Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • expert witness
    • By expert witness 7th Feb 18, 6:46 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    expert witness
    0 WOW
    Norwegian Air Incompetence?
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:46 PM
    0 WOW
    Norwegian Air Incompetence? 7th Feb 18 at 6:46 PM
    Hello, I'd like any thoughts on how or if I might proceed on what just happened with Norwegian Air.

I have 3 tkts booked GAT - OAK - GAT, in June.
    Earlier today we all received emails saying there's severe disruption with that route, please check your MY TRAVELS section.

MY TRAVELS says the return flight route is cancelled.
    I get on chat help with Norwegian.
    They apologise and we look at days either side for an alternative and it comes up with nothing available, or no flights, or no direct flights, and agree cancelling is best. I have to cancel 2 of the 3 because the 3rd can be moved to other dates.

However, whilst the system is 'cancelling' the chatter tells me the flight route is NOT actually cancelled, only the name of the flight has changed (not true - it said cancelled) and we don't need to do this.

So the chatter begins to 'un-cancel', tells me the system is over loaded, tells me to leave a number. I do that. No one calls, of course.

But the tkts are actually cancelled (which I did not want to do), I get back on chat, they tell me there is nothing that can be done.

There are currently no flights bookable on that route on the website.

I'm getting refunded but a flight GAT - SFO - GAT or similar, with flexi conditions is 1000s more on other airlines. We needed the fleixble return.

A bizarre and shoddy experience.
Page 1
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 7th Feb 18, 6:51 PM
    • 11,150 Posts
    • 7,323 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:51 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:51 PM
    what was your return travel date?
    • expert witness
    • By expert witness 8th Feb 18, 12:12 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    expert witness
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:12 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:12 AM
    what was your return travel date?
    Originally posted by Caz3121
    Return flight was July 3rd.

My flight is still valid, the two people I was traveling with have 'lost' their flights.
    Last edited by expert witness; 08-02-2018 at 12:15 AM.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 8th Feb 18, 3:07 AM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 954 Thanks
    Westin
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:07 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:07 AM
    Hmmm. Slightly confused by the lay down of the events but there does seem to be something afoot with this D8 route.

A check of their website gives no flight availability LGW OAK after 24 March.

Travel in the other direction OAK LGW is however possible and bookable BUT it is not a direct flight. Also not available on all days of the week. No flight or connection on 3 July but available either side but routing via BCN.

Seems possibly !!!8216;My Travel!!!8217; might be correct. The direct or indirect route ex UK is cancelled - although an indirect route is still available for travel ex USA.

Would be a shame if D8 have pulled this flight but understandable with BA determined it seems to chase them and launch same routes.

Perhaps check BA for LGW OAK LGW alternatives.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 8th Feb 18, 3:16 AM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 954 Thanks
    Westin
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:16 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:16 AM
    I think possibly the OP has possibly inadvertently reported some breaking news.

What are Norweigan up to?

Just checked LGW DEN LGW flight in May on dates I have already booked with them and that route is also blocked out for new reservations. My booking still however live.

Hoping just website maintenance overnight but looks like I might need to investigate further in the morning.
    Last edited by Westin; 08-02-2018 at 3:19 AM.
    • expert witness
    • By expert witness 8th Feb 18, 12:19 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    expert witness
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:19 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:19 PM
    As of an hour or so ago, the route is now bookable. And I have rebooked the exact same flights.

Assuming I do get refunded for the original booking (I won't get the stressful hours back ((), we're back where we started.

Moral of this story - don't respond TOO quickly to "urgent" messages from Norwegian.
    • expert witness
    • By expert witness 8th Feb 18, 12:21 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    expert witness
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:21 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:21 PM
    ...D8 route...

...Seems possibly !!!8216;My Travel!!!8217...
    Originally posted by Westin
    Thanks for the comment. What does D eight and the other quoted bit mean?
    Last edited by expert witness; 08-02-2018 at 12:22 PM. Reason: MSE changed 8 to an asterix, so I typed the word eight
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 8th Feb 18, 12:27 PM
    • 8,206 Posts
    • 10,449 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:27 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:27 PM
    Thanks for the comment. What does D eight and the other quoted bit mean?
    Originally posted by expert witness
    It means this forum doesn't like iPad.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 8th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    • 3,749 Posts
    • 5,160 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    D8 is the airline code for Norwegian
    • Westin
    • By Westin 8th Feb 18, 2:57 PM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 954 Thanks
    Westin
    I think Norwegian must have just been updating their systems.

The Denver route is now back up on sale.

I had a heart stopping moment this morning when I also received an email from Norwegian announcing an "important change to my upcoming Denver flights". Thinking the worst I clicked through on the provided link and expected notification of a cancellation. Instead it was a "schedule change". However there was no schedule change. Dates and timings exactly the same as booked. The only change was the flight number prefix changing to DI with the carrier shown as Norwegian Air Shuttle (which I think should actually be Norwegian Air UK).

Confusingly it also gave me an option to cancel if I did not wish to accept the change. I can see that could catch some out.

So now Norwegian use flight prefix's - D8 / DY / DI / DU / DN - depending it seems on the Norwegian subsidiary operating the flights.

Norwegian Long Haul - DU
    Norwegian Air International (Irish registered) - D8
    Norwegian Air Shuttle - DY
    Norwegian Air UK - DI
    Norwegian Air Argentina - DN
    • Kellysmithwebb
    • By Kellysmithwebb 9th Feb 18, 9:46 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kellysmithwebb
    We have received several messages for our 3 day visit gat-ny in April visit telling the flight in now an hour longer ( its direct) im very surprised and concerned they would have got the time/distance wrong. Then have told us there is no flight entertainment on board they keep urging us to cancel and are spoon feeding us bad news. Due to the fact the flights were bought for 350 in the January sakes we havent a hope of getting anything in the same price bracket and now are very concerned. If anybody has any advice I would very grateful.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 10th Feb 18, 8:07 AM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 954 Thanks
    Westin
    In the correspondence do they mention an aircraft change?

With news of a longer flight time and also no IFE I wonder if they are substituting the normal B787 with the smaller B737MAX.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 10th Feb 18, 8:22 AM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 954 Thanks
    Westin
    Update on above >

Looking at their website it would seem some LGW JFK LGW services in April are being sub chartered to Hi Fly (http://www.hifly.aero/en/profile.html). Looks to be DI 7013/4 flights.

Hi Fly have been used before by Norwegian and indeed many other airlines for short notice replacements and longer term regular work. When Norwegian used them previously I think it was one of the Hi Fly A330 aircraft used. They have IFE but it probably will not be the same as the Norwegian show reels which could be why they have notified you saying no IFE. There but perhaps limited.

HiFly are also operating a regular flight behalf of Air New Zealand at the moment.

Just look forward to your trip to NYC.
    Last edited by Westin; 10-02-2018 at 8:23 AM. Reason: Still the MSE dislike of iPads continues unfixed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

818Posts Today

5,743Users online

Martin's Twitter