Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dush_yant
    • By dush_yant 7th Feb 18, 10:22 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 5Thanks
    dush_yant
    New homes - developers open to offers?
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:22 PM
    New homes - developers open to offers? 7th Feb 18 at 10:22 PM
    Hi,
    I'm looking to buy a new home in Reading and there are a few developers - Taylor Wimpey, Bloor Homes, Bovis, Bellway, Linden, etc
    Unfortunately most of the offerings are unaffordable for me.
    Based on forum members past experience - are the developers likely to accept offers of around 3-4% under asking price or will I be forced to buy at the full asking price with discounts given for "upgrades" if I'm lucky?
    Thanks
Page 1
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 7th Feb 18, 10:43 PM
    • 4,416 Posts
    • 6,351 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:43 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:43 PM
    Hi,
    I'm looking to buy a new home in Reading and there are a few developers - Taylor Wimpey, Bloor Homes, Bovis, Bellway, Linden, etc
    Based on forum members past experience - are the developers likely to accept offers of around 3-4% under asking price or will I be forced to buy at the full asking price with discounts given for "upgrades" if I'm lucky?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by dush_yant
    Reading has a huge number of modern houses. Why not go for a second hand modern one which will be cheaper than a new one?
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 7th Feb 18, 10:48 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:48 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:48 PM
    What Cakeguts said.

If you're prepared to buy off plan and move into one of the first completed properties on the development, you'll probably pay a bit less than those that move in to one of the final houses to be competed. But yes, you'll pay the New House Premium whatever. Plus a lot of new builds have issues around standards of build, size of garden/rooms, quality of finish etc.

Why new build?
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 7th Feb 18, 11:39 PM
    • 9,605 Posts
    • 10,683 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:39 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:39 PM
    Hi,
    Thanks
    Originally posted by dush_yant
    I live in the Reading area. From what I've seen, new houses are anywhere from 10-25% more expensive than the equivalent older houses. The one my daughter bought 3 years ago was far cheaper than the new ones we looked at in a very comparable area, location-wise, which were also smaller if anything, 399k new or 335 s/h. Insane price differential.

I'd also say that if a 3% drop is necessary for you to afford it, you are skating on thin ice.
    • luis1988
    • By luis1988 8th Feb 18, 8:29 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    luis1988
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:29 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:29 AM
    We bought with Linden Homes (off plan) about 20/25 miles west of Reading.

House was marketed at 327,000, we paid 279,000.

They put a huge markup on these so I always think there is plenty of room for manoeuvre if buying off plan.
    • dush_yant
    • By dush_yant 8th Feb 18, 10:59 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    dush_yant
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:59 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:59 AM

They put a huge markup on these so I always think there is plenty of room for manoeuvre if buying off plan.
    Originally posted by luis1988
    Thanks for your reply. Did you buy your property recently?
    Last edited by dush_yant; 08-02-2018 at 11:01 AM.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 8th Feb 18, 11:27 AM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 3,909 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:27 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by luis1988
    20/25 miles west of Reading is Newbury - hardly Reading at all, and where local conditions are going to be quite different. For example, Reading will be benefiting from CrossRail, which Newbury won't, which may increase demand and make developers less likely to accept low offers.

Furthermore, buying off plan is a completely different kettle of fish to buying somewhere which is being built - the developments which the OP mentions are all being built, not still in the planning stages.

Your anecdote is therefore almost completely irrelevant to the question being asked, but pleased you got a discount on your Linden home.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 8th Feb 18, 11:37 AM
    • 9,605 Posts
    • 10,683 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:37 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:37 AM
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5790370
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

216Posts Today

1,922Users online

Martin's Twitter