Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zak2012
    • By zak2012 7th Feb 18, 2:32 PM
    • 314Posts
    • 16Thanks
    zak2012
    help please
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:32 PM
    help please 7th Feb 18 at 2:32 PM
    Hi, please can you help, i need travel from Birmingham to london next week and i cheaked few webistes but mostly charge around 100s, is it possible to get return same day for around 40? i want go after 9am and be return around 4.

i have looked at thetrainline and its big rip off,,and virgintrain website gave cheaper from birmingham to Euston, but,i need go victoria? so whats option? should i go euston then use underground to victoria?how far is it from each other??is that cheaper?
    im not familier with london
    i be greatfull if someone tell me how to get this cheap?thanks
Page 1
    • stragglebod
    • By stragglebod 7th Feb 18, 3:00 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    stragglebod
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:00 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:00 PM
    What day do you want to go?

On Monday I can find an advance single Birmingham to Euston for 15 at 9:14 and a return at 16:50 for 20.

If you're finding fares via Victoria you're doing something seriously wrong.

Or an off peak return using West Midlands Trains only (not valid on Virgin) is 29.00. You can't arrive at Euston before 10.00 weekdays.
    Last edited by stragglebod; 07-02-2018 at 3:46 PM.
    • lammy82
    • By lammy82 7th Feb 18, 4:16 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    lammy82
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:16 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:16 PM
    The train fares are the same, whichever site you use. Some sites charge additional booking fees, though.

You will get cheapest fares by being prepared to commit to a specific train in each direction (advance fare tickets).

If you need to get to Victoria station then yes you should use the Victoria line on the tube from Euston. You should use a contactless debit/credit card (or an Oyster card) for the tube which will be 2.40 each way. It's 4 stops, probably takes about 20 mins or so including the waiting and escalators.

When you say you want to "be return around 4" I don't know if you mean setting off at 4 or being back in Birmingham by 4.

Using https://www.buytickets.londonnorthwesternrailway.co.uk I can see you could go on Thursday, setting off at 0914, arriving Euston at 1127, then returning from Euston at 1549, getting into Birmingham at 1801, for a grand sum of 31. The West Midlands/London Northwestern trains are generally cheaper than Virgin services, but slower (approx 2 hours 15 mins instead of 1 hour 25 mins with Virgin).

Hope this helps
    • lammy82
    • By lammy82 7th Feb 18, 4:18 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    lammy82
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:18 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:18 PM
    PS. You CAN search for journeys to Victoria and the ticket will then be valid on the tube from Euston to Victora BUT the cheapest West Midlands/London Northwestern fares won't come up if you do that.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 7th Feb 18, 4:23 PM
    • 1,831 Posts
    • 6,740 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:23 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:23 PM
    Birmingham to London Victoria on the Megabus return is 11.90 inc booking fees.

Leave Birmingham at 09:50 arrive London Victoria at 13:10
    Leave London Victoria at 17:00 arrive Birmingham 20:15
    Hiraeth
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 7th Feb 18, 5:00 PM
    • 19,897 Posts
    • 15,606 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:00 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:00 PM
    The cheapest fares will probably be on Chiltern trains from Moor Street to Marylebone, but they are also the slowest. Next cheapest are West Midland Trains from New Street to Euston, with Virgin on the same route generally the most expensive, although on some trains you can get decent fares, and they are usually the quickest. However, it's probably too late to get the best fares if you're travelling next week.

While we don't recommend Trainline because of its booking fee it's hard to say that it's a big rip off as it will have the same fares as any other seller.

Any train route going from Birmingham to Victoria without a cross London journey of some sort is going to be very roundabout, involving at least 1 change, but possibly more.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 7th Feb 18, 5:13 PM
    • 6,434 Posts
    • 8,323 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:13 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:13 PM
    If you need to be *in* London for 9 then the tickets are likely to be more expensive as they will be peak time rather than off peak.
    Similarly if you leave at or shortly after 4 that may be back into the more expensive times but leaving earlier, or waiting until later, will bring the price down again.
    You can get advance tickets frto Euston for 19 (leaving at 8.54 from New Street) or to Marylebone (one change, slower train) for 12. You can get a return (from Marylebone) at 4.21 for 35, but if you leave earlier you can get it down as low as 9, or if you are willing to leave a bit later, around 5.40, you can get a ticket for 25.50, so well within your 40 budget.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/BHM/London/140218/0915/arr/140218/1615/dep

TFL's journey planner van help you work you which tubes to take https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/ - paper tube maps are also available at most stations. Getting to Victoria from either Marylebone or Euston is pretty striaghtforward.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 7th Feb 18, 5:17 PM
    • 16,170 Posts
    • 40,869 Thanks
    elsien
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:17 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:17 PM
    Alternatively if you don't mind longer journeys and setting off a bit earlier you could look at National express which takes you straight to Victoria Coach station. Takes about 3 hours give or take and depending on traffic. Tickets under a tenner each way.
    Last edited by elsien; 07-02-2018 at 5:20 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • elverson
    • By elverson 8th Feb 18, 1:42 PM
    • 778 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    elverson
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:42 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:42 PM
    You could also use Chiltern Railways from Birmingham Moor Street to London Marylebone then tube to Victoria.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Feb 18, 6:29 PM
    • 19,897 Posts
    • 15,606 Thanks
    agrinnall
    You could also use Chiltern Railways from Birmingham Moor Street to London Marylebone then tube to Victoria.
    Originally posted by elverson

As I said in post #6 .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,135Posts Today

7,242Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin