Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tumtitums
    • By Tumtitums 7th Feb 18, 8:11 AM
    • 200Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Tumtitums
    annual leave help please
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:11 AM
    annual leave help please 7th Feb 18 at 8:11 AM
    My contract says i get 32 days annual leave starting 1 Aug ending 30 Sep. I work 5 days per week and have a permanent contract . My contract says I work 35 hours notionally . If my last day of work following resignation is 10 May 2018 then how many days annual leave do i have if my annual leave is pro rata
    How will this be worked out
Page 1
    • marlot
    • By marlot 7th Feb 18, 8:27 AM
    • 3,499 Posts
    • 2,614 Thanks
    marlot
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:27 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:27 AM
    Different companies have slightly different ways of working it out. Its normally in the staff handbook (if there is one).

" annual leave starting 1 Aug ending 30 Sep" I think you may have made a little error here. Do you mean 1 October to 30 September?
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 7th Feb 18, 10:07 PM
    • 38,625 Posts
    • 35,356 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:07 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:07 PM
    Different companies have slightly different ways of working it out. Its normally in the staff handbook (if there is one).

" annual leave starting 1 Aug ending 30 Sep" I think you may have made a little error here. Do you mean 1 October to 30 September?
    Originally posted by marlot
    the other possibility is that the OP started on 1st August 2017 and the employer worked out their leave entitlement over 13 months to tie in with a leave year ending on 30 September. That would be a little under what I'd expect for statutory entitlement (28 days including bank holidays / 12 * 14)

So, a little clarification from the OP before we can answer, although the answer is likely to be no. of days' leave in a full year divided by 12 multiplied by actual months worked. how part months are calculated will vary, and note they can give you the exact amount, or round up, but cannot round down.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • Tumtitums
    • By Tumtitums 7th Feb 18, 11:13 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Tumtitums
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:13 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:13 PM
    sorry for the confusion. My annual leave year runs from 1 Aug to 31 Jul
    • paddedjohn
    • By paddedjohn 7th Feb 18, 11:27 PM
    • 7,153 Posts
    • 7,798 Thanks
    paddedjohn
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:27 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:27 PM
    Just over 3/4 of the entitlement, about 25 days but that is only an estimate up to 10th May, is that your actual finish date or do you have a notice period after that date
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
    • Tumtitums
    • By Tumtitums 8th Feb 18, 12:16 AM
    • 200 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Tumtitums
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:16 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:16 AM
    that will be my actual finish date if i give my required 3 months notice but i am hoping i can deduct annual leave from it , just wondering how much annual leave i will be eligible to deduct .
    Im also toying with just leaving without doing the whole notice period
    • Troll Stoppers
    • By Troll Stoppers 8th Feb 18, 2:53 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Troll Stoppers
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:53 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:53 PM
    I hope I've not misunderstood you. Just divide the A/L by the number of weeks. Then the number of weeks you are working before leaving should give you the amount
    • Ja7188
    • By Ja7188 8th Feb 18, 6:00 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    Ja7188
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:00 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:00 PM
    Also, check whether you continue to accrue holiday allowance during your notice period - I believe some companies take the view that you don't. You may well find that they will insist on you using your holiday allowance before leaving...

If you want to leave earlier than your contractual notice period, raise it with your employer directly - don't just walk out as you never know who in the company may have contacts in any other companies you could apply to in future - people do talk!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

594Posts Today

6,304Users online

Martin's Twitter