Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • DudeBear
    • By DudeBear 7th Feb 18, 12:52 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Savings for my child without ex getting it
    • #1
    • 7th Feb 18, 12:52 PM
    Savings for my child without ex getting it 7th Feb 18 at 12:52 PM

    Excuse the long story - my ex and I have separated and he has since opened a Junior ISA for our son.

    I have my son's savings in my name, incase I die; the money becomes part of my estate.

    Is there a way of having my son's savings in his name but a way they are safe should I die.

    Basically my ex would spend the money and I want it to be put away for our son's future.

    If I die before my son is 21 I have an automatic Trust Fund for my estate which my ex can access with agreement of two of my family members (for a specific reasons, college, uni etc).

    Is there a way of having savings in my son's name that do not default to my ex should I pass and my son be under 18.

    Having asked around the high street banks they said to keep the savings in my name.

    Any help, questions etc welcome.

    Thank you
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 7th Feb 18, 1:50 PM
    • 6,794 Posts
    • 7,047 Thanks
    • #2
    • 7th Feb 18, 1:50 PM
    • #2
    • 7th Feb 18, 1:50 PM
    If you're planning for the scenario where you die before he's 18 then you're presumably looking at another trust arrangement but with different trustees? Is the amount too high to be paid in to the junior ISA (which ex wouldn't be able to withdraw anything from)?
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 7th Feb 18, 2:45 PM
    • 1,574 Posts
    • 1,297 Thanks
    • #3
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:45 PM
    • #3
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:45 PM
    The JISA that your ex has opened is a safe place to put the money as he cannot get at it: the money is your son's and cannot be withdrawn until he is 18.

    If you still don't want to pay into that then you'll need to explore trust options.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,757Posts Today

8,292Users online

Martin's Twitter