Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mdf1985
    • By mdf1985 7th Feb 18, 3:07 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mdf1985
    Commercial Credit Card issue
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:07 PM
    Commercial Credit Card issue 7th Feb 18 at 3:07 PM
    Hello,

I'm a small business owner and have a business credit. In October I setup a direct debit to make payment on this, and each month I when I log into the credit card website I could see that payment has been made so I spent as required. The statement each month said direct debit paid, thank you.

Today I logged in and noticed my balance had gone from a couple of hundred pounds to a couple of thousand without me purchasing anything. I received a call from the credit card supplier stating that the Direct Debit that was being paid was being paid by a different company on my card - and that my direct debit was never setup. They are now demanding that I pay the 6 months of direct debits that this other company has been paying. Asking me to pull over 1500 out to cover that, and said I will charged interest unless I make this full payment.

As I could see a payment was being made on the credit card website I didn't pay much attention to cross reference that with my bank which is why I have not noticed (I know I should have checked but I didn't it was a simple mistake).

Do I have any rights as to not be charged interest or late payment fee with this issue being made on the way they setup the direct debit?

Any advice on what I can do to get this rectified without having to pull out 1500 in one go?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Feb 18, 3:09 PM
    • 16,792 Posts
    • 17,805 Thanks
    zx81
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:09 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:09 PM
    You could ask - but you have benefited from not having paid any interest on the debt to date, so you're doing fairly well as it is.

I would try to pay as much as you can, whilst pushing for a goodwill gesture. I certainly wouldn't expect to be charged a late payment fee.
    • msallen
    • By msallen 7th Feb 18, 3:48 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 889 Thanks
    msallen
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:48 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:48 PM
    Surely if the money has not been taken from your bank, then you have that much more in your bank account and can now pay the credit card with it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

2,545Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin