Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sweetpeas
    • By sweetpeas 7th Feb 18, 3:02 PM
    • 2,221Posts
    • 8,960Thanks
    sweetpeas
    Benefits help
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:02 PM
    Benefits help 7th Feb 18 at 3:02 PM
    Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice please as I've never claimed benefits in my life and after a hunt around online I'm struggling for information.

At the moment I work full time, partner too, both earn approx 30k.

We are looking to buy a small business (leasehold cafe) and in the interim while the business is new I was wondering if there was anything I could claim in way of benefits to help us get by, if I was to leave my full time job?

I've seen stuff about income based, contribution based... have no idea what any of it is on about and am generally over my head with this sort of thing.

Any advice appreciated.

TIA, Sweetpeas x
Page 1
    • sjbrun
    • By sjbrun 7th Feb 18, 5:46 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    sjbrun
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:46 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:46 PM
    You generally need to build that into the business plan, you may need to save for while to get some cash reserves behind you.

Why should the tax payer subsidise your business when you have left a well paying job.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 7th Feb 18, 5:54 PM
    • 4,552 Posts
    • 7,618 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:54 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:54 PM
    I'm afraid I agree. And I think that you'd need something very special to make a small cafe bring in more than 30k. Why would toy give up a well paid job for a risky money pit? And with 60k a year coming in, you don't have the savings to support yourself so you want the taxpayer to pay for your business venture....?

Sounds to me like you haven't given much thought to what you are doing.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 7th Feb 18, 5:59 PM
    • 29,094 Posts
    • 74,373 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:59 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:59 PM

We are looking to buy a small business (leasehold cafe) and in the interim while the business is new I was wondering if there was anything I could claim in way of benefits to help us get by, if I was to leave my full time job?
    Originally posted by sweetpeas
    Stay in your job for another year but live off one wage.

That will give you a year's salary as back-up while you leave your job and try to make a go of a small business.
    • sweetpeas
    • By sweetpeas 7th Feb 18, 6:12 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 8,960 Thanks
    sweetpeas
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:12 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:12 PM
    Should have really added that my job is at risk at the moment so if I get made redundant the payout will cover the cost of the business to start up. Wasn't very clear was I.

Thanks, Sweets
    • sjbrun
    • By sjbrun 7th Feb 18, 6:18 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    sjbrun
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:18 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:18 PM
    Perfect so the redundancy is also your cash reserves and you!!!8217;ve already built it into your business plan.

Plenty of people who start a business have to go without for months or much longer to get their business off the ground. I know I did and would never dream of asking for tax payer help to build my business.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 7th Feb 18, 6:20 PM
    • 4,552 Posts
    • 7,618 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:20 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:20 PM
    Should have really added that my job is at risk at the moment so if I get made redundant the payout will cover the cost of the business to start up. Wasn't very clear was I.

Thanks, Sweets
    But that still doesn't make a difference. If you want to be claiming unemployment benefits, you need to be looking for work. If you aren't, then toy are expecting everyone in work to pay for you to set up a business that may very well fail - and if it doesn't, only benefits you.

Is there just the two of you? In which case, if you can't live for one year on 30k, your problem isn't the potential business. If you can't live on that you need to get back into work quickly. 30k may not be luxury, but it is far more than many people have for an entire family. You can't afford to take risks if you can't live on that.
    • sweetpeas
    • By sweetpeas 7th Feb 18, 6:31 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 8,960 Thanks
    sweetpeas
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:31 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:31 PM
    I was thinking more grants for the business that get paid back or something like that.
    Obviously I wouldn't claim 'unemployed' benefits as I wouldn't be 'unemployed'...

as I've said, I've no idea if and what new businesses can get as i've never been out of full time work.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 7th Feb 18, 6:35 PM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 3,090 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:35 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:35 PM
    I was thinking more grants for the business that get paid back or something like that.
    Obviously I wouldn't claim 'unemployed' benefits as I wouldn't be 'unemployed'...

as I've said, I've no idea if and what new businesses can get as i've never been out of full time work.
    That would be a business loan. Banks do them.

A few cafes do very well and expand into several branches and outside catering. Many many more go bust within a year.
    • sjbrun
    • By sjbrun 7th Feb 18, 6:39 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    sjbrun
    Remortgaging your house is the easiest way to raise finance for a new business but it isn!!!8217;t recommended as you could loose your house if the business fails.
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 7th Feb 18, 6:40 PM
    • 1,624 Posts
    • 3,322 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey

No you weren't!

Your posts are full of references to 'claiming benefits'. You even refer to Income Based and Contributions Based benefits.
    I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure
    • sweetpeas
    • By sweetpeas 7th Feb 18, 6:44 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 8,960 Thanks
    sweetpeas
    No you weren't!

Your posts are full of references to 'claiming benefits'. You even refer to Income Based and Contributions Based benefits.
    Originally posted by Cheeky_Monkey
    Also make more than one reference to having no idea what i'm on about and over my head as i've always worked and paid into the system myself. So please don't come on and call me a liar when I'm trying to work out if i can keep myself in employment and earning by using money which i've earned through 12 years with my current job.
    • sweetpeas
    • By sweetpeas 7th Feb 18, 6:49 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 8,960 Thanks
    sweetpeas
    I've come on for a bit of advice whilst I'm facing a sticky spot trying to work out if I can invest redundancy sensibly and if I can any help but appears I've landed called something the wrong thing despite saying I'm clueless and over my head which has got backs up.

I'll say again - we've both always worked so no idea if and what is available, what it is called, what it would cover, what the terms are etc. Just came on looking for advice on options.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 7th Feb 18, 7:14 PM
    • 5,108 Posts
    • 6,367 Thanks
    theoretica
    OP, I think a useful search term might be child tax credits.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 7th Feb 18, 7:22 PM
    • 4,552 Posts
    • 7,618 Thanks
    sangie595
    Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice please as I've never claimed benefits in my life and after a hunt around online I'm struggling for information.

I've seen stuff about income based, contribution based... have no idea what any of it is on about and am generally over my head with this sort of thing.

Any advice appreciated.

TIA, Sweetpeas x
    No. You were very clear. Since it hasn't been quoted so far, I've done it before it disappears. You specifically said that you were looking for benefits because you'd never claimed them before. Benefits are not a reward.

You have 60k income income yet, it would seem, nothing in the way of savings. No business plan. And very little chance of making the money that that toy have coming in now.

What exactly is unreasonable about people pointing out that this is ill- conceived, or that benefits are not intended to support your life choices?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 7th Feb 18, 7:54 PM
    • 31,432 Posts
    • 19,843 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Have you 2 any idea of running a business, how a cafe works ?

Would you 2 be the only ones working there or would you employ staff ?
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,412Posts Today

6,310Users online

Martin's Twitter