Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • abinanthanb
    • By abinanthanb 7th Feb 18, 6:07 PM
    • 167Posts
    • 100Thanks
    abinanthanb
    Addtional Card Holder - Credit Card
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:07 PM
    Addtional Card Holder - Credit Card 7th Feb 18 at 6:07 PM
    I want to add my friend as an additional cardholder with my credit card account.

He has declared Bankrupt last year, hence bad credit.

I understand the risk comes with this, but he needs this only to use while renting a car. They need credit card to hold deposit and it should be in his name, very strict about this.

My question is, will he be added as an associate in my credit profile? Will the credit card company run a credit check before adding him?
    Thanks
    I am neither a bull nor a bear. I am a FTB, looking for a HOME, not a financial investment!
Page 1
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 7th Feb 18, 6:11 PM
    • 1,430 Posts
    • 1,157 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:11 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:11 PM
    The T&Cs will be different for each provider and you don't mention which one yours is. I know that Barclays will only issue an additional card to someone who is related to you and lives at the same address.
    I really don't think (but willing to be proved wrong) that any provider would give you a card for an unrelated friend.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • abinanthanb
    • By abinanthanb 7th Feb 18, 6:15 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    abinanthanb
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:15 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:15 PM
    The T&Cs will be different for each provider and you don't mention which one yours is. I know that Barclays will only issue an additional card to someone who is related to you and lives at the same address.
    I really don't think (but willing to be proved wrong) that any provider would give you a card for an unrelated friend.
    Originally posted by Shakin Steve
    I have got TSB & American Express (BA) cards. Will try either.
    I am neither a bull nor a bear. I am a FTB, looking for a HOME, not a financial investment!
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 7th Feb 18, 6:19 PM
    • 24,788 Posts
    • 11,994 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:19 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:19 PM
    They will pick up the bankruptcy when they search him for ID purposes IMO.
    A non starter - why don't you make the purchases for him and he can pay you back?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Jox
    • By Jox 7th Feb 18, 6:26 PM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 2,771 Thanks
    Jox
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:26 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:26 PM
    Don't do it
    • abinanthanb
    • By abinanthanb 7th Feb 18, 6:27 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    abinanthanb
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:27 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:27 PM
    They will pick up the bankruptcy when they search him for ID purposes IMO.
    A non starter - why don't you make the purchases for him and he can pay you back?
    Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever
    Oops, that will be it then.

This is not for purchases. As mentioned in OP, he needs a credit card to hold deposit when he rents a car.
    • abinanthanb
    • By abinanthanb 7th Feb 18, 6:32 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    abinanthanb
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:32 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:32 PM
    Don't do it
    Originally posted by Jox
    Always one comes up with this, regardless of the situation explained. I have clearly explained that this is not to buy stuff, only to overcome some strict rules applied by car renting companies.

My friend has trusted me with money that's much more than my total credit limit in these cards. I guess its basic decency to help him out in his current situation.
    • lildoonbuggy
    • By lildoonbuggy 7th Feb 18, 6:42 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    lildoonbuggy
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:42 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:42 PM
    You could always try booking through a company that allows debit cards if that's all he has available to him. Enterprise is one that will allow this, but I'm sure a bit of ringing around/research will churn up more.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 7th Feb 18, 6:53 PM
    • 24,788 Posts
    • 11,994 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:53 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:53 PM
    Always one comes up with this, regardless of the situation explained. I have clearly explained that this is not to buy stuff, only to overcome some strict rules applied by car renting companies.

My friend has trusted me with money that's much more than my total credit limit in these cards. I guess its basic decency to help him out in his current situation.
    Originally posted by abinanthanb
    You could argue that case I suppose but what of the creditors he did not pay back when going bankrupt?
    Was it a decent thing to do?

I am not suggesting he did it lightly but there is always 2 sides.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • abinanthanb
    • By abinanthanb 7th Feb 18, 6:53 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    abinanthanb
    You could always try booking through a company that allows debit cards if that's all he has available to him. Enterprise is one that will allow this, but I'm sure a bit of ringing around/research will churn up more.
    Originally posted by lildoonbuggy
    Yes, very few do. But they ask for a deposit astronomical in figures. Also using a third party insurance is a nightmare with these rental companies in these situations.

But it looks like he has to live with it as both banks wont allow to add someone not in family!
    • abinanthanb
    • By abinanthanb 7th Feb 18, 7:01 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    abinanthanb
    You could argue that case I suppose but what of the creditors he did not pay back when going bankrupt?
    Was it a decent thing to do?

I am not suggesting he did it lightly but there is always 2 sides.
    Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever
    I can only talk for myself. I want to do the decent thing. I am not the one to judge him based on his actions with others and choose to punish/forgive. He helped me out and I think its my turn to help him now.
    • lildoonbuggy
    • By lildoonbuggy 7th Feb 18, 7:19 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    lildoonbuggy
    Don't let them trick you into paying their insurance, there's plenty of companies that offer excess insurance for 2 a day - just Google car hire excess insurance. Not sure if you could try a prepaid credit card? Definitely worth calling ahead regardless.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 7th Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    No they will not be financially associated with you.

And they won't have anything added to their credit report either.

All payments etc will be your responsibility. They are just named on the card.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 7th Feb 18, 7:54 PM
    • 1,430 Posts
    • 1,157 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    No they will not be financially associated with you.

And they won't have anything added to their credit report either.

All payments etc will be your responsibility. They are just named on the card.
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    You're right....because they won't be getting a card
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

122Posts Today

1,691Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin