Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pompey254
    • By Pompey254 7th Feb 18, 1:48 PM
    • 135Posts
    • 42Thanks
    Pompey254
    Ppi on deceased relatives
    • 7th Feb 18, 1:48 PM
    Ppi on deceased relatives 7th Feb 18 at 1:48 PM
    Good afternoon
    A family member has passed away and had many loans over the years, which I am pretty sure had PPI.

I saw via martin lewis on TV that you are able to claim back the PPI as long as your the beneficerary.

How do I go about this if I have no account information?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - Thank you
Page 1
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 7th Feb 18, 2:34 PM
    • 15,516 Posts
    • 22,150 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:34 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:34 PM
    Good afternoon
    A family member has passed away and had many loans over the years, which I am pretty sure had PPI.

I saw via martin lewis on TV that you are able to claim back the PPI as long as your the beneficerary.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - Thank you
    Originally posted by Pompey254
    Who is dealing with the estate?

You need to at least identify the lenders.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 7th Feb 18, 3:41 PM
    • 92,221 Posts
    • 59,391 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:41 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:41 PM
    Not quite. The executor of the estate has the legal right. If you happen to be both then fair enough.

Remember that you are making a complaint about wrongdoing. You cant make allegations of what may or may not have been said as you were not there. You have to stick to factual/evidence based wrongdoing. Such as not being eligible.

So, what is the reason for complaint?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Pompey254
    • By Pompey254 9th Feb 18, 1:14 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Pompey254
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:14 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:14 PM
    I am Executor of his estate and he had mentioned that he had some loans over the years but when it came to the PPI, he was not advised as to how it worked and the box was just ticked.

Over the years he has shredded paperwork, hence why I am trying to find out how I go about obtaining the infomation ( account details) to make a claim
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 9th Feb 18, 1:25 PM
    • 15,516 Posts
    • 22,150 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:25 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:25 PM
    I am Executor of his estate and he had mentioned that he had some loans over the years but when it came to the PPI, he was not advised as to how it worked and the box was just ticked.

Over the years he has shredded paperwork, hence why I am trying to find out how I go about obtaining the infomation ( account details) to make a claim
    You don't make a claim, you make a complaint that the PPI was mis-sold. Which is harder now that the relative is dead. As in, you can't state that "he was not advised as to how it worked" as one of your complaint reasons because dead people can't testify.

Normally, where someone has no information, the suggestion is to get a copy of your credit report which will show the last six years worth of borrowing. However, I have no idea as to whether you can get a credit report for the deceased.
    • Pompey254
    • By Pompey254 9th Feb 18, 1:34 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Pompey254
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:34 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:34 PM
    Is this credit report via experian?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 9th Feb 18, 9:56 PM
    • 20,002 Posts
    • 10,986 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:56 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:56 PM
    Is this credit report via experian?
    You won't get a credit report for a deceased person from Experian.
    • sussexbhoy
    • By sussexbhoy 10th Feb 18, 12:11 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    sussexbhoy
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:11 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:11 AM
    You won't get a credit report for a deceased person from Experian.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Yes you will the info is here
    http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/questions/askjames264.html
    Last edited by sussexbhoy; 10-02-2018 at 12:14 AM.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 10th Feb 18, 12:15 AM
    • 20,002 Posts
    • 10,986 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:15 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:15 AM
    Originally posted by sussexbhoy
    I stand corrected.

However, the OP should note that credit reports only cover the last six years and so historical finance won't be included.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 10th Feb 18, 12:53 AM
    • 92,221 Posts
    • 59,391 Thanks
    dunstonh
    That is an unprovable allegation. You cannot make false representations. you were not present at the point of sale. Stick to the factual reasons for making a complaint. Was he eligible? Did he have poor health?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,846Posts Today

7,871Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I hate customer service lines that ALWAYS say, every time you ring (at any time in the day)... "sorry we are experi? https://t.co/GGCGM0WNai

• After the news I'm suing facebook over scam ads, people keep sending me ads with my pic in asking, ?is THIS ad with? https://t.co/lhTmijgnWt

• So Facebook just waxed lyrical about all the things they're doing to stop fake ads. Whoop de whoop. Yet THESE SCA? https://t.co/hP4q6kRuuQ

• Follow Martin