Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • butch1961
    • By butch1961 7th Feb 18, 1:11 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    butch1961
    Economy Energy
    • 7th Feb 18, 1:11 PM
    Economy Energy 7th Feb 18 at 1:11 PM
    My first post; so apologies if it is in the wrong place.

I took a new fixed contract with Economy Energy for my gas and electricity.

This month, they have increased my monthly direct debit, without any reference to me. They cite that because of the recent poor weather they have increased my monthly direct debit.

Unless, I am mistaken, I believe that Martin has stated that if this happens you have 30 days to find a new supplier.

Is this correct?

Many thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 7th Feb 18, 2:29 PM
    • 10,444 Posts
    • 4,392 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:29 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:29 PM
    Your DD has increased to keep your payments in line with usage .As opposed to getting a large bill at the end of term .

Fixed contract means the prices are fixed not the total bill as that depends upon individual usage .

Cannot see it being correct that paying what you owe entitles you to leave a contract .
    Of course if no exit fees you can leave .But any supplier you move to is going to charge for what you actually use .
    • SpotlandRules
    • By SpotlandRules 7th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    SpotlandRules
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    EE are one of the companies who are increasing their customers' direct debits, due to the cold winter we are in.

Non of the smaller companies will allow your account to go into debit, either actually or forecast. It is always better to keep a track of your account, to see how your direct debit is covering your usage. If you use more, your direct debit will increase.

However, if they do change your direct debit, as per terms of their ability to use the direct debit procedure, they have to give you 30 days notice of any change of payment.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,167Posts Today

7,336Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin