product maybe available cheaper.

The difference is one is sold by Amazon and the other is a 3rd party seller using Amazon fulfilment.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 8th Feb 18, 5:24 PM
    • 9,190 Posts
    • 13,329 Thanks
    meer53
    There is only one Amazon site. While there is an Amazon Fresh groceries site section I am searching at the home page for a non grocery product so I shouldn't see Amazon Fresh results. Also the list of electronics on the Amazon Fresh Electronics store is quite large, see this link:

amazon.co.uk/s/ref=UKDBSF70?ie=UTF8&bbn=6723205031&node=560798

So you can't know for sure whether something is offered on Amazon Fresh or not, groceries or not.
    Originally posted by cdturri
    Surely after searching you would just order the best priced product ? Regardless of which bit of Amazon is was listed on ? I would only ever pay a higher price if the seller wasn't Amazon and their reviews weren't good.
    • cdturri
    • By cdturri 8th Feb 18, 5:51 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    cdturri
    Surely after searching you would just order the best priced product ? Regardless of which bit of Amazon is was listed on ? I would only ever pay a higher price if the seller wasn't Amazon and their reviews weren't good.
    This is the whole point of my post. When you search you don't see the cheapest product! You see the Amazon Fresh one which is more expensive. In most other cases Amazon will show you always the cheapest price, even if it is a third party seller. However in this case it doesn't show the cheapest, and it puts itself above the cheapest price hiding it.
    Last edited by cdturri; 08-02-2018 at 6:04 PM.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 8th Feb 18, 7:26 PM
    • 9,190 Posts
    • 13,329 Thanks
    meer53
    This is the whole point of my post. When you search you don't see the cheapest product! You see the Amazon Fresh one which is more expensive. In most other cases Amazon will show you always the cheapest price, even if it is a third party seller. However in this case it doesn't show the cheapest, and it puts itself above the cheapest price hiding it.
    So search on Amazon instead of Amazon Fresh ? I just did a search on Amazon Fresh for a product and it brought up lots of the same item at different prices, none of them were "hidden" ?
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 8th Feb 18, 7:29 PM
    • 4,399 Posts
    • 4,429 Thanks
    DoaM
    So search on Amazon instead of Amazon Fresh ?
    Didn't the OP say that that's exactly what they're doing? Searching via the Amazon home page.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • cdturri
    • By cdturri 8th Feb 18, 8:47 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    cdturri
    Didn't the OP say that that's exactly what they're doing? Searching via the Amazon home page.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Yeah exactly. I am searching at the hope, that is the whole issue. If I was searching on the Amazon Fresh site section I will have no problems seeing that. Here is a screen shot:

This is the link the search results generate. If you run this in your computer you will not get the Amazon Fresh result since you don't have Amazon Fresh. you can also run it on an incognito browser window and you will see the correct product priced at 125.11 not the one I see at 129.58.

www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=UBIQUITI+NETWORKS+UBI-UAP-AC-PRO
    • meer53
    • By meer53 9th Feb 18, 9:57 AM
    • 9,190 Posts
    • 13,329 Thanks
    meer53
    Yeah exactly. I am searching at the hope, that is the whole issue. If I was searching on the Amazon Fresh site section I will have no problems seeing that. Here is a screen shot:

This is the link the search results generate. If you run this in your computer you will not get the Amazon Fresh result since you don't have Amazon Fresh. you can also run it on an incognito browser window and you will see the correct product priced at 125.11 not the one I see at 129.58.

www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=UBIQUITI+NETWORKS+UBI-UAP-AC-PRO
    Your link shows me a price of 124.70 ?
    • cdturri
    • By cdturri 10th Feb 18, 12:31 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    cdturri
    Your link shows me a price of 124.70 ?
    Do you have Amazon Fresh? I don't think anyone is getting the point of this post. I don't see the item on Amazon fresh anymore, I complained to the Europe Distributor so maybe they complained to Amazon. The issue is still there though. Here is another item. If you subscribe to Amazon Fresh the first results shows the item 125.88. If you don't subscribe to Amazon Fresh or in incognito browser it shows at 118.79:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Samsung+850+EVO+500+GB+2.5+inch+Solid+Sta te+Drive
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 12th Feb 18, 10:07 AM
    • 807 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    jon81uk
    I think the issue is that as you have an Amazon Fresh subscription it will always show you the option to use that delivery service first and buy the products sold directly from Amazon.
    Therefore if you want to buy from another store you will need to selct them.
    I often deliberatly go in and find sold by Amazon as I have had issues with marketplace sellers before and sometimes paying the extra 2 is worth it for better service.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,308Posts Today

7,961Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin