Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ali71
    • By Ali71 7th Feb 18, 11:15 AM
    • 27Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Ali71
    Sudden death no will-what now?
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:15 AM
    Sudden death no will-what now? 7th Feb 18 at 11:15 AM
    Hi,

Sadly, we found out last night via the police that my partner's brother had passed away suddenly ,although he had been ill for some time. He had not made a will, a bit of an in family joke, as he always said "you'll have to sort it out when I'm gone - ha ha". Partner asked him to make one, but he did not. Partner is the only sibling of the deceased. No other relatives. So according to the rules, he will inherit the house and any monies, which are likely to be small. House is very run down. The estate will be well below the IHT level.

Partner is in shock at the moment, but he is trying to be practical. Please, are the only forms we need to do the PA1 for probate and IHT form? Even though there will be nothing to pay?

Should this be fairly straightforward? Partner has said he will just get solicitor to do everything but I'm thinking it could be less costly to get basic paperwork together, i.e bank statements, utility bills, all the Tell Us Once bits, and then hand it over to the solicitor.

It's early days and we are still reeling a bit, but trying to work out what to do and in what order.

Obviously at the moment priority is getting the death certificate sorted out (hopefully) with the coroner's office. And then the funeral.

Thank you.
Page 2
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 13th Feb 18, 10:16 PM
    • 8,197 Posts
    • 9,087 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    the "family home". It is an absolute hovel. Literally I am in shock at how someone could live like that. I think it will have to be an auction job.
    Originally posted by Ali71
    Take heart, once it's been emptied (including the carpets) and the kitchen and bathroom (however dated they may be) given a good scrubbing, it will probably look much more marketable.

Remember the unoccupied house will need to be insured in the name of the Estate.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 13th Feb 18, 11:33 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    You haven't mentioned about the tax forms again, but in case you need it here is the number for HMRC (probate and inheritance dept) 0300 123 1072
    I've found them to be really helpful and kind, just flat out tell them everything and they'll keep you straight.
    • Ali71
    • By Ali71 14th Feb 18, 1:55 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Ali71
    Thank you so much everyone. I will certainly ring them once we get the death certificate. Maybe even before! Sounds gruesome but apparently there is a "back log" at the coroners.........could be a bit of a delay. Doesn't bear thinking about. Thanks.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 18th Feb 18, 2:09 AM
    • 38,615 Posts
    • 35,342 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Going back to the house, I'd strongly recommend a good house clearance and cleaning service. They will make a HUGE difference. You'll have to do a bit of work first, to make sure you identify anything which matters, but after that get out and leave it to the professionals.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,326Posts Today

7,851Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin