Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • John Pots
    • By John Pots 7th Feb 18, 8:46 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    John Pots
    I want to know if this is considered benefit fraud
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:46 AM
    I want to know if this is considered benefit fraud 7th Feb 18 at 8:46 AM
    I have a non-British friend who's been living in the UK for 20+ years and claims income support, disability benefits, housing benefits and has even secured a permanent property (two floor house) from the local council.

However, they also happen to have an offshore (Dubai) account with a balance of 200k+ euros which remains undeclared to the (British) authorities and earns no interest and the money wasn't earned inside the UK.

Also, they've been using all that money (from their offshore account) to pay for some kind of media company because they (my friend) own and run a TV network in the UK but the network isn't based in the UK and doesn't even legally exist there, instead it's based in Dubai but airs from the UK through the internet (I'm not sure how they do it!).

1 - Are they (my friend) committing benefit fraud by claiming all these benefits when they have an offshore account with hundreds of euros in it?

2 - On a side note is airing from the UK when your media company/network is based somewhere else a crime? Again sorry if this is irreverent to money and benefits but it's related to everything else my friend is doing.

2 - If so, what's gonna happen if the authorities find out? What are the charges? Also who do I contact if I want to report them?
Page 2
    • borkid
    • By borkid 7th Feb 18, 11:42 AM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 3,567 Thanks
    borkid
    Hope HMRC know about his 'network' if he gets any income from it.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 7th Feb 18, 11:48 AM
    • 20,020 Posts
    • 53,745 Thanks
    Pollycat
    He doesn't pay for the council house he lives in. It's not rented. It was given to him by the council 6 years ago after living (with his family) in a temporary council home for 6 years.
    Originally posted by John Pots
    This sounds bizarre.

Are councils really so generous with their council houses?
    • Ames
    • By Ames 7th Feb 18, 11:56 AM
    • 17,239 Posts
    • 30,367 Thanks
    Ames
    This sounds bizarre.

Are councils really so generous with their council houses?
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    No. And in the first post the OP says the friend claims housing benefit.

I assume what they mean by 'given' a council house that isn't rented, is that they have a council house and the rent is paid by housing benefit rather than by the tenant.

It was surprising when the 'bedroom tax' came in how many people were shocked because 'I don't pay rent'.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 7th Feb 18, 12:27 PM
    • 20,020 Posts
    • 53,745 Thanks
    Pollycat
    No. And in the first post the OP says the friend claims housing benefit.

I assume what they mean by 'given' a council house that isn't rented, is that they have a council house and the rent is paid by housing benefit rather than by the tenant.

It was surprising when the 'bedroom tax' came in how many people were shocked because 'I don't pay rent'.
    Originally posted by Ames
    The OP also claimed in the first post that the friend claims income support.
    But apparently not:
    Well, maybe not income support but they're getting a lot of money because they're disabled. Sorry again if I'm being rather unspecific.
    I'm beginning to wonder just how much the OP actually does know about his friend.
    And how much chain-pulling the friend has been doing.
    • John Pots
    • By John Pots 7th Feb 18, 12:39 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    John Pots
    No you lot are right. I AM confused! But before reporting anything I would like to know what constitutes a criminal offense and what doesn't. I've already learned, thanks to you lot, that having an offshore account doesn't mean you're not eligible for DLA because the latter isn't means-tested.

Now to the council housing thing. My friend doesn't pay a damn thing. I'm not sure if it's because he's disabled and/or claims housing benefit, but I know he doesn't pay any rent. If council housing means a rent is still payed but not necessarily by the tenant/s, then my friend has clearly been claiming housing benefit this whole time, which is means-tested and therefore his failure to disclose his offshore accounts DOES constitute a criminal offense, namely, benefit fraud.

I'll keep you guys updated when I gather more information. You've been a help even though some of you think this whole debate was a waste of time. I assure you friends, 'tis not.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 7th Feb 18, 12:43 PM
    • 29,243 Posts
    • 74,702 Thanks
    Mojisola
    He doesn't pay for the council house he lives in. It's not rented. It was given to him by the council 6 years ago after living (with his family) in a temporary council home for 6 years.
    If thatís what heís told you, he sounds like a fantasist!
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 7th Feb 18, 1:03 PM
    • 1,096 Posts
    • 1,731 Thanks
    parkrunner
    Is it half-term?
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 7th Feb 18, 1:31 PM
    • 4,887 Posts
    • 5,220 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    A family being in temporary accommodation for an extended period then getting a council house, and the rent being paid by HB, doesn't sound far fetched. It's not unreasonable either that the OP doesn't know the name of the actual benefit being received by the other person. When somebody is receiving money from the state it is support for their income but may not be the benefit formally called Income Support.
    When I worked on ESA I would regularly speak to people who referred to their Incapacity Benefit despite having been on ESA for years. In some cases they had never claimed IB but used the term in its generic form. Questions shouldn't be discounted as phoney just because the wrong terminology is being used.
    If the OP's friend has managed to get a council house when they have many thousands of pounds in the bank they are almost certainly committing fraud and need to be reported.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 7th Feb 18, 1:39 PM
    • 20,020 Posts
    • 53,745 Thanks
    Pollycat
    A family being in temporary accommodation for an extended period then getting a council house, and the rent being paid by HB, doesn't sound far fetched. It's not unreasonable either that the OP doesn't know the name of the actual benefit being received by the other person. When somebody is receiving money from the state it is support for their income but may not be the benefit formally called Income Support.
    When I worked on ESA I would regularly speak to people who referred to their Incapacity Benefit despite having been on ESA for years. In some cases they had never claimed IB but used the term in its generic form. Questions shouldn't be discounted as phoney just because the wrong terminology is being used.
    If the OP's friend has managed to get a council house when they have many thousands of pounds in the bank they are almost certainly committing fraud and need to be reported.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    In the circumstances you outline above, I'd say the house is rented but the rent is being paid for by the council.
    Not this ^^^^

It may be the terminology the OP is using but by using specific terminology that has a certain meaning to other posters, the OP is confusing the issue.
    • Teasedale
    • By Teasedale 7th Feb 18, 9:47 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Teasedale
    1. Funny use of the term "friend". To me your motivation seems distinctly unfriendly!

2. PIP (a disability benefit) is not means tested.

3. I'm told that there are circumstances under which a LA can decide to buy a property outright and make a gift of it to the "client". I don't know which Act of Parliament this comes under, nor what conditions apply. Though I wish I did.
    • venison
    • By venison 7th Feb 18, 11:22 PM
    • 2,048 Posts
    • 2,192 Thanks
    venison
    Sorry but this thread seems to be moving away from what this forum is all about, we certainly can't advise on someone broadcasting TV over the internet from the front room of their council house.
    OP you and only you can make the decision as to wether you report your "friend" for fraud or not we are not in the possession of all the facts it also seems you aren't either.

For those reasons and only those reasons I'm going to close this thread.
    Ex Board Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

88Posts Today

1,181Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin