Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • twizzzt
    • By twizzzt 7th Feb 18, 3:38 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 4Thanks
    twizzzt
    money mule help
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:38 PM
    money mule help 7th Feb 18 at 3:38 PM
    Right, I am not asking for forgiveness or criticism I know what I have done is dumb and stupid I know that I have potentially messed up my future but here is my story:

I am 17 and was duped into a money mule scheme online I have been threatened and blackmailed by fraudsters who have my details, but here is where the story starts over 2 weeks ago I accepted a payment of 3k and to transfer the funds to another account by some hoax story claiming the money came from some sort of worker at the bank, I said to the guy that I did not want to do it over the phone he said the money had already been sent to my account and that I could not back out of it then threats insinuated and I did the job the next day

my hsbc has now been temporarily frozen for over 2 weeks with no one notifying me which I know isn't a requirement on the banks part however they have not raised any issues with me I assume this means my account is under investigation right now. I want to know any advice anyone has on this topic as I am young and have a bright fashion design career ahead of myself as I recently got accepted to one of the best fashion schools in the UK I want to know what action I should take and what will happen to my future as I have not been able to sleep or eat recently with this massive problem lingering over me.

Many thanks for anyone that can advise me in what to do.
Page 2
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 7th Feb 18, 10:28 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 509 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    Come on pal, just talk to the police on 101 or via Actionfraud. This may well be the trickiest situation you've gotten into so far in your life, but rest assured one mistake is rarely fatal. It's human to make errors of judgement, what's important now is to control the damage as best you can, and that will involve letting your nearest and dearest know what's happened and getting their support (and a bit of a rollicking if your parents are like mine were). For what it's worth I doubt the bloke you spoke to is legitimately an hours drive from you (that's what they want you to think to intimidate you), and at any rate now the bank has frozen your account the game is up and you couldn't do any more "jobs" for them if you wanted to.

Speak to:
    Your family!
    Police on 101 if you feel threatened
    Police on 999 if you honestly believe you're in imminent danger
    Actionfraud to let the police know the nature of the scam
    Samaritans on 116 123 if you are getting stressed and having grim thoughts
    Later on contact your bank for any updates they're authorised to give you, and also consider getting a copy of your credit report from Experian, Equifax and/or Callcredit to see what effect this incident has had on your financial health.
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 7th Feb 18, 10:41 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 805 Thanks
    boo_star
    Originally posted by SevenOfNine
    There are quite a few parts of that article that donít really add up but itís not surprising, young people are fairly naive when it comes to financial affairs so itís entirely expected that theyíll be targeted.

ďFree money!Ē and all that.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 7th Feb 18, 10:47 PM
    • 31,462 Posts
    • 19,868 Thanks
    DCFC79
    You need to talk to someone about it, it could prevent someone else getting duped.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • mazworld15
    • By mazworld15 8th Feb 18, 12:38 AM
    • 172 Posts
    • 2,260 Thanks
    mazworld15
    Ring the bank first thing in the morning the number is on the back of your debit card, dont press any options just hold and someone will answer and help and advise you, we all make mistakes, the bank will help you to sort it x
    • twizzzt
    • By twizzzt 8th Feb 18, 8:14 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    twizzzt
    Update:
    Day 3 of no eating barely any sleep I do not know where to turn anymore I am stuck and I have myself to blame I would like to speak out but I am scared of getting arrested and feeling ashamed and scared of what my family will think
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 8th Feb 18, 8:17 AM
    • 31,462 Posts
    • 19,868 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Update:
    Day 3 of no eating barely any sleep I do not know where to turn anymore I am stuck and I have myself to blame I would like to speak out but I am scared of getting arrested and feeling ashamed and scared of what my family will think
    Originally posted by twizzzt
    You explain what happened.

Was it done all online, I mean the communication with so and so getting you to be a mule, if done online you may have the chat transcripts stored on your pc.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 08-02-2018 at 8:39 AM.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • twizzzt
    • By twizzzt 8th Feb 18, 8:52 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    twizzzt
    You explain what happened.

Was it done all online, I mean the communication with so and so getting you to be a mule, if done online you may have the chat transcripts stored on your pc.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    Over text/ WhatsApp and a bit on the phone however I feel like some transcripts may be incriminating
    • msallen
    • By msallen 8th Feb 18, 9:33 AM
    • 778 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    msallen
    Update:
    If your account is already under investigation then talking to the bank can only be a positive, as they will already be aware that money has been laundered through your account. By speaking up before you're confronted with that fact you are putting yourself in a far better position.
    • HappyHarry
    • By HappyHarry 8th Feb 18, 9:55 AM
    • 576 Posts
    • 850 Thanks
    HappyHarry
    We all make mistakes when we are young. No one's died because of your stupidity, you've just had your bank account suspended.

You've found the courage to post the details of your situation on here, and are reading the responses.

Find that courage again, and screw up that courage, together with every little bit of courage you can find anywhere else into one big ball, and then use that courage to phone the police / parents / bank.

You will feel so much better afterwards.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
    • twizzzt
    • By twizzzt 8th Feb 18, 10:02 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    twizzzt
    We all make mistakes when we are young. No one's died because of your stupidity, you've just had your bank account suspended.

You've found the courage to post the details of your situation on here, and are reading the responses.

Find that courage again, and screw up that courage, together with every little bit of courage you can find anywhere else into one big ball, and then use that courage to phone the police / parents / bank.

You will feel so much better afterwards.
    Originally posted by HappyHarry
    I think I will, around a week ago I was the happiest guy around just received my acceptance letter to my fashion school and now this has knocked me down so hard and I miss being able to smile and laugh about things however the fraudster has said if I come clean about it that is how the banks and police will do me dirty etc
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 8th Feb 18, 10:19 AM
    • 11,600 Posts
    • 11,217 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    I do not know where to turn anymore
    Flobberchops' post #21 gives you a list of where to turn.

I have myself to blame
    And the scammers. But the fact that you are accepting blame is a good thing - it shows maturity.

I am scared of getting arrested
    You have a bunch of thugs who have threatened you if you don't transfer money for them.
    Your bank account has been frozen.
    You can transfer no more money for these crooks.
    Now, I don't believe for one minute that they are in this country and/or would take action for just £3000 (it's a lot to the likes of you and I, but not to serious fraudsters). But you appear to believe that they would. In which case, getting arrested right now seems like a good idea!
    In any case, the sooner the police hear your side of the story and see your evidence the sooner they can start to establish where these bad guys are.

Also, if what you have done is arrestable, then you're going to get arrested for it. The bank know what's happening. I don't rate your chances of them forgetting to tell the police! You'll be seen in a better light if you tell them yourself.

[quote[feeling ashamed and scared of what my family will think[/QUOTE]
    Again, this has already come to the bank's attention. It won't end here. Your family will find out. Better that they find out from you than when the police come knocking on the door.

Could you email a link to this thread to someone you trust? Just say "This is me" or something similar. Would that be easier than telling them face to face?
    • twizzzt
    • By twizzzt 8th Feb 18, 11:19 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    twizzzt
    Again, this has already come to the bank's attention. It won't end here. Your family will find out. Better that they find out from you than when the police come knocking on the door.

Could you email a link to this thread to someone you trust? Just say "This is me" or something similar. Would that be easier than telling them face to face?
    Thanks for the advice i was thinking of showing the thread as an easier way of managing to tell someone[/QUOTE]
    Yes im really stuck I donít even know what to say to the police or bank
    • SpiraliS
    • By SpiraliS 8th Feb 18, 12:22 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    SpiraliS
    twizzzt, above all, take positive action now:

Tell the police, and tell your parents immediately and let them both help you - because they will, trust me

Spin it around - if you were a dad and your son just told you he made this silly mistake, you would still go out of your way to help him no matter what.

Do it now and take action, and you'll sleep so much better tonight.
    Feb 2018 diary:
    Debt: £13,169.83 (all on 0% CC til Sept 2018, repaying £333 a month)
    Mortgage: £193,535.06 (on Repayment, 5-yr fix @ 2.39%)

Savings: £8,600 in various accounts all @ 5% interest (drops to 1% in March, after which will use total to pay off some of 0% CC)
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 8th Feb 18, 2:56 PM
    • 4,271 Posts
    • 38,649 Thanks
    Katiehound
    However much we want to help - we can't because we don't know you and we don't know where you are.

As far as I am concerned I find that very frustrating 'cos if I knew you I'd be saying "Look, let's go to the bank and sort it out, or we'll phone the local police and ask them to visit."

Crooks have you where they want you- believing all their nonsense.

You don't know what to say? Yes, you do:
    Just say I've done something stupid and this has what happened........and I'm worried sick......
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..39 cc+.840mm(84p) + RK £3.07= £4.30
    • twizzzt
    • By twizzzt 9th Feb 18, 10:16 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    twizzzt
    update I am still a nervous a wreck and santander has now chosen to close my account
    • msallen
    • By msallen 9th Feb 18, 10:46 AM
    • 778 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    msallen
    We've all told you what to do, and the sooner you do it the better.
    • twizzzt
    • By twizzzt 9th Feb 18, 11:18 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    twizzzt
    We've all told you what to do, and the sooner you do it the better.
    Originally posted by msallen
    thank you I have decided to go to HSBC today and come clean to them
    • societys child
    • By societys child 9th Feb 18, 2:27 PM
    • 5,190 Posts
    • 5,722 Thanks
    societys child
    So you've not been to the police then?

I'm sorry but I have doubts about this thread.

• Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 9th Feb 18, 3:21 PM
    • 4,271 Posts
    • 38,649 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Well, I have doubts too but I'd rather err on the safe side........
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..39 cc+.840mm(84p) + RK £3.07= £4.30
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 9th Feb 18, 3:43 PM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    Yes. I'd rather look like a bit of a fool pandering to a troll, than to dismiss a genuine poster in trouble as a troll.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,846Posts Today

7,871Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I hate customer service lines that ALWAYS say, every time you ring (at any time in the day)... "sorry we are experi? https://t.co/GGCGM0WNai

• After the news I'm suing facebook over scam ads, people keep sending me ads with my pic in asking, ?is THIS ad with? https://t.co/lhTmijgnWt

• So Facebook just waxed lyrical about all the things they're doing to stop fake ads. Whoop de whoop. Yet THESE SCA? https://t.co/hP4q6kRuuQ

• Follow Martin