Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Feb 18, 11:14 PM
    • 15,352Posts
    • 42,823Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Cataract treatment - can it really be true?
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:14 PM
    Cataract treatment - can it really be true? 7th Feb 18 at 11:14 PM
    A friend of mine that also moved to Wales recently has been told (via an optician locally - not word of mouth from someone-in-the-street) that she will be made to wait one YEAR between the first eye being done and the second one being done.

The optician said the reason is the powers-that-be in the Welsh NHS are refusing to take on people for those jobs if they don't speak Welsh and the posts are being left vacant!!!!!!!!!

I've heard of someone other than the best person for the job being taken on. I've heard of the best person for the job being taken on and made to agree they will learn Welsh (in, say, 2 years).

I've not heard the situation is as best as refusing to take on anyone suitable for these jobs if they can't find a Welsh speaker and then imposing a year wait on patients because of the resultant lack of staff (instead of the normal 3? months wait between eyes).

Is that really true? - though I know it is an optician that said it ....so one must assume it is the truth.

Has anyone any evidence of these posts being left unfilled for this "reason"?

Has anyone been made to wait for more than 3 months to get their second eye done?
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 07-02-2018 at 11:17 PM.
    Fastest way to get a headache = try and make someone that thinks for themselves conform to local "group think"
Page 4
    • tooldle
    • By tooldle 11th Feb 18, 4:42 PM
    • 290 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    tooldle
    Factual error flagged up - no it doesnt.

As one comes over the border from England - the signs go English, then Welsh. One of the ways one can tell one has come as far as West Wales is that the order has changed and turned from that to putting Welsh first and English second.

There is nothing laid down stating Welsh has to come first. It is just the preference of a few of the more Western counties of Wales. Other Welsh counties have the preference for it being the other way round.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    You are most definitely wrong. We are working through the many changes required in my workplace at present.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 11th Feb 18, 4:45 PM
    • 3,522 Posts
    • 8,724 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Ah, so youíre Irish living in Wales!
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    Nope ......born & bred (& will probably die!) in Wales
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 11th Feb 18, 5:12 PM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 2,089 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    Factual error flagged up - no it doesnt.

As one comes over the border from England - the signs go English, then Welsh. One of the ways one can tell one has come as far as West Wales is that the order has changed and turned from that to putting Welsh first and English second.

There is nothing laid down stating Welsh has to come first. It is just the preference of a few of the more Western counties of Wales. Other Welsh counties have the preference for it being the other way round.
    When you go "abroad" do you not make an effort to speak any words of the language? I think it is only polite and it is always well received. Certainly, if I lived somewhere full time I would make a real effort to do so.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 11th Feb 18, 6:12 PM
    • 23,810 Posts
    • 61,980 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Nope ......born & bred (& will probably die!) in Wales
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime

Wow! I must be mad! I could have sworn you supported Ireland on all rugby threads.

Shwmai i'r hwntw arall!
    Iím a Valley girl really, but honorary gog for 40 years.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • hunters
    • By hunters 11th Feb 18, 6:38 PM
    • 754 Posts
    • 2,116 Thanks
    hunters
    Annual appt this week with optician so must ask the times between first and second eye as I read in another thread the OP is now saying the optician says it!!!8217;s four to six weeks from first eye to second. Maybe I should just ask a friend of a friend who asked their optician?
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Feb 18, 7:41 PM
    • 15,352 Posts
    • 42,823 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    When you go "abroad" do you not make an effort to speak any words of the language? I think it is only polite and it is always well received. Certainly, if I lived somewhere full time I would make a real effort to do so.
    Originally posted by happyandcontented
    Yes...when I go abroad I do.

But I guess you know that....
    Fastest way to get a headache = try and make someone that thinks for themselves conform to local "group think"
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 11th Feb 18, 10:06 PM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 2,089 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    Yes...when I go abroad I do.

But I guess you know that....
    No, genuinely, I didn't, how could I know that from your response here re Welsh? The two responses are diametrically opposed.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Feb 18, 7:11 AM
    • 15,352 Posts
    • 42,823 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I thought you were going in for the faux innocence a couple of posters have before now.

I'm in Britain and not a foreign country though - as we know. Definition of foreign to a British person = some country outside Britain (eg France, Germany, Africa, etc).

I wouldnt dream of regarding a Welsh, Scottish, Irish person in England as foreign. They're as British as I am.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 12-02-2018 at 7:14 AM.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 12th Feb 18, 9:03 AM
    • 23,810 Posts
    • 61,980 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I thought you were going in for the faux innocence a couple of posters have before now.

I'm in Britain and not a foreign country though - as we know. Definition of foreign to a British person = some country outside Britain (eg France, Germany, Africa, etc).

I wouldnt dream of regarding a Welsh, Scottish, Irish person in England as foreign. They're as British as I am.

Money, it is you who is being disingenuous. Wales is a country, as are England, Scotland and Ireland. We come together as Britain or the UK.

You continually dismiss the individual identities of Welsh, in particular.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 12th Feb 18, 4:00 PM
    • 3,522 Posts
    • 8,724 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime

The term British is a term that covers the people of England, Wales, Scotland & NI which have been linked together through a number of Acts of Parliament - Wales & England in 1536 (though I guess some people would argue 1284), Scotland joined E&W in 1707 with NI joining in in 1800.

Take away those man made Acts and you have English, Welsh, Scotish & Northern Irish people.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Feb 18, 5:35 PM
    • 15,352 Posts
    • 42,823 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Trying to recall a news item on the radio today - about an incident that happened abroad - but do recall the announcer was calling them "British" and not "English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh or anything else one can think of".

You might like to look a bit further back whilst you're on the subject:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Age_tribes_in_Britain

or maybe we'll just think Picts, Saxons, Normans....

or a different direction and call us all Europeans....
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 12-02-2018 at 5:37 PM.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Feb 18, 11:35 PM
    • 2,573 Posts
    • 6,890 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Trying to recall a news item on the radio today - about an incident that happened abroad - but do recall the announcer was calling them "British" and not "English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh or anything else one can think of".

You might like to look a bit further back whilst you're on the subject:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Age_tribes_in_Britain

or maybe we'll just think Picts, Saxons, Normans....

or a different direction and call us all Europeans....
    Why is it so important to you to deny that Wales is a country? Legally, officially, in every way that matters, it is one. I genuinely don't understand why it bothers you so much?

England is a country too, did you get so het up about that when you lived there?
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 13th Feb 18, 7:38 AM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 8,756 Thanks
    wondercollie
    The term British is a term that covers the people of England, Wales, Scotland & NI which have been linked together through a number of Acts of Parliament - Wales & England in 1536 (though I guess some people would argue 1284), Scotland joined E&W in 1707 with NI joining in in 1800.

Take away those man made Acts and you have English, Welsh, Scotish & Northern Irish people.
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    Erm, a Scottish king inherited the English crown. It could be argued that England and Wales joined Scotland under the Act of Union 1706.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 19th Feb 18, 4:37 PM
    • 8,287 Posts
    • 6,108 Thanks
    pmduk
    Ironically since this post was created I've been referred for cataract surgery myself. First assessment for surgery with the surgeon 7 days after diagnosis and, if suitable, the surgery to take place within the next fortnight!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 20th Feb 18, 8:25 PM
    • 4,431 Posts
    • 39,189 Thanks
    Floss
    Annual appt this week with optician so must ask the times between first and second eye as I read in another thread the OP is now saying the optician says it!!!8217;s four to six weeks from first eye to second. Maybe I should just ask a friend of a friend who asked their optician?
    Originally posted by hunters
    I think you'd be best asking your dentist or chiropodist TBH
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,945Posts Today

8,550Users online

Martin's Twitter