Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • junkie_ball
    • By junkie_ball 7th Feb 18, 8:17 PM
    • 37Posts
    • 0Thanks
    junkie_ball
    Switching meters and suppliers?
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:17 PM
    Switching meters and suppliers? 7th Feb 18 at 8:17 PM
    Hi

Our house currently has a pre-paid electric meter (a throw back from years ago). We have no credit issues so i don't think being able to change to a credit meter will be an issue.

What i would like to know is our current supplier (SSE) monthly direct debt tariff is actually looking like 300 a year more than the current pre-paid. Scottish Electric is about 320 a year cheaper. Would i switch to Scottish Electric first and ask to fit a new meter as part of the switch (even if there is a cost to install the meter) or would i need SSE to fit the meter and if so would there be any minimum amount of time i'd then have to wait before i could switch?
Page 1
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 9th Feb 18, 10:18 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:18 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:18 PM
    For a dumb meter six of one and half a dozen of the other. Personally I would sign up with a new supplier on direct debit payments and then they should swap the meter. My reason for doing it this way is that if I apply to change to a credit account, let them fit a new meter and then switch is that there would be two credit searches on my credit history, one from my present supplier and another from my new supplier.

Note that even with no credit issues you could be asked to pay a deposit when changing from prepaid to credit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,654Posts Today

8,217Users online

Martin's Twitter