Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • funnymonkey
    • By funnymonkey 7th Feb 18, 10:14 AM
    • 103Posts
    • 15Thanks
    having to stop work..what benefits might I receive
    • #1
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:14 AM
    having to stop work..what benefits might I receive 7th Feb 18 at 10:14 AM
    Good morning
    Can you please help me.
    My son aged 13 has recently developed Pseudoseizures which looks like epilepsy and needs constant care.
    Can anyone tell me what benefits I may get.
    I am a single father of 2 children aged 10 and 13 and presently get 1000pcm from rental property and 300pcm children dla due to his ADHD.
    Thank you so much.
    Last edited by funnymonkey; 07-02-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Page 1
    • Annie35
    • By Annie35 7th Feb 18, 10:20 AM
    • 215 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    • #2
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:20 AM
    • #2
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:20 AM
    You could have a look at fill in the details & it gives you things like housing benefit, council tax discount, child tax credits etc, good place to start while someone comes along & can suggest carers allowances etc
    • venison
    • By venison 7th Feb 18, 8:54 PM
    • 1,940 Posts
    • 2,075 Thanks
    • #3
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:54 PM
    • #3
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:54 PM
    You could also contact epilepsy uk as NES (non epileptic seizures) are more common than you might think.
    I am a BG on loans,credit cards and benefits I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly". Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to Any views are mine and not the official line of
    • Ames
    • By Ames 7th Feb 18, 9:17 PM
    • 17,147 Posts
    • 30,146 Thanks
    • #4
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:17 PM
    • #4
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:17 PM
    I don't think you'll be entitled to means tested benefits. It's not just the income from the rental property but the value if above 16k will be counted as capital.

    You also need to check whether or not you're in a universal credit full service area.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,234Posts Today

8,106Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Facebook today admitted in parliament that after it heard of my defamation lawsuit against it for 50 fake scam ads?

  • RT @jamiesusskind: After more than 10 years, and with such sadness, I am leaving Labour. I'm doing it for the same reason that I joined: be?

  • RT @Deeangelique_: I suggested @MartinSLewis get 'I Don't Do Ads' tattooed to his forehead yesterday. Today he posted this. I gave Martin L?

  • Follow Martin