Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • twizzzt
    • By twizzzt 7th Feb 18, 3:38 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 4Thanks
    twizzzt
    money mule help
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:38 PM
    money mule help 7th Feb 18 at 3:38 PM
    Right, I am not asking for forgiveness or criticism I know what I have done is dumb and stupid I know that I have potentially messed up my future but here is my story:

I am 17 and was duped into a money mule scheme online I have been threatened and blackmailed by fraudsters who have my details, but here is where the story starts over 2 weeks ago I accepted a payment of 3k and to transfer the funds to another account by some hoax story claiming the money came from some sort of worker at the bank, I said to the guy that I did not want to do it over the phone he said the money had already been sent to my account and that I could not back out of it then threats insinuated and I did the job the next day

my hsbc has now been temporarily frozen for over 2 weeks with no one notifying me which I know isn't a requirement on the banks part however they have not raised any issues with me I assume this means my account is under investigation right now. I want to know any advice anyone has on this topic as I am young and have a bright fashion design career ahead of myself as I recently got accepted to one of the best fashion schools in the UK I want to know what action I should take and what will happen to my future as I have not been able to sleep or eat recently with this massive problem lingering over me.

Many thanks for anyone that can advise me in what to do.
Page 3
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 9th Feb 18, 4:11 PM
    • 4,333 Posts
    • 14,890 Thanks
    Westie983
    I hope you have contacted the police and your bank, its better that you tell them that you are the innocent party in this even though you have made a mistake.

This sadly is becoming more common and I see/hear of this happening too often.

You cant change the past but you can at least try to change your future. Only you can make this choice, you have been given some help and advice even though you feel like you have no where to turn, you do but only you can make this decision.

This forum is great for getting advice and answered but ultimately its down to you.

Speak to the police, you have a chance to make things easier and if you dont make this step, you are probably going to look like you are complicit in the fraud and you will probably end up in a worse position. You could have a lot to gain but only you can make this decision. What have you got to lose?

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2018 #10 Total (£25,000)+£10,000/£12,000 = 83.33%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (£410) + £40/£500 = 8.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 £1 a Day #2 Total £62.59/£365 = 17.14%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total £750/£1,000 = 75.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (£1,500)+-480/£2,000 = 51.00%

Total £11,872.59/£15,865 = 74.83%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • brianposter
    • By brianposter 9th Feb 18, 6:54 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    brianposter
    Might be best to ring the police first and ask when is the best time to go in and discuss the problem. That way you may get someone who is interested.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 9th Feb 18, 9:39 PM
    • 2,240 Posts
    • 3,053 Thanks
    Robisere
    To those of us reading this thread and your predicament, what seems to be a way out: go to police, tell parents, etc., is the conclusion we have arrived at because we are older, have experience and would not be bothered by the embarrassment you wrongly feel.

To a 17 yo just starting out in what a short time ago seemed to promise so much, it will be different. Without enough life experience to understand that the threats this young lad is receiving are bottomless, he feels trapped. I can understand that, but please believe me, the only way out is to go to family, the law, the bank and conquer your fears. When this is all over (and it will be over) you will feel nothing but relief. You have a battle before you, to conquer your understandable fear, but you did not achieve what you have achieved, without intelligence: use it to work for you. At the end of all this, you will have learned a lesson about life that many people do not learn until they are older.

Please do the correct thing for yourself and own up to those who can help you put this right. I wish you the very best of luck, with the strength and moral courage to face down your tormentors with help.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 9th Feb 18, 9:59 PM
    • 31,633 Posts
    • 19,956 Thanks
    DCFC79
    thank you I have decided to go to HSBC today and come clean to them
    Originally posted by twizzzt
    You told your parents yet ?
    When you going to speak to the poloce about it ?
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • twizzzt
    • By twizzzt 10th Feb 18, 10:46 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    twizzzt
    UPDATE I received a letter from santander saying that I could not bank with them anymore due to information that could be held by CIFAS experian equifax etc however my HSBC still remains frozen
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 10th Feb 18, 1:49 PM
    • 4,333 Posts
    • 14,890 Thanks
    Westie983
    UPDATE I received a letter from santander saying that I could not bank with them anymore due to information that could be held by CIFAS experian equifax etc however my HSBC still remains frozen
    Have you spoken to the police?

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2018 #10 Total (£25,000)+£10,000/£12,000 = 83.33%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (£410) + £40/£500 = 8.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 £1 a Day #2 Total £62.59/£365 = 17.14%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total £750/£1,000 = 75.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (£1,500)+-480/£2,000 = 51.00%

Total £11,872.59/£15,865 = 74.83%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • colsten
    • By colsten 10th Feb 18, 1:59 PM
    • 9,008 Posts
    • 7,754 Thanks
    colsten
    update I am still a nervous a wreck and santander has now chosen to close my account
    I mentioned in post #8 that you are also likely to have serious difficulties to get a bank account for many years.

What happened when you saw HSBC about the matter? When is your appointment with the Police?
    • twizzzt
    • By twizzzt 22nd Feb 18, 8:45 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    twizzzt
    UPDATE: All sorted I came clean and HSBC let me off the hook however said I will still have the CIFAS and won’t be able to bank with them, I thought this would be the end but I was kindly welcomed in by metro bank and cannot vouch for them anymore anyone else who has been in my situation open up a metric account
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 22nd Feb 18, 9:25 PM
    • 4,949 Posts
    • 13,202 Thanks
    EachPenny
    UPDATE: All sorted I came clean and HSBC let me off the hook however said I will still have the CIFAS and won’t be able to bank with them, I thought this would be the end but I was kindly welcomed in by metro bank and cannot vouch for them anymore anyone else who has been in my situation open up a metric account
    Better advice to other people would be to not get into that situation in the first place. You've been relatively lucky that Metro Bank have taken you on. Not everybody will be that lucky.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 22nd Feb 18, 9:29 PM
    • 31,633 Posts
    • 19,956 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Sounds like you got off lightly, did you go to the police ? Not sure how mcuh they could do if the perps aren't in the UK.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 22nd Feb 18, 11:15 PM
    • 24,764 Posts
    • 11,970 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    There is no guarantee that Metro will not close the account in the next few days if they check the CIFAS register.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • twizzzt
    • By twizzzt 22nd Feb 18, 11:18 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    twizzzt
    Sounds like you got off lightly, did you go to the police ? Not sure how mcuh they could do if the perps aren't in the UK.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    the perps were in the UK I knew one of the fraudsters number,and even met up with them once.

After a police interview in my home I researched into how they handle money laundering cases and I have assumed that based on my research in which I will go into detail the reasons I believe they let me off the hook

They could most likely tell from my house (not to be cocky I am from a privileged family and have a nice house and been in private education all my life) and also by my polite and cooperative demeanour that I was not actually a criminal and was not actually in possession of any criminal goods(stacks of money) or displaying a "criminal lifestyle" (excessive designer clothing or gadgets) bare in mind I am para-phrasing things from police case studies that they have actually stated on the case studies to help officers when dealing with this type of issue.
    Another reason why I think I was let off the hook was that this was a relatively small amount in the scheme of fraud compared to the stories you hear about people receiving tens of thousands of pounds if not hundreds of thousands.

So all in all I would say this has been a very educational and if not serious wake up call for someone like myself who has relatively had it easy my whole life, being a posh middle class teen left me in a bubble when it came to finances and my perception of money and finance has completely changed since and I will always be so grateful for everyone's advice on this forum as you have all seriously helped me out in ways that I can never be grateful enough for.

This whole experience has led me to want to stand up against these fraudsters and I feel that not enough information is out there that supports people like myself who have been threatened into doing these things without making them feel ashamed of being a criminal themselves. And as I see this as a serious pandemic sweeping across teenagers nowadays and how getting involved in a scheme like this could potentially ruin someones life at such an early age it has left me wanting to get my story out and possibly even give speeches at schools one day. As talking to my peers about my problems I realised that not enough young people take their finances seriously which was highlighted when multiple friends said they would open bank accounts for me to use including giving me the card with the account, showing they aren't aware that anything I do on the account will be on their file and this could potentially lead them to also breaching policies with their bank and thus them also losing out on the opportunity to bank. This just shows the lack of talks there are about this topic as the talks in school nowadays tend to be more about sexting over snapchat then they are about finance.

Sorry for the long read, just this is something I feel very passionate about. Once again thank you for all the help I really do appreciate it as it would have been very easy for you all to laugh at me and condemn me for being so careless, so for the thoughtful replies I am eternally thankful to all of you.
    • twizzzt
    • By twizzzt 22nd Feb 18, 11:21 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    twizzzt
    There is no guarantee that Metro will not close the account in the next few days if they check the CIFAS register.
    Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever
    I appreciate that but as I spoke to the colleague in the store he seemed very sympathetic and as it is a cash account and not a current account I am positive they will not close it and reading previous experiences most people who have been in this situation have been accepted by metro.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

88Posts Today

1,181Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin