Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Harrygolucky
    • By Harrygolucky 7th Feb 18, 12:39 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Harrygolucky
    Potential insurance write off - old car
    • 7th Feb 18, 12:39 PM
    Potential insurance write off - old car 7th Feb 18 at 12:39 PM
    Hi everyone

we recently had our neighbour reverse into our trusted old Toyota Avensis estate - it's a 2003 plate and solid as a rock and has been a great servant over the years. It's now in the hands of the insurers - our vehicle was parked outside the house at the time and it's a clear case that the neighbour was at fault.

My big concern is that the damage is going to cost considerably more to repair than the value of the vehicle and I am expecting the insurers to come back with a paltry sum and want to write it off. Book value is around £500 and I expect the repair bill to be at least 4 figures. It's all cosmetic (dents and scratches) but it looks a real mess

Just wondering what my options are if this happens? - we recently spent £600 on a full service, MOT and exhaust so I'll be fuming if they won't repair it.

If an insurer wants to write something off then the sum should at least allow us to replace it with something similar in decent condition (which would be very unlikely because of it's age) If a third party has caused 'X' amount of damage to a vehicle then it should be covered regardless of book value.

I guess I'm jumping the gun a bit but it would be nice to have a bit of a plan when the insurers call

thanks in advance

steve
Page 1
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 7th Feb 18, 1:27 PM
    • 806 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    • 7th Feb 18, 1:27 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 1:27 PM
    They won't offer you more than the car is worth in its current condition, irrespective of what you've spent. If it's all cosmetic, ask them to let you keep the car and they give you the difference. It will probably mean £500 minus about £30. You get the difference to spend on what you want.
    • ratrace
    • By ratrace 7th Feb 18, 1:45 PM
    • 543 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    ratrace
    • 7th Feb 18, 1:45 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 1:45 PM
    No unfortunately they dont take what you have spent on it into consideration even if you put a new engine init at say £1500 they will pay book value

you could buy they car back off them for cheap as chips and then repair it your self if you really want the car im sure used bumpers and bit wont cost all that much, i know its a crap situation to be in as this was not your fault but in real life these things happen

it happend to us as our next doors son drove in to my old car but what can you do no one was hurt thats the main thing
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 7th Feb 18, 1:57 PM
    • 1,661 Posts
    • 2,150 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 7th Feb 18, 1:57 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 1:57 PM
    Had a similar situation years ago with a similar Toyota workhorse. A man drove into the back of me and badly dented the bumper and the hatchback. It was a Carina with a huge hatchback which would have cost more to replace than the value of the car so it was written off. I got the book value minus scrap value and bought it back, giving me something like £1100 of which I spent about £250 getting a bumper from the scrapyard, straightening out the hatchback, isolating the sensor so the car wasn!!!8217;t permanently registering the boot open and getting a new MOT from a government test centre. Net result was a perfectly good car that ran for five more years until I scrapped it and cash in the bank.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 7th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:07 PM

My big concern is that the damage is going to cost considerably more to repair than the value of the vehicle and I am expecting the insurers to come back with a paltry sum and want to write it off. Book value is around £500 and I expect the repair bill to be at least 4 figures. It's all cosmetic (dents and scratches) but it looks a real mess

Just wondering what my options are if this happens? - we recently spent £600 on a full service, MOT and exhaust so I'll be fuming if they won't repair it.

If an insurer wants to write something off then the sum should at least allow us to replace it with something similar in decent condition (which would be very unlikely because of it's age) If a third party has caused 'X' amount of damage to a vehicle then it should be covered regardless of book value.
    Originally posted by Harrygolucky
    The insurer's position will be this:

You are entitled to be put back in the same position as you were before the accident. Unfortunately, that means back to driving a £500 car.

All cars need servicing, and replacement of wearing parts like exhausts, and MOTs after 3 years. The £600 you spent did not add to the car's value, merely maintained it.
    • Harrygolucky
    • By Harrygolucky 7th Feb 18, 2:16 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Harrygolucky
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:16 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:16 PM
    "The insurer's position will be this:

You are entitled to be put back in the same position as you were before the accident"

that's exactly my point and I totally agree.
    However, theres a good chance they won't put up the money in order to do that
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 7th Feb 18, 2:33 PM
    • 1,661 Posts
    • 2,150 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:33 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:33 PM
    If they don!!!8217;t provide the book value, you can negotiate by providing evidence of the car!!!8217;s worth, but as others have said, maintenance costs and replacment of consumable items like exhausts, brake pads, etc don!!!8217;t add to the book value. They were your costs to replace items you wore out. Without you having spent £600 recently, the car wouldn!!!8217;t have been worth £500 because presumably it wouldn!!!8217;t have passed the MOT.
    • Harrygolucky
    • By Harrygolucky 7th Feb 18, 4:00 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Harrygolucky
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:00 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:00 PM
    thanks for the responses,

the way I see it (and in all cases similar) if the claim is against a 3rd party the insurer must either:

a) restore the car to the condition it was in before the accident
    or
    b) offer a realistic compensation amount that allows you to buy a similar vehicle (type, condition, age)

I guess I'll have to wait and see
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 7th Feb 18, 4:24 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:24 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:24 PM
    thanks for the responses,

the way I see it (and in all cases similar) if the claim is against a 3rd party the insurer must either:

a) restore the car to the condition it was in before the accident
    or
    b) offer a realistic compensation amount that allows you to buy a similar vehicle (type, condition, age)
    Originally posted by Harrygolucky
    You're right, but the "realistic compensation amount" will usually be the valuation shown in the trade guides (Glass's etc.). This is in line with the Ombudsman's guidelines.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 7th Feb 18, 5:04 PM
    • 523 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    I don't think the insurer is obliged to sell you the scrap so you might not get your car back at any price. Neighbour near me had to drop the claim entirely to avoid losing the car and no repairs were done.

Your other option might be to get a quote for repairs yourself and sue your neighbour for that amount. They will presumably pass it on to the insurers who, so long as it is not extortionate, will probably pay up rather than battle in court about its book value.
    • Muscle750
    • By Muscle750 7th Feb 18, 6:16 PM
    • 977 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    Muscle750
    Do not take the first figure they offer you either
    • facade
    • By facade 7th Feb 18, 6:46 PM
    • 3,094 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    facade

Your other option might be to get a quote for repairs yourself and sue your neighbour for that amount. They will presumably pass it on to the insurers who, so long as it is not extortionate, will probably pay up rather than battle in court about its book value.
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    Don't you still have a duty to mitigate your losses?

Trying to claim for £2000 of repair work on a car worth £500 is not mitigating your losses..
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Harrygolucky
    • By Harrygolucky 7th Feb 18, 7:06 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Harrygolucky
    like I said I'll wait and see what they come back with before I start worrying too much but surely I am entitled to fair compensation if it is deemed too expensive to repair

this whole 'book' price is a complete scam when it comes to old cars - most like for like vehicles of that age are long gone by now so consequently a replacement is going to cost more than the 'book' price of mine. I don't get any discount for insuring an 'old' car so I should receive the same service as anyone else. As I said at the beginning - if another party has caused 'X' amount of damage to someone else's vehicle and it is repairable it should be covered regardless of age.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 7th Feb 18, 7:16 PM
    • 16,162 Posts
    • 40,847 Thanks
    elsien
    Do not take the first figure they offer you either
    Originally posted by Muscle750
    How would you argue it up, though? My insurer made it very clear that they would not be accepting any comparatives from Autotrader, ebay or any other similar sites.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 7th Feb 18, 8:41 PM
    • 523 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    How would you argue it up, though? My insurer made it very clear that they would not be accepting any comparatives from Autotrader, ebay or any other similar sites.
    Originally posted by elsien
    Argue that you need to buy an equivalent car and if they won't accept 'Autotrader, ebay or any other similar sites' then ask them where they suggest you buy a replacement car from to the same standard for what they are offering? No use offering you trade price is it; can't buy one for that.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 7th Feb 18, 10:29 PM
    • 3,053 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    Ectophile
    Ultimately, you can argue it up by telling them that if they don't make a sensible offer, you will have to sue them for the damage instead.

You could then present to the judge a series of adverts for similar cars.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 7th Feb 18, 10:32 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    Car 54
    Argue that you need to buy an equivalent car and if they won't accept 'Autotrader, ebay or any other similar sites' then ask them where they suggest you buy a replacement car from to the same standard for what they are offering? No use offering you trade price is it; can't buy one for that.
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    They should be offering retail price, not trade.

But as the Ombudsman's guidelines point out, prices on Autotrader etc are asking prices, not reality.
    • facade
    • By facade 8th Feb 18, 5:11 AM
    • 3,094 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    facade
    They should be offering retail price, not trade.

But as the Ombudsman's guidelines point out, prices on Autotrader etc are asking prices, not reality.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    This is true, but as more and more people are finding out, dealers won't shift on their prices that they put on autotrader.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 8th Feb 18, 8:38 AM
    • 1,434 Posts
    • 3,832 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    Is the car still in your possession? Hopefully it is. Neighbours hit our car on the lane and I bought it back for 9% of the value.

If it has been taken somewhere else you might struggle unless you can collect it.
    • snnl
    • By snnl 8th Feb 18, 9:22 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    snnl
    As the saying goes, if you dont ask, you dont get! I would also ask if they give you a low offer.

When our Ford Focus was written off, they came back with an offer of £2500. I simply said it had just had a fresh MOT, Service and it was in fact a top end model and would now be priced at the top end of Autotrader or on any dealers forecourt. They lady was happy to go back and ask the valuer and she came back with a new offer of £2800 which was accepted.

It obviously didn't pay for the work we just had and was a little lower than a private sale had the car been sold not written off but it was settled and money in our account next day. Went out and bought a new car the next day (which was a lot less stressful then getting it back from insurers and repairing etc).

It may be a trusted car and served you well but there are so many out there you can replace it with id save yourself the hassel.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

906Posts Today

6,100Users online

Martin's Twitter