Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sue33
    • By sue33 7th Feb 18, 12:01 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    sue33
    Housing Association abusing rent
    • 7th Feb 18, 12:01 PM
    Housing Association abusing rent 7th Feb 18 at 12:01 PM
    Hello

I have been at a property to over 6 years and one has one problem whereby they had overcharged me and could not explain but still charged me . I always make sure I pay my rent on time . In recent months I have requested that statements be sent to Me . Before Christmas I was advised there was non -collection weeks on the 18th and the 25th. I statement was sent to Me -which paid . Just recently I recieved a lettet to say that I owe them 100. I was astonished about this and raised a complaint which feel on deaf ears. I contacted the housing ombudsman who said they do not deal with rent disputes and I need to contact the Fier tribunal . I feel that housing associations are abusing tenants that are working . I do not earn much and constantly frustrated they can do this and get away with it. Can anyone advise . I am in the Greater Manchester area . I don't want to bother to contact the CAB simply because they will do nothing than to fig me a print out of what is on the internet
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 7th Feb 18, 12:23 PM
    • 43,804 Posts
    • 51,779 Thanks
    G_M
    • 7th Feb 18, 12:23 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 12:23 PM
    Do you know how to produce a spreadsheet? If so, create columns showing:

* date each rent payment becomes due
    * amount due on that date
    * date you actually made payment
    * aamount of payment made
    * balance (ie arrears if any)

fill in the columns going back as far as you can/as far as needed (ie earlier than when the issue arose)

this will help you understand if you actually owe rent.

Then you can send it to the landlord to show what rent you think you owe, if any, and ask the LL toconfirm that it is accurate, or to identtify any inaccuracies they believe you have made.
    • sue33
    • By sue33 7th Feb 18, 12:30 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sue33
    • 7th Feb 18, 12:30 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 12:30 PM
    Hello GM

Like I said they send me a statement with a payment schedule. I had created a spreadsheet and when I challenge it with them ,they still advise I am still owing . They made a mistake before and admitted to it but I still ended up having to pay . They take advantage because housing ombudsman failed to intervene
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 7th Feb 18, 12:36 PM
    • 2,312 Posts
    • 2,251 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 7th Feb 18, 12:36 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 12:36 PM
    How do you pay? Cash? Cheque? Bank Transfer? Or what?
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • sue33
    • By sue33 7th Feb 18, 1:39 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sue33
    • 7th Feb 18, 1:39 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 1:39 PM
    Hello Alter Ego

I pay via credit card through the Post Office . I want to know if their are any authority bodies that can look into and investigate their unscruptous handlings of honest rent payers being exploited
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 7th Feb 18, 2:17 PM
    • 6,434 Posts
    • 8,323 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:17 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:17 PM
    I think you would first have to establish if, and how, you are being exploited.
    How do they say the payment arose?
    i.e.
    Do they say that you made a payment late and incurred fees?
    Has the rent increased?

It sounds as though the ombudsman has pointed you in the right direction - have you followed their advice and contacted the tribunal?

In the mean time, if you can explain exactly what it is they are charging you for, and why you think it is incorrect, we may be able to help.

I'd also suggest that you do try the CAB. While they are a not legally trained, they may well have local knowledge about whether this is a common issue with tenants of your HA, or indeed whether it is a common misunderstanding and the charge is correct, if poorly explained / unclear.
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 7th Feb 18, 2:22 PM
    • 2,312 Posts
    • 2,251 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:22 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:22 PM
    Hello Alter Ego

I pay via credit card through the Post Office . I want to know if their are any authority bodies that can look into and investigate their unscruptous handlings of honest rent payers being exploited
    Originally posted by sue33
    Surely then your CC statements will show the amounts paid?
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 7th Feb 18, 2:29 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:29 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:29 PM
    Hello Alter Ego

no-one is being exploited
    • sue33
    • By sue33 7th Feb 18, 2:36 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sue33
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:36 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:36 PM
    That . The questions you have asked has been addressed in my post . I have also mentioned that I feel that CAB will be a waste of time given my experience with them in that passed

They have been alter EGo and like I said I am always up to scratch with my rent

Can anyone advise a authorituve body I can contact that monitor their practises
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 7th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    Comms69
    That . The questions you have asked has been addressed in my post . I have also mentioned that I feel that CAB will be a waste of time given my experience with them in that passed

They have been alter EGo and like I said I am always up to scratch with my rent

Can anyone advise a authorituve body I can contact that monitor their practises
    What for?! Have you considered they've made a mistake? Why does this bother you?? No-one is taking you to court.

it's no different to me saying: "Sue33 you owe me 500!)
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 7th Feb 18, 3:13 PM
    • 1,489 Posts
    • 3,142 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    No one can help you when your posts tell us nothing (other than your claims of abuse of working tenants). Please answer the following, minus any ramble:

* Where do they claim the arrears have arisen, which dates have you missed or made short payments?
    * What evidence do you have that you made said payments, and what do the HA say in response to your evidence?
    • pimento
    • By pimento 7th Feb 18, 3:25 PM
    • 5,343 Posts
    • 6,984 Thanks
    pimento
    Are you saying that the two weeks in December should have been free and they've charged you?
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 7th Feb 18, 5:18 PM
    • 4,145 Posts
    • 5,794 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    When do you pay rent? Weekly? Every 4 weeks or monthly?
    • hammy1988
    • By hammy1988 7th Feb 18, 6:05 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    hammy1988
    Housing associations always like the rent paid in ARREARS. My mum can one month pay her rent by debit card on the 3rd of the next month when the rent was due on 28th of the previous month...and bam always receives a warning letter about unpaid rent. Similar can happen if you pay every four weeks but some weeks are four and a half so that all tallies up.

It always helps yourself to be in front of the rent. Red moments of owing rent to a housing association never look good if you want to move into private accommodation, or move within the association itself.

HA always have people you can go and see to help with your rent and circumstances, might be worth giving them a call and sitting down and looking at the figures to see where the money is owed from?
    • sue33
    • By sue33 7th Feb 18, 6:15 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sue33
    Pilmento , it seems this way because like I said the statement shows what I owe and that I what I pay. I don't earn enough for them to keep whipping out a figure silly nilly. This is why I request statements so that I am not left surprise. 100 is a lot of money . To me, with travel costs high as it is per week . Like I said the association made a mistake on my account before and never took responsibility for it and I was having to pay
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 7th Feb 18, 8:55 PM
    • 5,289 Posts
    • 7,420 Thanks
    deannatrois
    If they are saying you get rent free weeks ask what your actual weekly rental is and check this against what has actually been paid, just in case there has been a misunderstanding or miscalculation somewhere. It could be a rounding off error. So easy for miscommunication to happen.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 7th Feb 18, 9:09 PM
    • 43,804 Posts
    • 51,779 Thanks
    G_M
    Hello GM

Like I said they send me a statement with a payment schedule. I had created a spreadsheet and when I challenge it with them ,they still advise I am still owing . They made a mistake before and admitted to it but I still ended up having to pay . They take advantage because housing ombudsman failed to intervene
    1)if they made a mistake before and admitted it, why did you end up having to pay? Makes no sense.

2) so you have a spredsheet ofyour payments. And they have sent you a payment schedule. So you can identify exactly where they claim the debt, or arears, came from. The difference between your records and theirs. Is it

* a payment you believe you made but they claim they never received?
    * a rent increase you believe was not legally justified?
    * or what?

Writethem a letter, identifying the problem, and enclosing your evidence of payment to show they are wrong.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 7th Feb 18, 9:32 PM
    • 6,851 Posts
    • 5,598 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    As above, prove them wrong about your current rent position or get them to explain why your payments do not cover your rent.
    HAs will have people who will sit down and discuss this with you.

Which Housing Association are you with?
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Ci bach
    • By Ci bach 8th Feb 18, 12:02 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Ci bach
    Ok. Deep breath. Don't panic.

Remember a rent statement will only show the rent account at the point the statement was printed. It could be that the payment that you had made had not yet 'hit' the account.

Does the rent week start on a Monday? If payments are made later in the week, they may not reach the rent account until the next Monday has passed, by which time another weeks rent will be added to the account and so the rent account will show arrears. A way to avoid this is by making additional payments of a pound or two each week so that overtime the account will not show arrears before the next rent payment is received to your rent account

Do you pay weekly or calendar monthly? Some months will have 4 Mondays and others will have 5. So if a 4 weekly payment is made in a 5 weekly month, arrears will accrue.

Paying rent on a credit card is not a good idea. You will incur charges from your bank if you don't clear the credit card balance in full each month.

Can you view your rent account on line?
    Can you make your rent payments on line via a debit card?
    How about setting up a Direct Debit or Standing Order? A lot of housing organisations will accept these methods for weekly, 4 weekly or calendar monthly payments. You should be able to obtain the housing organisations bank details from your Housing Officer

For calendar monthly payments, multiply weekly rent by 50 (rent weeks in the year) and then divide by 12 (months in the year).

You could also try going back on the rent account statement to the last time no arrears balance was showing and count up the number of Monday that have passed since then and compare with the amount of rent payments showing. You should be able to see if there are any shortfalls between the two.

Also, check your receipts / credit card statements against your rent statement to see if there are any rent payments not showing on your rent account.

Email your Housing Officer and ask for a meeting to discuss your concerns (and findings of the above). If this doesn't produce results, then mail your local councillor or MP and ask for an appointment and request his / her assistance in resolving the issue

You might also want to check your eligibility for Housing Benefit (and other benefit). You can do this by going to www.turn2us.org.uk. If it does appear that you are eligible for Housing Benefit , then you would make a claim either from your Local Authority or Job Centre depending on if you are in a UC area or not.

Good luck

HTH
    CB
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,024Posts Today

7,781Users online

Martin's Twitter