Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • beattiesman
    • By beattiesman 7th Feb 18, 8:20 AM
    • 266Posts
    • 8Thanks
    beattiesman
    New roof
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:20 AM
    New roof 7th Feb 18 at 8:20 AM
    my brother bought my mums flat for her through the right to buy council scheme he paid the mortgage on it .there are 4 flats in the block 3 are still council owned .they have sent my mum a letter to say they are putting a new roof on the block & as a leaseholder she will have to pay 6000 towards the cost which she has no chance of paying as she only has her state pension & gets pension credit aswell.what happens in a situation like this she is 94 years of age & is worried out of her mind about this
Page 1
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 7th Feb 18, 8:29 AM
    • 24,825 Posts
    • 92,136 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:29 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:29 AM
    I would tell your brother that this is the sort of responsibility that comes with purchasing property, so he'd better sort out a means to pay the bill.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Feb 18, 8:35 AM
    • 17,210 Posts
    • 15,521 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:35 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:35 AM
    And this is why RtB is not always a good plan...

Your mother needs to pay the bill for the property she owns. I'm sure your brother can find a way to paying it, as he's covering her mortgage and other costs. I am quite surprised that somebody of that age managed to get a mortgage in the first place, though.

If she does not pay it, the likely outcome is that the freeholder will obtain a charge against the property, to be satisfied on sale.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 7th Feb 18, 8:37 AM
    • 6,143 Posts
    • 5,966 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:37 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:37 AM
    Unfortunately, this is one of the risks of owning a leasehold property - you have to contribute to the cost of repairs to the building.

If the flat was bought recently, there should have been information about planned repairs (like the roof). Also, having a survey before buying might have highlighted that the roof was in poor condition (although that's little consolation now).

Who is the leaseholder - your brother or your mum? Whoever it is could try discussing their financial situation with the council. Some councils will allow payment by installment in this kind of situation.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 7th Feb 18, 8:39 AM
    • 9,059 Posts
    • 9,972 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:39 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:39 AM
    my brother bought my mums flat for her through the right to buy council scheme he paid the mortgage on it .there are 4 flats in the block 3 are still council owned .they have sent my mum a letter to say they are putting a new roof on the block & as a leaseholder she will have to pay 6000 towards the cost which she has no chance of paying as she only has her state pension & gets pension credit aswell.what happens in a situation like this she is 94 years of age & is worried out of her mind about this
    Originally posted by beattiesman
    If your brother bought it why have they sent your mum a letter ??

Anyway it seems straightforward, your brother bought it so it's his responsibility to pay for the roof repairs. Why is it anything to do with your mother ?

And why is your brother allowing your mother to be concerned ? Surely he should explain to your mother as he owns it he'll be paying the 6,000.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Feb 18, 8:50 AM
    • 17,210 Posts
    • 15,521 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:50 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:50 AM
    If your brother bought it why have they sent your mum a letter ??

Anyway it seems straightforward, your brother bought it so it's his responsibility to pay for the roof repairs. Why is it anything to do with your mother ?

And why is your brother allowing your mother to be concerned ? Surely he should explain to your mother as he owns it he'll be paying the 6,000.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    Because, of course, the brother didn't buy it. The brother gifted the money for the purchase to the tenant who had the RtB, the mother, and continues to gift a monthly amount the equivalent of the mortgage repayment...
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 7th Feb 18, 8:58 AM
    • 9,059 Posts
    • 9,972 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:58 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:58 AM
    But then .... but but but........ why has OP lied and told us brother bought it?

Why did mother buy it if she couldn't afford maintenance?

If OTOH some greedy relative such as a son convinced his elderly frail mother to buy so he could clean up when it came to inheritance time well he'd better shell out of his own pocket now then. Is he really so hard hearted as to throw his mum under a bus when it comes to a bill like this, and why is the OP whinging here about finding the money when its obvious if the son "bought it" he should also take the responsibility for repairs rather than expecting someone else to cough up?

