Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • M47
    • By M47 7th Feb 18, 9:13 AM
    • 21Posts
    • 0Thanks
    M47
    what should I be compensated ?
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:13 AM
    what should I be compensated ? 7th Feb 18 at 9:13 AM
    Hi everyone,

Last week I went into my local Halifax branch to deposit 600 into my personal bank account. I was asked to put my debit card into the card reader to do so.

The day before yesterday I checked upon my account and noticed that there was no trace of this money being deposited! The staff spoke to me as if I'd made a mistake at first too.

Later that day I was able to find the receipt and saw the bank manager yesterday.

It turned out that the cashier made the mistake and failed to shut down the previous customers details and she paid my money into a strangers account!!!

they have now refunded my money, and have offered to pay me some compensation.

What do you think a reasonable compensation amount? or should I even accept their offer ?
Page 1
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 7th Feb 18, 9:16 AM
    • 1,931 Posts
    • 7,090 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:16 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:16 AM
    Did you go overdrawn or incur any charges because of payments not being made as a result of the funds not being put in your account?

Anything they offer you is a bonus to be honest, you haven't suffered & you now have the money in your account. Someone made a mistake, they have apologised - I don't think (in my opinion) that you are due compensation but take whatever they offer you as a gesture.
    Hiraeth
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 7th Feb 18, 9:20 AM
    • 11,047 Posts
    • 29,442 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:20 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:20 AM
    Compensation is to recompense any lose incurred

I'd be happy with an apology in this situation
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 7th Feb 18, 9:37 AM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:37 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:37 AM
    Why would you be compensated?

Maybe for 24 hours worth of interest missed from the 600 - but that would be it
    • alanq
    • By alanq 7th Feb 18, 10:08 AM
    • 3,985 Posts
    • 2,585 Thanks
    alanq
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:08 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:08 AM
    A small amount of compensation for failure to investigate initially and having to spend time returning to branch with evidence.

I have been offered and accepted 30-60 for branch errors that have inconvenienced me. I have no experience of naming my price.
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 7th Feb 18, 10:20 AM
    • 891 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:20 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:20 AM
    A goodwill payment of about 50 should be enough to make you feel OK again? They won't call it compensation.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 7th Feb 18, 11:16 AM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 1,152 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:16 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:16 AM
    The cashier failed to shut down the previous customers details? What's wrong with these people? I hear you all saying 'somemade a mistake', but that's just not good enough when you are dealing with other people's money. I occasionally go into a building society to pay cash into my sons savings account and the cashiers are constantly yakking to each other and seem to be taking very little notice of what they're actually supposed to be doing.
    Thank goodness you found the receipt, or you'd probably be just another customer who was 'mistaken' or 'trying it on'.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 7th Feb 18, 11:33 AM
    • 3,135 Posts
    • 2,407 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:33 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:33 AM
    Did the receipt show the account number it was paid into?
    • takman
    • By takman 7th Feb 18, 1:20 PM
    • 3,319 Posts
    • 2,907 Thanks
    takman
    • 7th Feb 18, 1:20 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 1:20 PM
    You should really make sure you keep hold of your receipts when paying in money until it shows up in your account.

But they shouldn't be making mistakes like this and they should be double checking what they do. This is another good reason why paying in cash should be fully automated because there is no reason it can't be.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

348Posts Today

4,187Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin