Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • samba987
    • By samba987 7th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 2Thanks
    samba987
    Failed driving test as sat nav speed incorrect.
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    Failed driving test as sat nav speed incorrect. 7th Feb 18 at 2:49 PM
    Hi, So I failed my 1st driving test yesterday, only because of 1 serious fault (speed).

Just before a national speed limit it was 30mph zone. When I was about 150 yards from the change of speed I checked my mirrors, as I did so the car went to 31mph as it went slightly downhill at that time.

The examiner without looking at the speedometer (can only see 70MPH+ from the passenger seat) told me I was speeding. When I looked at the sat nav the speed reading on that was 4 mph faster then the car says (so 35mph instead of 31MPH).

When we got back to the test centre she said I was speeding failed me, and went without being able ask any questions she went as as they were behind on the tests.

My driving instructor plugged her sat nav in (the exact same as the examiners use) and hers was 4 MPH slower then the cars speedometer. So between the 2 satnavs there is a 8MPH difference.

Has anyone else come across this before?

Is it right that examiners only use sat nav speedometer readings now?

If so Does that mean I should use the sat nav speed reading from now one?
Page 2
    • building with lego
    • By building with lego 9th Feb 18, 7:45 PM
    • 2,313 Posts
    • 5,710 Thanks
    building with lego
    Following satnav instructions is a part of the test now - and has been since December.

Depressing, isn't it?
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    I took my test a couple of years ago, as they were trialling the introduction of the satnav part of the test.

At the end of my last lesson pre-test, my instructor set up his satnav so that I could follow it home. I put in my address, the map home came up showing a large red arrow turning left, and the voice said, "At the end of the road, turn right."

I'm sure it's for the best. Might explain a lot of the driving I've witnessed since passing, anyway!
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm.
    • vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 10th Feb 18, 11:11 AM
    • 10,385 Posts
    • 13,084 Thanks
    vikingaero
    If the sat nav shows you were travelling 4mph faster than the speedo then you were speeding. Generally at constant speeds the sat nav is more accurate than the speedo. If the sat nav say 34mph then your speedo must have shown 36-37mph.

As an example, get someone to drive the car at a speedo constant 60mph on a straight flattish dual carriageway. Your sat nav will probably show a truer speed of 56-58mph.
    The man without a signature.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

95Posts Today

1,491Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: Third time lucky? After being delayed twice, tomorrow MPs are due to debate our #RecoverySpace proposals in parliament. @helen_u?

• Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Follow Martin