Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 7th Feb 18, 9:20 AM
    • 2,924Posts
    • 3,031Thanks
    LadyDee
    0 WOW
    Looking for route of historic flight
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:20 AM
    0 WOW
    Looking for route of historic flight 7th Feb 18 at 9:20 AM
    My very first trip to Australia was way back in 1968. My daughter asked me how many stops the plane had to make in those days, and I can only actually remember a stop in Singapore and one in Manilla (although the latter was quite possibly an unscheduled one due to mechanical trouble as we were there for two days). I'm sure I flew with BA/Qantas.

My daughter is sure that there must have been more stops in those days but I haven't been able to find anything online.

Can anybody suggest where to search for the information please? All paperwork has long since disappeared.
Page 1
    • skid112
    • By skid112 7th Feb 18, 9:54 AM
    • 288 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    skid112
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:54 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:54 AM
    try here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo_Route
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 7th Feb 18, 10:45 AM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,422 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:45 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:45 AM
    Also ask on the BA Flyertalk forum. Someone on there will know.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 7th Feb 18, 12:10 PM
    • 2,924 Posts
    • 3,031 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 7th Feb 18, 12:10 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 12:10 PM
    Thank you both for your suggestions.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 7th Feb 18, 12:59 PM
    • 3,503 Posts
    • 1,691 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 7th Feb 18, 12:59 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 12:59 PM
    Those days were pre-BA, it was BOAC (British Overseas Airways Corporation), which may help in googling etc.

There must have been at least five or six stops, something like Zurich - Beirut - Teheran - Karachi - one or two of Bombay/Delhi/Calcutta - S'pore - maybe Manila was on the schedule. Perhaps Rangoon, Bangkok or KL. Probably different days' flights had a different selection of stops.

Those are the more likely stops but I couldn't be sure, I never flew that route apart from a sector or two. I was more often hopping on and off the Pan Am round the world routes, which meandered leisurely via all the major cities, PA001 in one direction and PA002 in the other.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,043Posts Today

8,356Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Quick #eng pre-match poll. What result do you predict?

• I agree this glitch wasn't flights for 1p it was flights for c. £200 - I think many would've expected that to be th? https://t.co/QUTnlBLPkj

• Was the BA fare glitch fair? Are you one of those let down by BA cancelling cheap flights to Tel Avivandr Dubai? H? https://t.co/PvN8Zaxbue

• Follow Martin