Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dianesr53
    • By Dianesr53 7th Feb 18, 9:16 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Dianesr53
    Endowment maturing
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:16 AM
    Endowment maturing 7th Feb 18 at 9:16 AM
    Hi all
    My endowment policy finishes in June this year way short of projected amount. I am worried that the stock market fall this week will affect my pay out, should I cash in 4 months early or ride it out.
Page 1
    • TrickyDicky101
    • By TrickyDicky101 7th Feb 18, 9:23 AM
    • 3,028 Posts
    • 1,956 Thanks
    TrickyDicky101
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:23 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:23 AM
    Who's the endowment with, what type is it (ie is it unit linked) and do you have any valuable guarantees with it (such as a Mortgage Endowment Promise)?

Do you have a current surrender value?
    • Dianesr53
    • By Dianesr53 7th Feb 18, 10:59 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Dianesr53
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:59 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:59 PM
    It is with Barclays it is unit link and I have a cash in of 26,000 well short of projected amount of 40,000. I pay 75 per month
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 8th Feb 18, 12:17 AM
    • 6,599 Posts
    • 13,801 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:17 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:17 AM
    Does the endowment have a final bonus? Cashing it out just after the stock market has fallen is the very worst thing you can do. It may recover in a few weeks. You must have known about the shortfall for a while.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • TrickyDicky101
    • By TrickyDicky101 8th Feb 18, 8:38 AM
    • 3,028 Posts
    • 1,956 Thanks
    TrickyDicky101
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:38 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:38 AM
    It is with Barclays it is unit link and I have a cash in of 26,000 well short of projected amount of 40,000. I pay 75 per month
    Originally posted by Dianesr53
    If it is Unit Linked (and not Unitised With Profit) then there won't be a final bonus. Assuming it is Unit Linked then the value will very likely move in line with the markets (in which the underlying funds are invested) so it comes down to your own attitude to risk and whether you want certainty (cash in now) or hold on in the hope of a recovery in unit prices between now and maturity (at the risk of a further fall of course).
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 8th Feb 18, 8:54 AM
    • 37,302 Posts
    • 157,150 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:54 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:54 AM
    If there is any Mortgage Endowment Promise you will get something extra if you keep it to term.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 8th Feb 18, 10:34 AM
    • 6,599 Posts
    • 13,801 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:34 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:34 AM
    What were your intentions re the shortfall. Have you addressed that by going to part repayment for example?
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Dianesr53
    • By Dianesr53 8th Feb 18, 10:56 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Dianesr53
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:56 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:56 PM
    Thank you for your replies. I changed to a repayment mortgage years ago when we were first informed a shortfall so I have no worries. I think i will just sit tight for the last few months left
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,059Posts Today

8,359Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Quick #eng pre-match poll. What result do you predict?

• I agree this glitch wasn't flights for 1p it was flights for c. £200 - I think many would've expected that to be th? https://t.co/QUTnlBLPkj

• Was the BA fare glitch fair? Are you one of those let down by BA cancelling cheap flights to Tel Avivandr Dubai? H? https://t.co/PvN8Zaxbue

• Follow Martin