They've had their RTB cake, now they are finding out the icing tastes a bit sour. Cry me a river.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 7th Feb 18, 9:09 AM
    • 940 Posts
    • 2,034 Thanks
    seashore22
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:09 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:09 AM
    Well someone's going to have to find the money. Does your brother still live in the flat or did he get kicked out as per your previous thread?
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 7th Feb 18, 9:19 AM
    • 2,564 Posts
    • 3,675 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:19 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:19 AM
    If the OP's that worried about it, he could always find the 6k her/himself....
    • G_M
    • By G_M 7th Feb 18, 11:13 AM
    • 43,844 Posts
    • 51,828 Thanks
    G_M
    This is a cost of ownership.

As a council tenant, your mother paid a modest rent and in return had security of tenure for life, and all maintenance expenses paid.

She and/or your brother saw an opportunity to 'benefit' from buying the property at the discounted RTB price, at the expense of the tax-payer.

They saw the positive aspects of this (perhaps selling in the future at a profit?) but failed to consider the negative aspects. ie

* mum's loss of a secure tenancy
    * the costs of home-ownership

The options now are to

* sell and move out, if a buyer can be found with a new roof required
    * pay for the share ofthe cost of the roof
    * default on the payment and be chased for payment via the various legal routes open to the freeholder
    Last edited by G_M; 08-02-2018 at 10:06 AM.
    • Mossfarr
    • By Mossfarr 7th Feb 18, 11:51 AM
    • 474 Posts
    • 656 Thanks
    Mossfarr
    As your brother 'bought' your Mums flat for her its now his responsibility to pay for the maintenance. I'm sure he can offset the costs against the profit he will no doubt make when the time comes to sell it.
    • paddycharlie
    • By paddycharlie 7th Feb 18, 11:57 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    paddycharlie
    Poor mother of 94 being put through this stress due to greedy family members looking to profit from the RTB.

This is your brothers doing so tell him to stump up the money to save your mother any further stress.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Feb 18, 11:59 AM
    • 15,390 Posts
    • 42,874 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    And this is why RtB is not always a good plan...

If she does not pay it, the likely outcome is that the freeholder will obtain a charge against the property, to be satisfied on sale.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    My first thought was to get the Council to put a charge on the property.

I would imagine they would be prepared to do so without too much ado - as she is 94. Putting it bluntly - they will anticipate getting their money back very soon in view of her age. Sorry to phrase it like that - but, looking at it dispassionately, that is the gist of how they are likely to feel about this (ie they are most unlikely to have to wait that long for it).
    Fastest way to get a headache = try and make someone that thinks for themselves conform to local "group think"
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 7th Feb 18, 12:11 PM
    • 4,384 Posts
    • 2,737 Thanks
    csgohan4
    I am saving this thread for anyone who is thinking of getting RTB via their relative

Unfortunately your brother is not going to like what he is going to hear, you can't have your cake and eat it
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Feb 18, 12:15 PM
    • 17,210 Posts
    • 15,521 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I am saving this thread for anyone who is thinking of getting RTB via their relative
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    It's proof positive of what they always get told when they ask...
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 7th Feb 18, 1:15 PM
    • 9,848 Posts
    • 5,295 Thanks
    dimbo61
    Either speak to the people doing the work or look on there website.
    Lots of good advice about how to pay this bill over a couple of years.
    All part of owning a property.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,846Posts Today

7,871Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I hate customer service lines that ALWAYS say, every time you ring (at any time in the day)... "sorry we are experi? https://t.co/GGCGM0WNai

• After the news I'm suing facebook over scam ads, people keep sending me ads with my pic in asking, ?is THIS ad with? https://t.co/lhTmijgnWt

• So Facebook just waxed lyrical about all the things they're doing to stop fake ads. Whoop de whoop. Yet THESE SCA? https://t.co/hP4q6kRuuQ

• Follow Martin