Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Niv
    • By Niv 7th Feb 18, 2:50 PM
    • 1,609Posts
    • 1,387Thanks
    Niv
    Stripping internal doors / frames
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:50 PM
    Stripping internal doors / frames 7th Feb 18 at 2:50 PM
    The doors are generally old so I do not want to replace them but currently they are painted with faded gloss (yuk). I want to restore them back to wood then wax them.

I do have a heat gun already, but was not sure if this would be too time consuming?

Any ideas on best / least messy methods for this?
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
Page 1
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 7th Feb 18, 4:23 PM
    • 4,127 Posts
    • 3,569 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:23 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:23 PM
    It depends on what your priorities are. The easiest solution is to remove the doors and send them away to be dipped. Very little hassle and zero mess for you - but at a cost, obviously. You'd probably still need to deal with the frames yourself, though.

Other than that, a heat gun or Nitromors. Both are a cheaper option, but both will require a fair bit of work, and will create a fair amount of mess.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 7th Feb 18, 4:24 PM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 7,359 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:24 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:24 PM
    Get them dipped, cost me about 30 per door.
    Does dim arian 'da fi, ond breuddwydion 'da fi.

Gwlad yr Ia & Columbia (no Welsh word for Columbia)
    • elver man
    • By elver man 7th Feb 18, 4:26 PM
    • 20,651 Posts
    • 3,672,379 Thanks
    elver man
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:26 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:26 PM
    When using a heat gun you have to be careful that you do not burn / scorch the surface of the wood. If you are intending to strip the doors and wax then I personally would avoid this method and go for a chemical stripper.

And then, a lot can depend on what type of wood the doors are manufactured from as different strippers have different effects on different wood.

Caustic removers are the best for heavy build ups but have a few pitfalls such as the possibility of marking the surface of the wood especially on hard woods.

Solvent removers may need several applications as they are not quite as good at removing heavy paint build up in one application. They also give off a lot more fumes.
    However they are better if you are intending to have a natural finish and not repaint the door.

Either way, be prepared for a lot of work, and plenty of H&S

You may also have a company in your locality that will be able to strip the doors for you by submersing the doors in a tank. However its not unknown for the chemicals to react with certain glues, again a lot will depend on the age, type of wood etc of the door but to be honest its more a problem with old furniture than doors. It will also depend on the type of paint, water based or cellulose are very difficult to remove by dipping but the company would be better to advise.
    Thoughts:

The surest sign that there is intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't contacted us yet
    Life's most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?
    Life's most urgent question is: What are you doing for others - Martin Luther King jr
    • Niv
    • By Niv 8th Feb 18, 11:01 PM
    • 1,609 Posts
    • 1,387 Thanks
    Niv
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:01 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:01 PM
    Thanks guys. I think I will look for a company to strip the doors then have a go at the frames with a chemical stripper.
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 8th Feb 18, 11:15 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 4,369 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:15 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:15 PM
    Don't use a chemical stripper if you are fond of the carpet/wallpaper that butts against the door frame. It goes everywhere.

I've always found a heat gun is best for gloss paint - just start slowly, on the lowest heat, and keep it moving. You'll get the hang of it. It's very satisfying.
    • J B
    • By J B 9th Feb 18, 9:29 AM
    • 2,806 Posts
    • 998 Thanks
    J B
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:29 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:29 AM
    Thanks guys. I think I will look for a company to strip the doors then have a go at the frames with a chemical stripper.
    Originally posted by Niv
    We used Strippex in Crewe - don't know if that's near you??
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

222Posts Today

2,010Users online

Martin's Twitter