Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greenhouse28
    • By greenhouse28 7th Feb 18, 10:27 AM
    • 17Posts
    • 5Thanks
    greenhouse28
    Should I buy this Maisonette?
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:27 AM
    Should I buy this Maisonette? 7th Feb 18 at 10:27 AM
    Hi all,

I am having a bit of difficulty trying to decide whether to proceed with the purchase of this Maisonette. I have had a survey done which says there are signs of possible movement, the signs being a crack above the downstairs window, and the tree in the front garden. The Maisonette I'm buying is the upstairs one. Does anyone on here know the risks if I remove the tree and get the brickwork fixed, is this just going to "cover" the problem etc? The tree is a large willow tree about 5/6 meters away from the property. There is only one crack in the brickwork. Any advice would be very much appreciated! Thank you!
Page 3
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 22nd Feb 18, 10:50 AM
    • 7,670 Posts
    • 7,816 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Landlord and tenant can agree anything they like, so if tenant moves out earlier than yes the date can be brought forward.
    • pinklady21
    • By pinklady21 22nd Feb 18, 1:55 PM
    • 562 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    pinklady21
    Equally the tenant could choose to dig their heels in and refuse to leave by the end date. The landlord would than have to take court proceedings to take possession of the property.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 23rd Feb 18, 8:58 AM
    • 20,155 Posts
    • 15,879 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Landlord and tenant can agree anything they like, so if tenant moves out earlier than yes the date can be brought forward.
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    This is true, but only if the LL and tenant actually agree on an earlier date for mutual surrender, if the tenant simply moves out early then they still have full rights to use the property until the end of their tenancy.
    • greenhouse28
    • By greenhouse28 28th Feb 18, 11:36 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    greenhouse28
    We have another development, Estate Agents gave the tenant the wrong notice, so this one now expires on 30th April.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 28th Feb 18, 1:09 PM
    • 20,155 Posts
    • 15,879 Thanks
    agrinnall
    We have another development, Estate Agents gave the tenant the wrong notice, so this one now expires on 30th April.
    Originally posted by greenhouse28
    As I suggested might be the case in post #35. Hopefully it is now valid.
    • greenhouse28
    • By greenhouse28 28th Feb 18, 2:05 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    greenhouse28
    Oh no, they sent it to the wrong house, with the wrong address and person on the notice, some poor !!!!!! must have thought they were being evicted when they actually wasn't.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 28th Feb 18, 2:47 PM
    • 30,592 Posts
    • 57,831 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    There will always be people on MSE who advise against buying flats, or if someone is contemplating a semi, they will stress that detached is 'better.'

It's likely, that these people have had a bad time in accommodation with party walls/floors. They usually add they are speaking from experience, but they may forget that there are millions of people out there whose experiences in the same situations have been generally positive.

Because detached is more expensive, I was retired by the time I purchased a detached house. If I'd had a bad experience, it might have happened sooner, but I was happy with my neighbours in all the places I rented and bought over about 40 years.

Indeed, it was only when I bought the detached with some acres of 'buffer zone' around that I ran into my first neighbour conflict; now happily resolved.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    I was retired by the time we graduated to a semi! Lived for most of our married life in a terraced house (even the one in Spain was a terrace)

To the OP - Some people would just never buy a flat or maisonette, either due to privacy issues or they do not want a leasehold property. I would have a freehold if at all possible. However my son has a leasehold flat because that is all he could afford. Horses for courses.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 28th Feb 18, 2:52 PM
    • 25,059 Posts
    • 92,622 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Originally posted by greenhouse28
    As I suggested might be the case in post #35. Hopefully it is now valid.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    And I warned about too in posts 23 and 39.....

So far the tenant hasn't been difficult, or needed to be.

I'm impressed you can still feel sorry for the person who got the S21 by mistake.
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • greenhouse28
    • By greenhouse28 6th Mar 18, 11:23 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    greenhouse28
    Latest update, the tenant has been given the proper notice, expires 30th April, my solicitor has checked it and it's all proper and legal.
    Now, my solicitor is waiting on the final few replies from the vendors solicitor. The vendor has posted the replies to their solicitor, 3 times, but none of them have shown up, estate agent is saying that the vendor has a problem with their emails. I said to the estate agent that surely if this is the case then the documents would be posted tracked/recorded, and now the estate agent and the vendors solicitor are saying they are having a hard time getting in touch with the vendor.
    Something doesn't seem right here? Or am i just being paranoid?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,990Posts Today

6,015Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin