Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rach2186
    • By Rach2186 7th Feb 18, 10:11 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 25Thanks
    Rach2186
    Newbie in need of help!
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:11 PM
    Newbie in need of help! 7th Feb 18 at 10:11 PM
    Hi all,

I have been through all of the articles and made a checklist of things I need to do to hopefully get a handle on my debt.

A bit of backstory..I had no idea I was in debt until my husband left me and subsequently left me with a lot of unpaid council tax and phone contracts. The agreement between us was I would pay rent he would pay bills and I foolishly opened all accounts.

I owe 10k mostly with Equita and lowell. Lowell have been accommodating, equita have been a nightmare and refused all offers of repayment plans and I am constantly in fear of aggressive bailiffs.

Ex husband is of course not willing to help pay any of this, I am a student nurse with two young children living on a minimal bursary and tax credits.

Any advice RE equita? They are my priority debt at the moment as all other creditors have agreed to freeze interest for 12 months and accept 1 per month

I am getting shamefully close to cashing the childrens ISAs in to pay them off. Im fully willing to budget and work hard to get debt free asap!

All advice welcomed!!
Page 2
    • consultant31
    • By consultant31 11th Feb 18, 11:06 AM
    • 4,708 Posts
    • 14,443 Thanks
    consultant31
    Thank you, for the life of me I cannot get to grips with these storage heaters so will definitely take your advice!

Update on the past few days..
    Switched energy, broadband, car insurance. Managed to cancel sky tv and used my clubcard vouchers to buy a now tv box so thats saved me about 50pm

A friend was also kind enough to give me a few budget cookbooks, slashed my monthly bill from 300 to 100 with the clever use of my freezer, advanced planning and batch cooking.

All "extras" such as spotify, netflix etc have been cancelled. Have started PPI claims with the template letters. Also HUGE thanks for pointing out the council tax..uni sent me an exemption form which I took straight to the council and I am indeed due a refund of around 400!!

All in all I've managed to save around 300pm with some really simple changes - any sporadic maintenance payments aren't accounted for so will be a bonus and put straight on to debts.

Had a chat with family and friends and we have all agreed on a gift free 2018 so no presents except my children. I use park vouchers for xmas so I wont need to worry about that either. I have also ordered a PAYG sim for when my contract ends.

Feeling so positive, have started a debt folder to keep track of everything and plot payments etc to keep me motivated. Thanks for all advice
    Originally posted by Rach2186
    This is such an uplifting, positive post, I found myself smiling as I read it
    Go girl!
    I let my mind wander and it never came back!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,974Posts Today

8,421Users online

Martin's Twitter