Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • citrine9192
    • By citrine9192 7th Feb 18, 10:43 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    citrine9192
    Letter of claim - lowell
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:43 PM
    Letter of claim - lowell 7th Feb 18 at 10:43 PM
    Hi guys, i would appreciate it if anyone could give some advise on my situation.

I have received a letter of claim from lowell of 660 for an old vodafone account from 2011.At that time i had lost my debit card and someone had done identity fraud using my details and taken out multiple phone contracts under my name. i had reported this to the police and had contacted all the mobile phone providers who had cancelled the contracts apart from vodafone who did not agree. Eventually they had passed the debt over to lowell ( or moorcroft, cant remember but its been transferred a lot). After calling and sending letters constantly i panicked and agreed to pay them 1 a month in late 2011/start of 2012. In total i have paid 9 towards the debt however i cant remember the exact dates so i don't know if 6 years have passed.

i received a letter of claim on the 21/01/18 and on the letter it says that the debt was assigned to their client on march 2014. it shows a statement of account from 2014 to 2018 which states i have made payments of 9, however those were not made during those dates. I have received a reply form and an information sheet with the letter .

i would really appreciate it if someone can help me with this because i don't want to end up paying a debt that i don't owe and i don't want it to end up going to court.

thank you
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 7th Feb 18, 11:22 PM
    • 14,042 Posts
    • 13,302 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:22 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:22 PM
    Hi,

Unfortunately by paying it, you have acknowledged it as your debt, saying that it was fraudulent now, wont help you a great deal.

It is going to court now, so you have no choice but to either defend it, or admit liability.

You say you are unsure about your last payment dates, it may be your best option is to defend the case as been statute barred, that puts the ball in their court to prove it isnt.

If that works, all well and good, if not, a payment plan will have to be agreed.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
  • National Debtline
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:47 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:47 PM
    Hi citrine9192

Is it a letter before claim you have received? Or a county court claim pack? A letter before claim tells you that the company is considering court action. You have 30 days to respond and you will have the option to admit the debt, dispute it, ask for more information or time to seek debt advice. If you feel the information they have provided is not correct, you can explain why you dispute it and ask for further information. Be careful not to acknowledge the debt in case it is nearly statute barred.

If it is a county court claim you have received you will have 14 days to respond. This can be extended to 28 days if you intend to defend the claim (you'll need to return the acknowledgement of service to do this). It's advisable to seek legal advice before defending a claim as you can incur costs if you are not successful. You can find more on how to respond to court papers here https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/replyingtoacountycourtclaim/replyingtoaccj.aspx.

Whether it is a claim form or letter before claim, it's important to respond in the time allowed and return it by recorded delivery. Good luck with it all.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 8th Feb 18, 7:32 PM
    • 12,247 Posts
    • 9,281 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:32 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:32 PM
    If it's a pre-action protocol letter, which it sounds like, you need to follow this

https://debtcamel.co.uk/letter-before-claim-ccj/

Remember - tick box C and give 'em a list in Box I
  • Vodafone
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:51 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:51 PM
    Hi citrine9192,

Thanks for making me aware of this.

If you'd like me to look into the account in question, please email me via the form here.

To access the form you'll need to enter the code WRT135.

As well as stating your query in the question box, please also quote "MSE Forum".

Once sent, you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. Post it on here and I'll check that it's been received.

Kind regards,

Lee

Vodafone Social Media
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • citrine9192
    • By citrine9192 12th Feb 18, 1:32 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    citrine9192
    • 12th Feb 18, 1:32 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 1:32 AM
    reference #18037017

thanks lee
  • Vodafone
    • 12th Feb 18, 5:42 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 5:42 PM
    Hi citrine9192,

Thanks for coming back to me.

I've got your email and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Kind regards,

Lee

Vodafone Social Media
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

127Posts Today

1,667Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin